overland

Exploration of Fort Hunter/Nacimiento Road Path to Prewitt Ridge

Yesterday I took the day off to see if I could find a way to the Coast from Hwy 101. On the way I took a wee stop at Mission San Antonio De Padua near Fort Hunter Legget and close to the start of Nacimiento Road west towards the coast. I have travelled West to East before but not since the road has been closed at Hwy 1. Some workers at the mission told us the road to the coast was open so we headed out. The road WAS closed just beyond Pondorosa Campground. Not to be discouraged we back tracked and using GAIA decided to try McHenry Road, it looked like we could get to the Coast Ridge.
Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 1.35.19 PM.png

Has anybody tried this route. It was a narrow dirt road that seemed to have been groomed recently. However due to the rains there were areas that had large gulleys due to the recent rains. We went about a mile or so but decided to turn back as the trail seemed like it could be washed out ( especially after the recent rains) , it was quite steep in places with few opportunities for a turn about. I did not want to reverse back down this trails. Has anybody ever tried to explore this trail.?
On GAIA it looks like it is a straight shot to Prewitt.
We turned back and headed over 156 to the Coast to finish up at the Elkhorn Slough. See some pictures below:
DSC02565.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Love the Sea Otter photo! It looks like a small portion of that trail crosses onto military land, and if that's the case there's probably a good chance there's a gate at the top (if you can get that far. I've never heard anyone comment on this road, so curious to see if anyone else has attempted it.

camtnbiker

Staff member
On Facebook, somebody mentioned a closed gate at the top, also a 45 degree LOOSE hill. Sounds like this might not be a path to Prewitt Ridge :(

KRJ

Trail Grom
Interesting. I Would love to find a way up there before the main roads open up and it gets crowded again. I have a free day for an overnight trip coming up later in the month. I May go drive around down there a bit.