overland

El Dorado BDT Expedition - Aug 2021

This past weekend, I had invited a group of friends out to the Downieville / Lakes Basin Area to hopefully capture a video route guide for one of our newest trails, the Lost Sierra Trail. Well, the Dixie fire wasn't having any of that as her smoke continued to bellow into the atmosphere and creep southward filling the mountains and valleys. We came up with a number of contingency plans for this very situation, and after a lot of back and forth we decided to head southward to El Dorado National Forest.

Day 1: Blue Lakes and Mud Lake
I'd put together what appears to be a promising route, especially looking at satellite images and the surrounding topography of our route. If you're familiar with our routes, you know they consist of primarily forest service roads of dirt and gravel, but I knew this track also had some jeep tracks along the way including out to Blue Lakes and Pardoes Jeep Trail. Pardoes had been closed for a number of years and only re-opened within the last few years, so I couldn't find a ton of info on the trail (more on this in a little bit). The plan was to meet at Burnside Road and head up Hawkins Peak. I knew this was right on the edge of the fire closure for the Tamarack Fire, but the latest map put out by Humboldt-Toiyabe NF showed the road and surrounding area was out of the closure. I was the first to arrive at Burnside Road and quickly discovered the road was temporarily closed due to the fire. I decided I'd take Shasta (our 1.5yo husky/shepard mix) for a walk to kill sometime, and help her burn off some energy after being in the car for the last 3.5 hours. We encountered a truckload of hotshots leaving the area, and they even informed me we could drive out to Burnside Lake as long as we didn't explore any of the side roads. 40 min later I returned to the car to discover Ed and Dean talking to another couple. Ed and his brother Dan arrived in Ed's Jeep Rubicon about 10 minutes later. We discussed the situation, and ultimately decided to skip visiting Burnside Lake and we'd move on to the next portion of the route, which was a nice little loop through Hope Valley and Blue Lakes.

The road through Hope Valley is paved but absolutely gorgeous. Soon the road turned to gravel as we made our way through the the Blue Lakes area. As we gained elevation the road quickly grew more rugged, and we opted for a quick lunch break at Lost Lake. A solitaire female sans bathing suit was enjoying her very own private resort until we arrived, at which point she quickly covered herself up. The jeep trails around Lost Lake looked rather promising, and perhaps we'll explore them next time we're out. After lunch we continued on our way climbing over 8,000'. The trail and surrounding mountains were absolutely spectacular. The only downer was the haze that was turning craggy peaks into brown silhouettes. We trudged on with a short stint down highway 88 before heading over towards Pardoes Trail. We opted to check out Mud Lake, which was a blessing in disguise as it turned out to be a real gem and we decided it would be our camp for the night. The hundred or so cows weren't too pleased with our arrived, but the chorus of cow bells was bizarre and soothing at the same time.

The skies had grown ever more ominous on our way to mud lake, and finally the thunder gave way to a burst of rain and wind that lasted about 45 minutes. The thunderstorm blew out much of the smoke, and we'd hoped the crisp air conditions would hold for the rest of our trip. Our friends Kiley and Renee had planned to meet us at camp, and arrived around 10:15 pm with some help from communicating via Garmin InReaches. We'd turned in early that night, so no one had even heard them arrive.

PXL_20210812_204750543.jpeg

PXL_20210812_211038224.jpeg

PXL_20210812_211819128.jpeg

PXL_20210813_135647592.jpeg

Day 2: Pardoes Trail aka 12 miles over 5 hours
The next morning we discussed plans, and I set some expectations around Pardoes Trail. I told the group it was a jeep trail of unknown technical difficulty as I had difficulty tracking down reliable information about the trail online. From Mud Lake we climbed back up the ridge and once at Pardoes we worked our ways north to a spectacular viewpoint sitting at about 9,000'. We opted for a snack/photo break and I decided I needed to launch the drone to capture some photos and videos. The group was riding a natural high thanks to the geological wonders of mother earth. That'd soon come to an end as we entered Pardoes Trail. Pardoes is a tight jeep trail suited to short wheelbase SUVs like 4Runners and Jeep Wranglers. You'd better have a lift and sliders too! My LX570 was really pushing the limit in terms of size and what could make it through the trail. Don't even think of trying Pardoes if you're in a full size truck or a mid size truck with a longer wheelbase! Pardoes started out as a mildly technical yet tight track-- lots of snaking through trees and some occasional rocks. It wasn't so bad, expcept it kept going mile after mile, and then the granite boulder fields arrived and really slowed down the group. We were jumping out and spotting vehicles every 100 yards or so, and our already sloth-like pace slowed to a crawl. The group was growing stressed from exhaustion, as we hadn't planned for the trail to be an all day affair. Our buddy Todd's jeep sits on 35s with extra clearance, he made much of the obstacles look like a cakewalk. But for a typical overlanding rig with a 2-3" lift and sliders and 33" tires, the trail was a bit of a slog especially since we hadn't come mentally prepared to spend 5-6 hours on the trail. The one saving grace were the views-- absolutely spectacular! And things finally did calm down a bit, and we were able to take in the alpine vistas, distant peaks, and rather unique rock outcroppings. We had an opportunity to check out Upper Pardoes Campsite, but we ended up driving past it down towards Bear River Reservoir. This was probably a mistake, because upon looking at the satellite images upon pulling back into OTG HQ, the site looks rather promising. Instead, we ended up on a dead end spur road at Hams Spring. It wasn't all that bad as we were surrounded by 150' tall Noble Fir. The group was tired, but excited to recount the many trials of the day. Luckily the group didn't experience any sort of mechanical issues, and our buddy Ger sustained some very minor damage to his rear bumper/side panel.

