overland

Is Eva Conover Trail doable with an F150 with a 2" lift and 34" tires

pete_coh-5689

Trail Grom
Heading into the San Rafael Swell next week and wondering about doing Eva Conover. I did Fixit Pass in my truck a couple years ago and it was challenging. Went over the pass westbound and the decent was time consuming. But since then I have gotten a 2" list and larger tires. Wondering if I should attempt this trail or not. The guide says a truck with 2" lift should be able to do it, but I'm going with someone that doesn't drive so also not someone that would be a good spotter.

Thanks

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
An experienced driver in a stock 4runner should be able to easily manage the trail. Trails Off Road rates it as a 4/10. Devils Racetrack is another story-- I wouldn't take that on without rock sliders, and a spotter that knows what they're doing unless you're in a Jeep with 37s, but even then there is one off camber section that is tricky.

pete_coh-5689

Trail Grom
But what about a full-size truck? I want to avoid another Pardo's trail incident. Or worse.

At any rate it is probably highly variable based on the condition of the trail. When I did Fixit Pass it was pretty gnarly. It's rated as a 3. But other things rated the same were a complete breeze. The decent off the pass seemed pretty washed out and there was a lot of exposed rock that I never saw on any of the other similarly rated trails. I might try it and turn tail at the first sign of trouble - although sometimes easier said than done.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I think you should be fine. As we discussed at Lake Pills, the issue with Pardo's is the tight tree section at the top. You can see a bunch of photos of ECT from one of the local St George 4x4 groups:

pete_coh-5689

Trail Grom
Well, I chickened out on Eva Connover. On Monday 5/1 we took part of the adventure route and had a really nice time. But we ended up on Behind the Reef trail going the other direction from the route. Needless to say the descent to where the trail becomes the road was a little hairy. There were a couple good washouts which I just barely managed to get by and the last obstacle was pretty much at the limit for my truck. Not to mention my spotter was not the greatest. I had to explain what the differential was. When we got to the signage it stated nothing wider than 52". You think they'd put that at both ends of the trail.
Given that experience and that the tough part of Eva Connover was at the end I decided to play it safe. Had some other adventures on Dry Wash Rd 3616 which goes from S Moore Cutoff Rd over to the top of Coal Wash. Also indicated as 52" or less AT THE OTHER END.