overland

East Mojave Heritage Trail: Nov 19-23

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
The East Mojave Heritage Trail is a 700+ mile loop consisting of 4 distinct segments through the Mojave National Preserve and surrounding areas. We'll likely take on most of segment 1 (backwards) and segment 3 (backwards), but we may hop around a bit and even finish through the lava fields section of Segment 2 if we make good time.

Route/GPX: GPX Download Link
You can also view the Google Map if you'd like to what we'll be taking on, but please use the GPX file above as it contains info about detours.

Meeting Location: Meet at 9am Saturday. Please make sure your rig and food supply are fully fueled up upon arriving at the meeting location.

Meet at Yates Well Road a few miles south of Primm on I-15. Lat Long:

35.540863, -115.416286

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/TNcamm5g5QiN8txb6

Event Ends: Wednesday morning, head home

Comms: GMRS channel 15: freq 462.550

Ben's Contact Info: Cell: 415-305-4299
Spot X Satellite Communicator (for use in the backcountry): 254-460-2664

Firewood: It will be cold at night in the desert, especially at higher elevation camps like Caruthers Canyon in the New York mountains. We're recommending that everyone bring extra firewood if have room in your vehicles.

Terrain: Sandy washes, lots of dirt roads, and some rockier tracks. Billy Creech who created the updated EMHT track on OnX, gives it a rating of a 4/10 (moderate). With the recent flashfloods, it's possible some of the trails may have suffered from erosion, and may be impassable. I've been in contact with Billy getting as much info on trail conditions as possible. Expect some detours from the Google map shared above.

Vehicle Requirements:
  • 4x4 with 4-low gearing (no AWD vehicles)
  • Aftermarket off road tires (AT, MT, RT) and a full size spare
  • Aftermarket lift recommended, but not required
Recommended Gear: Days can be cool to warm, but expect cold, and even possible sub-freezing temps at night. Dress accordingly!

Friday Night Camping: A small group of us will be driving down from Northern California. More info on where we'll be camping can be found later in this thread.

Carry Extra Fuel: Given the uncertainty of conditions from summer flash floords, we're recommending that everyone carry at least 5 gal of extra fuel, and if you can carry more, encourage you to bring this along for other folks who's vehicles may not be equipped to carry extra fuel.

Where Can I find Cheap Fuel?
A quick note about fuel prices, it looks like the "cheapest" fuel can be found in Barstow. Looking at both Google and Gas Buddy, fuel prices in Primm, NV are not nearly as cheap as you might expect, and it looks like fuel is actually cheaper in Barstow. If you're filling up extra rotopax/jerry cans (highly recommended), Barstow looks like your best bet. Fuel prices in Baker appear to be artificially high. The closest fuel location to the meetup spot is in Primm, about 8 minutes east of the meetup location along the Interstate.

Last edited:

Gvb40

Weekend Warrior

The East Mojave Heritage Trail​

A journey with purpose
reclaimed route challenges pathfinders​

By Bill Creech
Photography by Bill Creech and Tony Talbert
After reading this guys article about the trail I don’t think it is one for a Sprinter.​

Walnut

Trail Grom
Thanks for setting this up, Ben. The boy and I are looking forward to the trip!

johnlcrain

Trail Grom
Looks like it's full, I just joined so that's ok. I've run the Mojave half a dozen times and in both directions this should be a fun run.

How often do the organized events happen?

Maybe I'll sign up for the next one

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Looks like it's full, I just joined so that's ok. I've run the Mojave half a dozen times and in both directions this should be a fun run.

How often do the organized events happen?

Maybe I'll sign up for the next one

It depends on my availability, but usually 2-3x per year but we typically they tend to be private events (which is why you see the enrollment is locked). We will be launching paid tours under our sister company American Safari Company in the next month or so, which will be open to anyone to register. Be sure to keep an eye on the homepage for the East Mojave Heritage Trail route guide which should be published at some point this month. It will be the most extensive digital map available for the EMHT available. We've plotted 100+ discovery points and dozens of other points of interest based on the 4 volume EMHT book series :)

Walnut

Trail Grom
@OTG Ben do we know roughly how many people are scheduled to come? Curious how food is usually handled. Are we all on our own or do you ever do shared meals?

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
@OTG Ben do we know roughly how many people are scheduled to come? Curious how food is usually handled. Are we all on our own or do you ever do shared meals?

During the last few trips, it's been a bit of everyone doing their own thing.

johnlcrain

Trail Grom
During the last few trips, it's been a bit of everyone doing their own thing.
For the group trips my group run we typically use Notion and we all pick meals and pre agree on who will bring which gear. Helps share cooking duties and avoids people having to pack cooking gear they won't need. We find it's as easy to cook for 10 as it is for 2 which means we each only have to plan a few meals. Notion is a great tool for trip planning.

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom
Hi everyone. I am checking in for this trip too. Me and the rest of the family is looking forward for this great adventure. I’ve done what @johnlcrain says with other groups. It’s also a great way to try different other cuisines and styles. Let’s see how this idea develops. And of course, thanks Ben for setting up this adventure.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@Walnut As of right now we have 9 confirmed rigs, but we may be adding one more. My guess is that the group will be 7-10 once the event actually happens, but we've had really strong turnout with these events.

As far as meal planning, if you guys would like, we can put together a Notion page to see if folks want to participate. It wouldn't be a bad idea with Thanksgiving just a few days away once we hit the trail!

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
I find it challenging enough to cook enough volume for my family of 4 (of healthy eaters), given my stove and pot/pan repertoire and the table prep limitations. I can't even imagine cooking enough for 30 people out in the sticks ---- Sorry, this wouldn't be my first choice.

litefoot06

Trail Grom
I just find out today about EMHT Where do I register for it
That trail is in my bucket list
I live in Joshua Tree not to far from Needle
Thank for putting that trail

Walnut

Trail Grom
I find it challenging enough to cook enough volume for my family of 4 (of healthy eaters), given my stove and pot/pan repertoire and the table prep limitations. I can't even imagine cooking enough for 30 people out in the sticks ---- Sorry, this wouldn't be my first choice.
I’m with you. I’m used to trips with 3-5 rigs and maybe 10 people. That’s doable for sure. 30 is a different level.
With that said, I certainly don’t mind sharing food once we are out there.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I just find out today about EMHT Where do I register for it
That trail is in my bucket list
I live in Joshua Tree not to far from Needle
Thank for putting that trail

We're all booked up for this one. Be sure to keep an eye on the Trail Run/Events page that can be found on the homepage.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I’m with you. I’m used to trips with 3-5 rigs and maybe 10 people. That’s doable for sure. 30 is a different level.
With that said, I certainly don’t mind sharing food once we are out there.

Def won't be 30-- that'd be mayhem for a multi-day run!