overland

East Mojave Heritage Trail: Nov 19-23

Walnut

Trail Grom
Thanks for sharing the camp locations, Ben! My son (6) and I are aiming to be down in that area around 3 or 4pm and will try to grab a spot at Baker Burn if anyone wants to join. I have a white GMC with a blue military trailer with the tent on top. I will try to post any updates here on Friday.

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
Thanks for sharing the camp locations, Ben! My son (6) and I are aiming to be down in that area around 3 or 4pm and will try to grab a spot at Baker Burn if anyone wants to join. I have a white GMC with a blue military trailer with the tent on top. I will try to post any updates here on Friday.
This looks like a decent location. We will be joining you and checking for any updates regarding the spot (thanks @Walnut). Like Ben, we will be departing the Sacramento area between noon and 1pm with a 10ish ETA. Probably pop up the GFC and crash after the drive.

CAchief

Weekend Warrior
If you guys are heading to Baker Burn Friday night, it appears Kelbaker Road is closed per the NPS Conditions report and there is a closure gate. Mever Lane off of Kelbaker Road appears to lead to the site just not sure if the turn is before or after the gate?

Looks like you can still get to the site via a dirt track off of Zzyzx Road.

This panorama looks to be the site: https://goo.gl/maps/LJGZMqBstmamdKwB8

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@Walnut @DPurdy85 @BBE_YOTA

Looks like we'll need to find another site given the closure on Kelbaker Road. Here are two other possible locations:

Razor Road, this specific loation looks better than what's marked in iOverlander. You can see folks camping here on the satellite layer in google maps.

35.127526, -116.154100

And this one is a bit further east and off the road.

Walnut

Trail Grom
Great info, Chief.
Ben I saw that site too. Looks solid. I assume people would prefer to get closer to Primm so the morning drive is shorter?

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
I am open to either. I guess it is a tradeoff; shorter drive for us norcal travelers or more time in the morning. The second spot looks like a nicer location but pretty far off hwy. Also, I would like to add my satellite communicator # (text) for reference just in case: +18437382043. I want to apologize in advance as we might not have payload capacity for firewood. I have a 4cyl tacoma...and generally we don't have fires or we collect onsite (impossible on this trip lol).

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Given the length of the drive on Friday, I'd prefer to trim some time/miles off of that. With that in mind, I'm proposing Rasor Road, but somewhere around this location, which is a bit further down the road:

35.127526, -116.154100

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Where Can I find Cheap Fuel?
A quick note about fuel prices, it looks like the "cheapest" fuel can be found in Barstow. Looking at both Google and Gas Buddy, fuel prices in Primm, NV are not nearly as cheap as you might expect, and it looks like fuel is actually cheaper in Barstow. If you're filling up extra rotopax/jerry cans (highly recommended), Barstow looks like your best bet. Fuel prices in Baker appear to be artificially high. The closest fuel location to the meetup spot is in Primm, about 8 minutes east of the meetup location along the Interstate.

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
The Rasor rd. location is fine for us. Thanks for the fuel tip, we will fill up in Barstow and top off in the morning if needed. Also, I assume we will need/have opportunities to refuel during the trip. I will bringing my Jerry can (5gal) but just wondering if we will be able to grab extra water, snacks, and ice cream treat for my son...and me. If not, it's cool as we will have supplies for the duration of the trip.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@BBE_YOTA

We'll most likely make fuel stops at Fenner on Sunday once we finish up Segment 1, and Ludlow on late Mon or early Tues. You may want to check Google to see what sort of food options are at these locations-- both are places-- not in the middle of a town.

Walnut

Trail Grom
Hey Everyone,

Here are some details for those coming Friday Night:
  • ETA: 3 - 4pm
  • Coordinates: 35.12613, -116.15371
    • I'll find enough room for at least 4 rigs
  • Description: White GMC Sierra, with blue military trailer
    • Look for the blue lights (see picture)
  • I'll bring as much firewood as possible, at least enough for Friday and possibly Saturday nights
  • If there are any major changes, I will update this post

Gaia Link to proposed campsite
Gaia Link for route from highway to campsite

20221116_065804234_iOS.jpg

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
We have departed the greater Sacramento area (Roseville) and heading south. Woohoo!

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
Was a quick trip home, pulled into the driveway right around 1pm.

The kid and I had a great trip, can't wait for the next one!

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
Under the heading "My Own Stupidity Knows No Bounds" --- remember my radio crapped out very early on the trip? Well, I "checked" the relay box. Turns out the little BRIGHT RED light in front of the fuse means "the damn fuse is blown". Who knew. On the switch panel inside the cab, a little red light means the circuit is active and in use. Sigh ....
On another note, it was a great few days hanging out with all of you. I'm sure we'll meet up again soon. Happy Turkey Day! Thanks, Ben, for putting all of this together.

