overland

Beginner - southern california

Nedmski

Trail Grom
I’m a complete beginner, and have a 2019 Subaru Outback. I just took it on the mammoth to June loop, and then through the basic lookout loop on the 395 and I had an amazing time and want to do more.

I see the routes on this page mention whether or not you can take a 4x4 adventure van or not. Would it be safe to assume that if it says you can take an adventure van that I can take my stock Subaru Outback?

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey @Nedmski

Thanks for joining OTG! Your stock Outback should be at least as capable off road as a typical Sprinter 4x4. The biggest difference is that many Sprinter 4x4s have aftermarket suspension to make the rough roads, well, a bit less, well rough! For example, a stock Subaru or sprinter 4x4 can easily take on the Tahoe Backcountry Discovery Trail, but you're going to feel beat up on a few sections due to the sheer amount of rocks on trails like upper Henness Pass and around Meadow Lake. If you see high clearance 4x4 as the recommended vehicle, definitely steer clear. Most routes listed as "4x4 w/ All Terrain tires" can be driven by an AWD vehicle, but we purposefully hedge on being more conservative so that the folks who don't like punishment feel like they've been duped into an unenjoyable experience :)

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I know you're in SoCal, but most of the Backcountry Discovery Trails (besides El Dorado) are suitable for an AWD / Crossover vehicle like a Subaru or RAV4. I pretty much always recommend these for folks looking to get their "sea legs" for off road adventure travel.

For SoCal, there's still a lot you can explore. Try Jawbone Canyon that leads in Sierra NF. You should also be able to do most of the travels in/around Joshua Tree NP, and there's still a lot you can explore in Death Valley NP, but i'd recommend skipping trails like Steele Pass, Mengal Pass, and Lippincott Pass.

Superduty

Trail Grom
I know you're in SoCal, but most of the Backcountry Discovery Trails (besides El Dorado) are suitable for an AWD / Crossover vehicle like a Subaru or RAV4. I pretty much always recommend these for folks looking to get their "sea legs" for off road adventure travel.

For SoCal, there's still a lot you can explore. Try Jawbone Canyon that leads in Sierra NF. You should also be able to do most of the travels in/around Joshua Tree NP, and there's still a lot you can explore in Death Valley NP, but i'd recommend skipping trails like Steele Pass, Mengal Pass, and Lippincott Pass.

The trail guides look great. What are your thoughts on vehicle length on some of the routes in the trail guide? For example a full size truck - crew cab with long bed. It could be set up well with all terrain tires and suspension, but some trails can be very tight when they get into the trees or rocks.

Nedmski

Trail Grom
Thanks for the trail suggestions Ben - not sure how I missed that before.
I will tackle some of the stuff in Joshua tree and let you know how it goes!

LCPOWCREW

Trail Grom
Hey @Nedmski

Thanks for joining OTG! Your stock Outback should be at least as capable off road as a typical Sprinter 4x4. The biggest difference is that many Sprinter 4x4s have aftermarket suspension to make the rough roads, well, a bit less, well rough! For example, a stock Subaru or sprinter 4x4 can easily take on the Tahoe Backcountry Discovery Trail, but you're going to feel beat up on a few sections due to the sheer amount of rocks on trails like upper Henness Pass and around Meadow Lake. If you see high clearance 4x4 as the recommended vehicle, definitely steer clear. Most routes listed as "4x4 w/ All Terrain tires" can be driven by an AWD vehicle, but we purposefully hedge on being more conservative so that the folks who don't like punishment feel like they've been duped into an unenjoyable experience :)
Hi Ben - wondering how much lift would be needed on a Land Cruiser 200 series to be considered adequate for routes rated “high clearance 4x4”. I have AT (32.6") tires and rock sliders; however, not sure I want to lift it. You have put so many awesome trail guides out there and don’t want to always be limited to alternate easy routes. No interest in rock crawling…but open to challenging passes for the reward. Thanks!

Last edited: