overland

I70 Tunnel clearance to San Rafael Swell

DavidinPhx

Trail Grom
Does anyone know the tunnel heights? I went through S to N to the Head of Sinbad 8 or 9 years ago in my Tacoma and I recall it not being real roomy. I now have a Tundra with pop top camper with about 8’6” height depending on how heavily loaded.

Can I make it through these tunnels? I’d really like to do this route.

pramjockey

Trail Grom
Just drove the entire length of I-70 from Denver through I-15. The lowest clearance I spotted was about 14 1/2 feet in one lane under a bridge.

Typical semi tractor trailer height is 13 1/2 feet, so you should have plenty of room on any road a semi can travel.

Gvb40

Weekend Warrior
Does anyone know the tunnel heights? I went through S to N to the Head of Sinbad 8 or 9 years ago in my Tacoma and I recall it not being real roomy. I now have a Tundra with pop top camper with about 8’6” height depending on how heavily loaded.

Can I make it through these tunnels? I’d really like to do this route.
Couldn’t do it in my Sprinter. If it was tight for your Taco I doubt that a Tundra with 8.6 camper will do it.

DavidinPhx

Trail Grom
Couldn’t do it in my Sprinter. If it was tight for your Taco I doubt that a Tundra with 8.6 camper will do it.
Thanks, that gives me a guage. Whats your clearance height?

I’m a bit confused on which tunnel is what height there as Ive seen videos of a full size Ram with a relatively large poptop slide in camper coming out of what I think is the tunnel to Head of Sinbad, but I know there’s at least one other one.

@pramockey — thanks for the link I’ll check it out. Just to clarify, I’m talking about the four-wheel-drive tunnels that go under the interstate not tunnels you go through while driving on the interstate.

Last edited: