overland

Moderate/Difficult Routes for April in California

joshua.n-5368

Trail Grom
Going out for about a week with a buddy. I've got a gladiator with 4"life on 37s and buddy has a 4runner with 2.5" lift on 33s, I have front/rear lockers 4runner has rear lockers. Looking to get out for a week leaving in about 4-5 days and want a route that has at least a few days on the trail that are more technical -- likely what would be close to the limit that the 4runner could do.

I was initially considering Anza Borreego, but it seems like the most technical trail there is Pinyon Mountain which has "the squeeze" and I'm not interested in incurring body damage. Would Death Valley be better? Never been but heard it's mostly 2wd.

Appreciate any advice!

CAchief

Weekend Warrior

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Going out for about a week with a buddy. I've got a gladiator with 4"life on 37s and buddy has a 4runner with 2.5" lift on 33s, I have front/rear lockers 4runner has rear lockers. Looking to get out for a week leaving in about 4-5 days and want a route that has at least a few days on the trail that are more technical -- likely what would be close to the limit that the 4runner could do.

I was initially considering Anza Borreego, but it seems like the most technical trail there is Pinyon Mountain which has "the squeeze" and I'm not interested in incurring body damage. Would Death Valley be better? Never been but heard it's mostly 2wd.

Appreciate any advice!

Hey Joshau. I'd recommend the Lost Sierra Trail. There are a ton of 4x4 trails right off the route you can take. Some of the better ones include:

• Poker Flat OHV trail
  • Snake Lake OHV trail
  • Lots o Lakes OHV trail
  • Gold Valley OHV trail
  • Gold Lake 4x4 trail