overland

Death Valley Route - End of May

LCPOWCREW

Trail Grom
Hello All - I am going to be heading from Lake Havasu back to SF Bay Area next week towing a new small off-road camping trailer. Was thinking I would take the Death Valley route on my way home. However…the temps are really getting up there already and wondering if anyone can recommend an alternate route to spend 2-3 nights on that would get me back to the Bay Area? Thoughts?

Thank You!
-Aaron

Gvb40

Weekend Warrior
Do you want Offroad stuff or just a scenic way to get home?

LCPOWCREW

Trail Grom
Off-road if at all possible. I will be in a land cruiser, towing a capable trailer that in theory should be able to go anywhere my LC can go. If there are any options for fly fishing along the way that would be a bonus.

Gvb40

Weekend Warrior
You could go to Anza Borrego, do part of the Mojave rd both of which will be pretty hot but not as bad as DV.
personally, I’d maybe do a little dirt just to see how the trailer rides then go over to 395 and hit some of the creeks which should be flowing pretty well right now. There are all kinds of trails off of 395 that go up to an elevation that should be cooler. If you have Gaia it’s easy to find them.

LCPOWCREW

Trail Grom
You could go to Anza Borrego, do part of the Mojave rd both of which will be pretty hot but not as bad as DV.
personally, I’d maybe do a little dirt just to see how the trailer rides then go over to 395 and hit some of the creeks which should be flowing pretty well right now. There are all kinds of trails off of 395 that go up to an elevation that should be cooler. If you have Gaia it’s easy to find them.
Great advice and I appreciate the idea about heading up 395 to some higher/cooler elevation. Thank you!

LCPOWCREW

Trail Grom
Appreciate the input...trip was awesome. OTG's routes through Death Valley were perfect for the first time pulling a trailer. Spent the first night on Hualapai Mountain for some disbursed camping on BLM land in AZ. We headed to Death Valley the following morning and spent the second night at Dumont Dunes. Woke up and drove to Rhyolite Ghost Town and did Titus Canyon. Passed through Eureka Dunes and on to Alabama Hills. From there, we headed up Hwy 395 back to SF Bay Area.

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg