overland

Driving from Legget to the Lost Coast.

Deportes

Trail Grom
I am planning on taking our 95 F250 4x4 with a popup overhead camper. Is there plenty of pull out areas for returning traffic to Hiway 1. ?
Thanks.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hi @Deportes

Can you clarify your question a bit. I'm not sure which location you're asking about exactly. Are you asking if there are pull outs along highway 1 to camp on south of the Road to Usal Beach?

Deportes

Trail Grom
Sorry, I am trying to find out if when you taking Usal Rd. to get to Usal Beach from Westport CA. is there plenty of room for on coming traffic to pass?
Thanks.

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Sorry, I am trying to find out if when you taking Usal Rd. to get to Usal Beach from Westport CA. is there plenty of room for on coming traffic to pass?
Thanks.

In most sections yes. The first mile or so is a bit narrower, but it opens up. But lots of oversized rigs go out that way including Sprinter Vans and EarthRoamers and EarthCruisers, so you should be fine. ;)

Just keep in mind that CA State Parks manages Usal Beach, and while you'll see people driving and camping on the beach, it is against their regs to drive any vehicle onto the sand. And, if you camp back in the actual campground, you'll avoid the wind that's often whipping through the beach.