overland

Trail Run: Mendocino BDT | Oct 15 - 17

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Join the OTG crew for a trip through the Mendocino National Forest. The plan is to begin in Upper Lake and work our way north following the Mendocino BDT route. We'll be capturing video along the way to create a new video route guide, but stoppage for filming is typically kept to a minimum. There's a possibility we may move things north to the Siskiyou Sasquatch Trail (Ashland, OR) if the forest remains closed or smoke conditions reach unhealthy levels.

Meeting Location
Friday, Oct 15 at 9am
Location: 9485 Main St, Upper Lake, CA 95485 (First and Main)

Communications
FRS/GMRS:
Channel 15 / Freq 462.550

Weather & Gear
We'll be covering elevations that range from roughly 500' to7000', so expect a wide range in temperatures. Daytime highs at lower elevation can be in the 70s to 80s during the day, while at higher elevation when visiting locations like Anthony Peak, temps can dip down into the 40s and even 30s if we hit colder weather. You should also come prepared for night time temps that dip below freezing.

Fires & Grills are a go!
As of October 13 the Mendocino NF has rescinded all fire restrictions, which means we're good to have open flames (wood or charcoal) anywhere in the forest. Please make sure you have your fire permit from Cal Fire (also required for propane grills).

Leave No Trace
We take Leave No Trace principles very seriously at OTG. Please make sure you bring the necessary gear to pack out all of your own trash. Because we are camping adjacent to a river and floodplain that feeds into a reservoir, we will not be burying any solid human waste at the campsite. Many of our members have their own camp toilet setups, so if you don't have one, you can bet there will be one on site that is available for public use. But it is your responsibility to pack out and dispose of your waste.

Dogs
If you have a well behaved dog, feel free to bring Fido along on this adventure. A few things to note about dogs, because water levels are very low this year, keep your dog away/out of water with large algae blooms, which can be very dangerous to dogs (and humans). We also ask that you be diligent about cleaning up after your pet and being mindful of fellow campers.

Camp Location & GPX File
Non-Subcribers: https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/gpx-mendocino-bdt-route
Subscriber (comes with waypoints):https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/gpx-mendocino-bdt

Running Late?
If you're running late, you can text/SMS me (Ben) via my SpotX satellite communicator. I can also text back with messages and lat / long: 254-460-2664

Just make sure you top off your tank at the Soda Creek Store near Lake Pillsbury.

Possible campsite locations for night 1 are:

#1 North of Hull Mtn
39.53474, -122.94934

#2 Deer Camp
39.58893, -122.94836

#3 Cushman Lake (access via M61 and 20N17, about .5 miles from M1)
39.61692, -122.95686

#4 Grizzly Flat
39.69879, -122.99148

#5 Skunk Rock (22N49)
39.72006, -123.05316

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I'm in for this one, providing we are able to go due to any fire restrictions

We'll be watching how things progress next week. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the forests extend the forest closure beyond Sept 17.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Looks like the closure order is ending early, except in Southern California.

I saw and thanks for posting. I'll send out an email by end of week informing the group of the good news. If I'm being completely honest, I was kind of looking forward to the closure to be an excuse to head north to the Rogue-River Siskiyou NF in Southern Oregon!! ;)

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I see that registration is full. Is there a waiting list?

We're full at the moment, but there's almost always cancellations leading up to these events. I just sent a blast to the attendees providing an update about the re-opening of the national forests, and also asked for anyone who cannot make it to please let us know.

Joshbib

Trail Grom
We're full at the moment, but there's almost always cancellations leading up to these events. I just sent a blast to the attendees providing an update about the re-opening of the national forests, and also asked for anyone who cannot make it to please let us know.
Copy that, I’ll just stay tuned in to this forum!

2springs3

Trail Grom
I am an Amateur Radio Operator and wondering if anyone in this group that is going on this trip is also an Amateur Radio Operator. If so, I would like to make radio contact with any and all Amateur Radio Operators from this group.

There is a is a 2m Repeater on Anthony Peak That is good for com to Sacramento Valley NE to Redding, Sierra Foothills and SW to Sacramento and some areas South of that . freq. 145.4300 | Offset -0.6 MHz | 103.5 Tone

There is also a very robust Repeater System in the area that has 5 Liked Repeaters that we locals call "Countywide". At least 3 of the 5 repeaters are in range of a 50 Watt mobile VHF Ham Radio with a good antenna.
1- freq. 147.675 | Offset -0.6 MHz | 179.9 Tone
Upper Lake, Hunter Point

2- freq. 147.3900 | Offset +0.6 MHz | 103.5 Tone
is North of Ukiah on Laughlin Ridge

3- freq. 145.470 | Offset -0.6 MHz | 103.5 Tone
Hopland

These repeaters can be very helpful in an emergency when there is no Cell Phone Service available.

Just give your Call Sign on one of those Repeaters and someone will almost always get back to you.

Website Link for the Linked Repeater System, (Mendocino County Amateur Radio Communications Service):
http://173.236.97.50/~mcarcsor/doku.php?id=start

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Just read the news on the Mendocino NF FB page, all fire restrictions have been rescinded as of today! What does that mean? We can have open flames (wood campfires) anywhere in the forest. Woot woot! 🔥🧯🔥🧯

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey folks,

If you are lagging for whatever reason, I've posted my SpotX # and possible campsites in the original post. Feel free to text me. I can reply back with lat + long of our current location. We'll be most likely camping somewhere north of Hull Mountain along M1. I'd recommend topping off your tank at the general store near lake pillsbury, as you'll need it unless you're carrying extra fuel!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
The group is rolling out from upper lake. If you're behind schedule, just food the route and you should run to us. Well be breaking for lunch near lake Pillsbury, sofa creek store area. Well be on channel 462.550