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
Thank you all for an amazing trip. Big thanks to Ben for facilitating and leading. It was an honor meeting and adventuring with you all. I dropped Otto off at school today; he immediately started bragging to his friends about it! We can't wait for the next trip. EPIC TRIP!!

Luinil

Weekend Warrior
Am planning on doin get his route 12/27 to 1/5 and am curious what the road conditions were like. I now some of the Mojave roads got washed out in this years monsoons. Did you come across any major washouts or other road issues?

Walnut

Trail Grom
Ben, I echo everyone's comments. Thanks for a fantastic trip. Lifelong memories for sure, and quality father/son bonding time. Too bad we had to cut our trip short, but made for fun stories. Glad everyone made it home safe.

Couple pictures from the trip:

EMHT%20-1.jpg

y4mw1flNluX74Z376KXPEMZNBojUpHx5nOlle_RodagI9GeG3Ej9Ru7bkZyp5Esa50VyLCT_GMlDcj1_YliwNITXhWwc5xiVjijQPNDOwgbJeVcMAATyXedM9TJBG5_-dvmRxDGT6CIOl-fAce2wU-IoSdWl-B4e7KEeUfIClvoGAr6laBiQVTAHQVNefkgRXzz6q7iTZUspy8mbRE99CUC7azEQKjDrpk3t8cCHoQcOSs

y4myE0Kg3aP1nqwP_ocxEr3-TBzissk8bKB-5sMy529tpLJvY6x0yHbGeeK-Avq9xgsfcPvwhBZ_24Ab5aBt9x3lwe48GsDrhhS4tDFD1IGKhcIbQyfkygaG-EI6Qmxg4bEebyOyhonZTIJU_zZBXcK3lmnKVQZkpUnlkXIbEdn_BblJZu_hYrZNMX4jHNmIXFAk0JJAh_BhdCIJ1osLd8wGLXAcgiAS3x7tyCVV6m23r8

y4mdI056U3VuC3szLMBkbh8fzCcszYJBgxWNYOSfyNV1eTlfpXE4YBq32tR46TVm1-HWlAarGl0O6o6MSYV3mYDWGkRt3R2HV7rutQfD4fX1RcpkDojyBpsDKXZQNOjq7AennObVuTa-Je09OGoIjb8ANcS7QAOC7fHJmjaD2DhocWdNPOD1PAF6WJRQwswx2CF-IYWqJoJV0wSsmvsNGo_mNXhOt74iPJCWhS6nTbvdRs

y4m8LhGcf4aeIQVx-57TGgoqB_Cu_gMQZDYJkLA3Obdo0cxtHjtcfJ74e69o0WOPNguXgfHO6WcFFYdrByTJxNC0ZglvA-zXpY4jNsMrO0Am9AP9mnoMS8jR6Y-LHwQQh158nnvMOSisb28P63lIiJAaXKQ9v6jc8pUAZrseYIJK30ZSnhH6N2d3WC1HWjdkeNTqAzTY-G6os_iqzYsZHw_jxSoLjdeTCennSENmVcCnw0

y4mXcqimI3cFu3WU5M7SoQ1YVSaFL_wUiQEfVXZCK5-uwW0Re1Y28nfllO4weP5bJuqpDm8CwzBV8B9RP17nTwChfZyMjL6DAHCPKwdYZmOYWaX13MQn65a_4Mpd_p35JJOF7t0t45DiLsOegcUogaDxwUfQrv3wGAosrV6MkIAK-ctzv93hJLrrMw8pOWtGLST5nVYNu_EAkrnzqPQNq2OJ_1ABmIO9CLNXoNVUpGl6b0

y4mJ615tCIbSDAfXzpd4H3LJ9a11XjIlvWzpSSmSF3GqC8RfF7rVPnvI_J3RSx7IOpORODvl7Y78xtVlNDovwXCpNPBq0PraMXCuJnjWAx1hdY6FspoemgvmbZucpTJWzLqrwCmtsmbGLbrb_fQOzduK27efS1z1OawdMh32sYDfIFdYCR8QlQoHmYz1olW47ZLvMQ1jYRZDn2w74eJqAr7O7vVK3qSUiuDhsJ04fgk3KU

y4m4OSEzbqf1esiH82UOPwZLAAoUJ4FUTQ7maoAhoVY_u9Ld-utBtuAaIN8YXY0rB8bil0whF5FYsI20XZZMsMXBFfeaVPfofwyah3tc9N4N0JfEkNy4lSPzQnw0TfguqGldBpKRSUkquNUDDWO_M06EhesMNNZTayFBqDo5UVYFdz7n6Ni1n0ay9FerW3Qs8uWlLzMNaVE9LuiCXhj7aGlGDqh7JHeNXonEbEP5e5jta0