overland

Mojave Road Planning and campsite selection pondering

bikerjosh

Trail Grom
Just putting together a trip that will be my second time through Mojave Rd. Will likely have between 6-8 rigs, and plan is to spend 3 days on the trail. The first night's camp spot I would like to use Caruther's Canyon (again) but worried that trying to accomplish that on a Friday is not very likely for the first weekend in April. I am assuming this spot is one of the premier spots, so for those of you who have done the route is this a tough spot to get on a Friday? I could possibly start the trip a day earlier and camp here on Thursday. The second day on the trail I wanted to hit Hole In the Wall, hike the Rings trail and get back on the trail. If we are trying to come off the trail by EOD on 3rd day any suggestions where a good campsite location for the second night would be? We are looking at the typical side trips/stops, mailbox, lava tubes, travelers monument, Kelso train station (if open by then?), afton canyon. Assuming this is doable in 3 days although the first time I did this we skipped Hole in the Wall, but consistently started late(10-10:30a) each day on the trail. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am also aware of all the current damage to roads/trails so final route will also take that into consideration as we get closer to date. Thanks

Pphylo

Trail Grom
If you're expecting to get the prime spot at the top, Camp Phallus, that can be a crap shoot. We went in two years ago on a Sunday and just happened to drive in as two vehicles vacated. Got lucky. We did the whole trek in 3 days. We had planned to do 4 but a weather front was moving in with high winds forecast so we powered through. We hit everything you mentioned except the lava tubes. We started from Bullhead City and spent the first night at Camp Phallus. Did the Rings on day two, as well as, Evening Star Mine to the North then down to Kelso for lunch, then on to the Mailbox. I think we spent the second night just a little past Kelbaker Rd up against the rocks out of the wind. I remember we could see highway 15 in the distance to the North. On day 3 we drove on to the Traveler's Monument, out Afton Canyon, and made it all the way home to the Bay Area. A little whirlwind of a trip but doable.

bikerjosh

Trail Grom
@Pphylo , yep that is the spot. Funny thing is the first time I camped there, hadn't heard the unofficial name and was looking through my pictures afterward when I noticed that rock formation. LOL

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
If you want to get some ideas of what else is out in the desert in the Mojave NP, check out our route guide for the East Mojave Heritage Trail. If you're going to go to Kelso Station, you could camp at Kelso Dunes (end of the road) or out in the Cinder Cone Lava Fields, which is a pretty surreal experience as well.

bikerjosh

Trail Grom
If you want to get some ideas of what else is out in the desert in the Mojave NP, check out our route guide for the East Mojave Heritage Trail. If you're going to go to Kelso Station, you could camp at Kelso Dunes (end of the road) or out in the Cinder Cone Lava Fields, which is a pretty surreal experience as well.
Thanks Ben . I watched that video pretty cool scenery. Recently completed a trip w/some friends on White Rim Trail, pretty epic. Used the coordinates on this page though, having done it now I don't think there is a way you could get lost? LOL

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Ben . I watched that video pretty cool scenery. Recently completed a trip w/some friends on White Rim Trail, pretty epic. Used the coordinates on this page though, having done it now I don't think there is a way you could get lost? LOL

Certainly not the case on the East Mojave Heritage Trail! I'm impressed by all of the old timers who used to go out with the guidebooks and papermaps and follow the track. It's a veritable maze of trails and roads crisscrossing the desert, and the EMHT uses several rarely traveled roads, except for folks who are actually doing the EMHT.... or maybe looking to dispose of a body :p