DJI_0330.jpeg

PXL_20210813_190758450.jpeg

DJI_0339.jpeg

PXL_20210813_224611860.jpeg

PXL_20210814_003228023.jpeg

PXL_20210814_132230839.jpeg

Day 3: Destination Water
The first couple of days we'd spent all of our time between 7000-9000 feet. Day 3 we'd be snaking our way through lower elevation trails ranging from 5500 -7000 feet. The trails were definitely tamer than Pardoes as no spotting was required, but we did hit some rocky tracks above Bear River Reservoir and some other trails scattered about-- trails best suited to a stock 4x4, but I supposed an AWD vehicle with an aftermarket lift would work just fine as well (but you'd get beat to $h** in something like a stock Subaru). Most of our mileage was spent in the forest, with occasional views of the surrounding ridges and peaks, but nothing like Blue Lakes or Pardoes. One of the highlights of this leg of the trip was Alder Ridge Lookout, and nice granite playground not far from Capps Crossing, and swimming in the American River. Alder Ridge Lookout consists of a 100' + tall tower secured by 4 cables and wooden steps. I'm not sure how much longer those wooden steps will hold, so best go before the forest service shuts the place down. We'd passed a number of great campsites along water, but the water levels were so low that it wasn't worth it. Instead we checked out a couple of campgrounds and we were lucky enough to score a site at China Flat, right on the American River-- score! We spent the rest of the evening relaxing int he river, enjoying beers, and Its-Its thanks to Kiley and Renee!

We'll be turning this adventure into the El Dorado Backcountry Discovery Trail with a few added trails like Strawberry Pass and Burnside Lake + Hawkins Peak (originally part of our plan as discussed above). Keep an eye out on the site for this one-- it's a fun one!

PXL_20210814_191745462.jpeg

PXL_20210814_223700079.jpeg

PXL_20210814_223431555.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20210813_030711780.jpeg
    PXL_20210813_030711780.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210814_003228023.jpeg
    PXL_20210814_003228023.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

camtnbiker

Staff member
Epic level adventure with Ben, Ed, Dan, Todd, Renee, Kiley and Dean. Mudd Lake is an enchanted area.

DSC01024.jpg

Pardoe's Jeep Trail is not for the faint hearted.

DSC02401-2.jpg

Always fun hanging out at the campsite, stories abound of tall ROCKS and boulders!

DSC02410.jpg

Stars are always a delight

DSC01085.jpg

CAchief

Weekend Warrior
Thanks for the report! This is one area of California I do not have much experience with so I'll look forward to the guide and add it to the list. I can only imagine the chagrin on the skinny dipper when you guys pulled up LoL.

I can appreciate how the added stress of a trail like Pardoe's can affect the group. As I travel with the wife and two small children, I tend to over plan for these situations and avoid trails such as this even though I have a fairly capable rig. Your guides help in this regard tremendously!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the report! This is one area of California I do not have much experience with so I'll look forward to the guide and add it to the list. I can only imagine the chagrin on the skinny dipper when you guys pulled up LoL.

I can appreciate how the added stress of a trail like Pardoe's can affect the group. As I travel with the wife and two small children, I tend to over plan for these situations and avoid trails such as this even though I have a fairly capable rig. Your guides help in this regard tremendously!

To be honest, Pardoe's was not awful, it's just that the group wasn't prepared to spend nearly the entire day spotting and stacking rocks in many places, which was definitely a hit to the collective psyche. Thank god none of our friends with trucks came up, because they likely would've gotten stuck!

