overland

Geminids Meteor Shower Trip

KRJ

Trail Grom
Hey All,

We are planning a trip in December to coincide with the Geminids Meteor Shower in December. We have decided on either running the Mojave Road and ending in Badwater Basin for the peak of the shower, The Death Valley Adventure Route, or I see the new Trona Desert Trail which ends in Badwater Basin as well. I'm really interested in the Trona trail but looking for some further info. It is more west so I'm looking for thoughts if it is OK to make that run in December. (Understand local weather during that week makes the most difference.) The other question is, is this route fine for full size trucks? There will be one possibly 2 full size trucks (lifted with larger tires) Does anyone have experience on these trails for some input?

I'll put together a trip report if our plans go through.

Thanks!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
In terms of elevation / snow, there's a out and back to one of the mine's north of Goler Wash / Mengal Pass that does go up pretty high. As long as we don't get a super cold storm blowing in, snow shouldn't be an issue.

Your biggest potential challenge will be through Red Rock Canyon State Park (Black Rock Canyon, Last Chance, etc). This is a pretty popular trail network in SoCal. I expect you should be able to make it without issue with lifted vehicles, but never hurts to ask around. This network is definitley popular with the jeep/rock crawling crowd, so you might try a Jeep FB page in SoCal.

KRJ

Trail Grom
Sounds good. Hope the weather holds up that week. We will head down into Red Rock Canyon and see if it works out. Looks like there are quite a few bypass options if needed.