overland

Klamath, Trinity, Redwoods

Luinil

Weekend Warrior
My delightful wife and I are planning a to Northern California and then driving up the coast back to Oregon. Our plan is to exit I5 on to CA route 96 and the wind our way down to Happy Camp, Hoopa, and Willow Creek and then over to the coast. Does anyone have any information on this route? From the maps I have been looking at it is very scenic. Thanks for the help.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I'd recommend checking out the Redwood Coast Adventure Trail (RedCAT) and Six Rivers Backcountry Discovery Trails. There's some dirt you can take in Redwood NP that bypasses hoopa and then spits out by Blue Lake. It's also possible to take dirt from Hoopa over to Blue Lake.

Jamielou

Trail Grom
I am also planning a trip to the Smith River area. We only have 2-3 days. I'm considering heading northwest first to the Lower Divide trail to the Elk Camp Ridge OHV trail and then back to the Redwood Highway. I'm open to suggestions. We have a 4WD 4Runner with a lift and we'll also have a plated dirt bike with us. We've never been this far north and we're trying to see as much as possible.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I am also planning a trip to the Smith River area. We only have 2-3 days. I'm considering heading northwest first to the Lower Divide trail to the Elk Camp Ridge OHV trail and then back to the Redwood Highway. I'm open to suggestions. We have a 4WD 4Runner with a lift and we'll also have a plated dirt bike with us. We've never been this far north and we're trying to see as much as possible.

I'll be heading up that way tomorrow, more specifically southern Oregon, but spending a night in Smith River NRA along the north fork. I'd definitely do Howland Hill Road and hit the Forks of Smith. There are a number of awesome dispersed camp sites along Hurdy Gurdy Creek. I'd also hit "lookout loop", which is basically the loop that passes by Bear Basin Butte Lookout and Ship Mountain Lookout-- You can easily complete this section, and visit both lookouts in half a day. I'd also try to get up to the North Fork, just keep in mind that Widmer Road is a bumpy, and slow going old wagon road. You may consider skipping Widmer, and doing a simply out and back to the North Fork Campground instead-- I'd recommend getting out to Sourdough Camp (a few miles from North Fork Campground).