overland

Mendonesia Campout (NorCal) Apr 13-16

Walnut

Trail Grom
Hey Ben, that's a great idea. I think both parent and non-parent campers would be appreciative. I'm sure my routine with my boys is like many of you, let them hang around the campfire for a bit, then try to get them to the tent for sleep, then sneak back out for a bit more adult time lol.

That's me absolutely! My 6.5yo can usually pass out pretty quick and is a fairly heavy sleeper. Looking forward to seeing everyone. It's going to be a fun weekend.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Worth it to bring a paddleboard or no?

Temps look like they will be in the low to mid 70s on Saturday, so why not? Just keep in mind, that you'll likely need to drive over to Sunset or Fuller Grove Campgrounds to put your kayak in the water.

joshdqui-5998

Trail Grom
Looks like still a lots of snow up in the hills of Mendocino National Park. I can see it from Lake Co. Good idea to bring an extra layer. Does anybody have a radio communication, portable or in the car. I am a ham radio also I have the frequencies for GMRS or FRS if somebody is interested to talk while we are off roading. Me and wife planning to come up on Thursday afternoon anybody not familiar with area can follow us just let me know.

I'll be arriving Thursday evening hopefully around 6 pm. I have HAM on 146.460

joshdqui-5998

Trail Grom
Just added a bunch of info for:

• Mountain Bike Trails (ebike and shuttle friendly)
  • Trail Runs + GPX Files for Friday + Saturday
  • Hiking Trail
  • Swimming Options (if weather is warm enough)

FYI just saw this forest order for some trail closures in the area:
60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ect... are all marked as closed until June 30, 2023

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
FYI just saw this forest order for some trail closures in the area:
60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ect... are all marked as closed until June 30, 2023

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the mountain bikers are the only ones who get to have some fun this weekend! Luckily, this doesn't impact the trail runs as they don't follow OHV trails.

NorcalOverlandJLU

Trail Grom
Small sample of what was picked up yesterday. Lots more higher end Tequila and Bourbon not shown. FTR, I won't be partying well into the night. If that's your MO, make sure you setup your camp with what we're dubbing The Late Night Crew (to be set up away from the families area).

View attachment 1092

I'm showing up Thursday mid day. Where do I park to avoid the late night rager? lol.
Big ups on the Barrel Brothers though. Love their stuff.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I'm showing up Thursday mid day. Where do I park to avoid the late night rager? lol.
Big ups on the Barrel Brothers though. Love their stuff.

I'll be pushing out of Marin hopefully early afternoon to avoid the gridlock through Sonoma. The lat/long location provided in the original post should get you within the vicinity of where we want to try and center the group around-- if you arrive early, please try and secure that for the group. We'll designate a party firepit further away from the main camp for the folks who wanna party.

NorcalOverlandJLU

Trail Grom
I'll be pushing out of Marin hopefully early afternoon to avoid the gridlock through Sonoma. The lat/long location provided in the original post should get you within the vicinity of where we want to try and center the group around-- if you arrive early, please try and secure that for the group. We'll designate a party firepit further away from the main camp for the folks who wanna party.
I don't see any lat/long in the OP for the actual site at the campground. Do you mean the GPX directions end point? If not, can you reply with the lat/long? I'm probably just blind.

Rolandooltg

Trail Grom
We should be crossing the Eel river bridge around 3:00 P.M. anybody want to follow us up just let me know so We can wait for you. We are driving a white first gen 4Runner.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@Rolandooltg I just realized it's a GPX file, but here's the area we'd like to setup around. It's a big grass open area with some big oaks for shade. It abuts right up to a wood boundary fence.

39.442977, -122.954776

Rolandooltg

Trail Grom
@Rolandooltg I just realized it's a GPX file, but here's the area we'd like to setup around. It's a big grass open area with some big oaks for shade. It abuts right up to a wood boundary fence.
39.442977, -122.954776
If we get there early I will secure that spot. I doubt it someone will be there. I think you are talking about as we come in it’s on the right side, don’t forget to take some mosquito repellent it will be tough this season with all the water we had.

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
Unfortunately something came up and we will not be joining in. Looking forward to the next adventure!

cryapallas

Trail Grom
And my 6yo woke up with a fever after thinking it was allergies! Grrr...we may be able to delay and arrive tomorrow. Super bummed he was really excited.

cryapallas

Trail Grom
This was an amazing trip for us and a pleasure to chat with many of you. My son had a blast playing with the other boys, Jackson, Jay and Thomas and exploring the lake. Thanks for organizing and excited to meet up again for more adventures
Also we took the logging road straight past the store and it was a breeze! Only a few rough patches and took us only 25 minutes to get back to the paved road at the bridge. EDE25686-2776-4CAC-8BF9-CBF55D9A7190.jpeg

Walnut

Trail Grom
This was an amazing trip for us and a pleasure to chat with many of you. My son had a blast playing with the other boys, Jackson, Jay and Thomas and exploring the lake. Thanks for organizing and excited to meet up again for more adventures
Also we took the logging road straight past the store and it was a breeze! Only a few rough patches and took us only 25 minutes to get back to the paved road at the bridge. View attachment 1097

Jay had a blast with all the other kids as well. He wants to set up another trip soon!