KRJ

Trail Grom
I'm glad we didn't wake anyone up rolling in late! We thought the cows at the turn off would for sure wake the dead lol. We were bummed we had to miss that first afternoon. The photos looked really great. This is a great route! I can't wait to do it again without the haze. Those views were amazing, but if it was clear it would be absolutely epic. Like Ben said, Pardoe's really wasn't that bad, just wasn't expected. Definitely not for full size rigs or stock height on standard SUV's but I really enjoyed it. I have been wanting to work on more technical driving skills that isn't complete rock crawling, and this was perfect. Mud Lake was a real find!

camtnbiker

Staff member
I will definitely go back to Mudd Lake and spend a few nights there if the forest opens up.

Will probably head up to see some views but am not signed up for a repeat of Pardoe's yet :)

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I will definitely go back to Mudd Lake and spend a few nights there if the forest opens up.

Will probably head up to see some views but am not signed up for a repeat of Pardoe's yet :)

Agreed. I think between Mud Lake, Burnside Lake and Hawkins Peak (which we didn't get to do), Blue Lakes and Lost Lakes-- that'd make me pretty dang happy as long as we did an run up Hungaletti Ridge above pardoe's. Check this post out from OB. Looks like it gets Rowdier the higher up you go, but trucks making it through!

thobert

Trail Grom
Agreed. I think between Mud Lake, Burnside Lake and Hawkins Peak (which we didn't get to do), Blue Lakes and Lost Lakes-- that'd make me pretty dang happy as long as we did an run up Hungaletti Ridge above pardoe's. Check this post out from OB. Looks like it gets Rowdier the higher up you go, but trucks making it through!

Looks like a trip back up there is in order to run the eastern section once the NF opens back up.

DrivenOnward

Trail Grom
Looks like a trip back up there is in order to run the eastern section once the NF opens back up.
(first post on this forum, hi all)

The eastern side is definitely more technical but doable with sliders and 32"+ tires. I used my rear locker quite a bit, and a friend in a double cab Tacoma had to make a few multi-point turns.

There are several good campsites, one of which is near a natural spring that feeds a lush green meadow. The cows make it up that far, so you might hear random cowbells.

The very end of the trail is at the bottom of Melissa Coray peak, I'd like to go back and hike to the top.

Nice trip write up by the way! I had not heard of Alder Ridge Lookout added it to my list of places to check out.

If you are ever looking for more trails around Blue Lakes the dirt road out to Meadow Lake is nice and you can hike down to the lake. From Blue Lakes you can also take the Deer Valley Trail (more difficult) down to highway 4, or an easy drive east to the end of Indian Valley where there are some remote campsites (38°34'55.7"N 119°52'39.2"W).

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
(first post on this forum, hi all)

The eastern side is definitely more technical but doable with sliders and 32"+ tires. I used my rear locker quite a bit, and a friend in a double cab Tacoma had to make a few multi-point turns.

There are several good campsites, one of which is near a natural spring that feeds a lush green meadow. The cows make it up that far, so you might hear random cowbells.

The very end of the trail is at the bottom of Melissa Coray peak, I'd like to go back and hike to the top.

Nice trip write up by the way! I had not heard of Alder Ridge Lookout added it to my list of places to check out.

If you are ever looking for more trails around Blue Lakes the dirt road out to Meadow Lake is nice and you can hike down to the lake. From Blue Lakes you can also take the Deer Valley Trail (more difficult) down to highway 4, or an easy drive east to the end of Indian Valley where there are some remote campsites (38°34'55.7"N 119°52'39.2"W).

You didn't by chance do the write up on Hungalelti Ridge on OB, did you?

Not sure a doublecab Tacoma would make it down through the western half of Pardoe's! Barely got my LX570 through in a few places, mostly due to wheelbase!

DrivenOnward

Trail Grom
You didn't by chance do the write up on Hungalelti Ridge on OB, did you?

Not sure a doublecab Tacoma would make it down through the western half of Pardoe's! Barely got my LX570 through in a few places, mostly due to wheelbase!

Yup, I'm slomatt on OB and wrote the post linked in message #8 on this thread. I moved away from San Luis Obispo (SLO) years ago and figured it is time to change my forum name. :)

I've driven the western half of the trail a few times, but not since 2011. As you know it was then closed for many years due to the "42 trails" lawsuit. I remember some tight turns between the trees, but I think a Tacoma could fit (I have a 2010 Tacoma DCSB in addition to my 4Runner).

Tight spot between the trees from 2011

4Runners invade in 2010

We took several stock XTerras through in 2004