overland

Mendocino Discovery trail

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Folks are just getting into the high country. I've been seeing lots of people post about washouts and deadfall. However, most of the track follows main forest roads like M1. Three is a known washout on M1 just south of Howard Lake. You'll need to take Espee Ridge up to Anthony Peak to get around that section. I would also anticipate the possibility of washouts on the north sectinon of the track that goes up and around Anthony Peak.

djhansen-8943

Trail Grom
Thanks for the Intel! It also looks like rge usual trailhead is blocked around middle creek campground.

Looks like there is an alternative route from potter valley though. Have either of you gone this way before?

David

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the Intel! It also looks like rge usual trailhead is blocked around middle creek campground.

Looks like there is an alternative route from potter valley though. Have either of you gone this way before?

David

Google Maps should be able to get you there. Make sure you cross the bridge so you're on the north side of the Eel River (county road 301). The road on the south side is sometimes gated-- it was open in April, but it's never a guarantee. It's also possible to get around the Elk Mountain Closure on forest service roads just north of Elk Mountain Road, but no idea what the deadfall situation is, and possible you hit a washout too, so best bet is probably hitting the potter valley route.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the info. I plan on hitting the portion of the MBCDT from Upper Lake to Lake Pilsbury this Saturday. I'll report back what I find.
I believe elk mountain road is still closed. Double check that before you head out. There are dirt roads that can bypass it, but no idea what sort of condition they're in. You may be better off coming in through Potter Valley in Lake Pillsbury.

ghostsqu-6893

Trail Grom
I believe elk mountain road is still closed. Double check that before you head out. There are dirt roads that can bypass it, but no idea what sort of condition they're in. You may be better off coming in through Potter Valley in Lake Pillsbury.
Thanks! Elk Mountain is still closed.
I woke up to a flat tire this morning so I got a late start. Switched out to my full sized spare and debated whether or not I should just jam out but common sense got the better of me and I waited for Les Schwab to open and fix my tire. I didn't want to risk being the dummy out there with a flat and no spare, so I didn't make it to Upper Lake until 11:30AM.

Anyway - Wifey and I took 16N30 / 16N01 up to Deer Valley Campground and had lunch there and then backtracked to hiway 20. 16N30 / 16N01 are in pretty good condition and we made it up to Deer Valley without needing 4WD. Saw a couple of Subarus and a CRV out there. I'll be heading back out to the area the weekend of June 10th if anyone wants to join.

Only got a few pics today.

Attachments

• IMG_6321 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6321 (Medium).JPG
    272 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6328 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6328 (Medium).JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6332 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6332 (Medium).JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 4

djhansen-8943

Trail Grom
Just got back from a few days on the trail!

I entered from the potter valley direction. No issues on getting to lake Pillsbury and the M1. From there we took M1 up to just shy of hull mountain. Once you're over 6K elevation there is still snow on the trail. While the road is open, we couldn't get past some of the larger snowbanks. Judging off tire tracks, it didn't seem like anyone else had crossed them either.

After this we backtracked and headed up to Covelo and Eel river. We were able to cover a lot more ground heading south on the M1 but ultimately hit more snow at the 6K mark that was also impassable. Same applied around the lookout mountain area.

Beyond snow, the roads are in good shape. I think the trail will be fully ready to go next month if it stays warm.

Also, I think we found your secret campsite, Ben. Great spot! We won't tell a soul.

Attachments

• IMG-20230530-WA0095.jpg
    IMG-20230530-WA0095.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20230530-WA0107.jpg
    IMG-20230530-WA0107.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230528_105229.jpg
    20230528_105229.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited: