overland

Big Sur and Some Epic Heat

Decided to escape to Big Sur last thursday to avoid the heat, big mistake. On the way up to the ridge the transmission in my trusty 2016 4Runner developed a heat warning. That was an omen. I let it cool and switched to 4 LO. The climb was about 2000ft in 2.5 miles, the trail was sandy and loose in quite a few places. I believe the elevation combined with the heat caused the temp warning in the transmission. Let it cool, switch to 4LO and no more issues.
We arrived at our campsite about 3.30pm and baked, it was incredibly hot even in the shade. We unpacked and set up camp about 5.30 hoping for a cool down. The sunset at 7.20 was amazing and by 8.00pm we felt a cooling breeze come off the ocean.

DSC09243-2.jpg

We sat and enjoyed a beer when we noticed a strange warm off shore breeze come over our shoulders. That was the beginning of a WARM offshore breeze that lasted all night long. When we woke for sunrise the temp was 91 degrees :(. That was the hottest night I have ever camped in.

DSC09325.jpg

DSC09320.jpg

You can tell it was really warm, no need for shirts even at 6.20 AM. We packed quickly and decided to head down to the coast in search of cooler temperatures. When we hit the ocean the temp was 70 degrees and very pleasant. Here was the temp as we left the Ridge.

IMG_2967.jpeg

As usual the views were epic and we headed down to the coast for some breakfast burritos :). Once we left the crazy heat behind us life got a little bit better. No idea why it was so hot. I heard on FB that the temp was 118 during the day up on the ridge. Crazy times.

IMG_2975 (1).jpeg