overland

***New Member Introductions***

KRJ

Trail Grom
Hi All,

My name is Kiley. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife Renee and I are relatively new to overlanding. Our rig is a 2017 Lexus GX460 (GiGi) built up with suspension, bumper, wheels tires and a drawer/sleep setup in the rear. I've had a great time building some portions myself like the rack and drawer system. We have had the opportunity to do 2 separate week long trips through Baja, as well as some exploring of Death Valley. We are looking forward to exploring more and more and hitting some great trails.

Attachments

• GiGi Baja.jpg
    GiGi Baja.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hi All,

My name is Kiley J. We live on the San Francisco Mid Peninsula area. My wife Renee and I are relatively new to the overland style of travel. We had mostly done traditional camping, (one location and set up for a while) but got the itch to see more and get away. Our current rig is a 2017 Lexus GX460 (GiGi) built up with suspension, bumper, wheels tires and a drawer/sleep setup in the rear. I've had a great time building some portions myself like the rack and drawer system. We have had the opportunity to do 2 separate week long trips through Baja, as well as some exploring of Death Valley. We are looking forward to exploring more and more and hitting some great trails.

I almost got a GX myself, but decided I wanted a bit more room (after coming from a 5th gen 4runner) and ready to go suspension (AHC), so went with the LX instead. Do I spy a CBI front bumper and sliders?

KRJ

Trail Grom
We had a similar dilemma between the GX and LX but timing and a good price worked out with the GX. Good eye! Yep CBI front bumper, SSO sliders. Extremely happy with the platform.

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
Just joining the OTG community? Tell us a bit more about yourself including:

• Your location of residence
  • Your vehicle(s)
  • Some of your favorite trails/routes/areas to explore
  • Any planned trips
  • Anything else you want to share!
Howdy, my name is Sean Bonick and my wife's name is Sandi, we are San Francisco Bay Area transplants to our now home of Lincoln, Ca. We have enjoyed our small town community of Lincoln since 2006 like everywhere, our town is growing.
We own two outstanding rigs that we plan on using for overlanding and off-road crawling,
We will be bringing our 2005 Jeep Wrangler that should be more than capable for this trip.
We belong to Boonie bouncers 4×4 club.
We will most likely leave the LCT run on Saturday as I have an obligation on Sunday.
We are looking forward to seeing and meeting you all there and future events.

genesis712

Trail Grom
Hey @genesis712 , you might need to add the Lost Coast Trail (hiking trail) to your list of future backpacking adventures. You'll get a taste of the Lost Coast in a few weeks, but the hiking trail goes to some really fantastic places/beaches where vehicles are prohibited. Will your trail partner be joining you-- great pyrenees?
Sounds interesting indeed!
Yes sir, my wife and the dog (you guessed it right-she's a 4 year old GP) will be joining me.

rckjnke

Trail Grom
Hello! My name is Dan Blanchard, my wife and 2 dogs live in the Santa Cruz area. We are new to overlanding but have been avid outdoor enthusiasts & 12 years of K9 search & rescue. Our rig is a 2020 Sportsmobile Sprinter. Looking forward to meeting new people & new adventures. We are both in the wine business and are avid cooks.

Van .jpg

van 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey @rckjnke , welcome aboard! It's awesome to see a good group of folks with Sprinter's joining the community! I just found out from another member that Whitefeather 4x4 up in Red Bluff is now doing solid axle swaps and 4x4 conversions for 2wd Sprinters-- pretty rad stuff!!

LRA1

Trail Grom
Just joining the OTG community? Tell us a bit more about yourself including:
Hello everyone,
Larry here from northern New Mexico. We’ve gone through a couple of iterations working on the question of “what set-up is going to work best for us”. Our vehicle is a 2019 G550 (aka Gwagen). On longer trips we will pull a Patriot X-1, which we got a couple of months ago. On shorter trips, or depending on the location we go with a smaller ‘kit’ using only the Gwagen, tent, etc. Because it’s close (and beautiful) we spend time in the San Juan Mts of northern New Mexico and southwest Colorado. In July we will be doing a longer tour around Crested Butte (wildflower season) and will likely incorporate part of the OTG Rio Grande route on the way there. In September we’re planning to do the Rimrocker Trail and in November the White Rim Trail as well a noodle around in Utah before and after the White Rim.
C87C4A00-1FE1-4E11-BE1C-F70608B331E5.jpeg

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
Hello All,

My name is Mike from Sacramento CA. We have a gen1 Tacoma setup for functional overland camping. My family and I have been using OTG for over a year and completed ~1k miles of dirt trails. I would like to give a big THANKS to @OTG Ben for creating and managing this site/forum. Having the data for navigation (I use Locus Map Pro) has been a game changer for our camping trips. These are almost like a guided tour. This forum will improve the experience with the trail update section. It would have been awesome to have been warned or provide a warning to others of a landslide along the Lassen BDT we encountered last summer. The trail was passable with our rig but would have been impossible/dangerous with a stock rig/van.

I am conflicted as these trails have been relatively empty and I fear them getting packed with folks as this site/forum gets inevitably more popular. Despite that fear, I am honored to be part of the next chapter of OTG and contributing to the forum. I look forward to sharing information, routes, and member meetups. Safe travels!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hello everyone,
Larry here from northern New Mexico. We’ve gone through a couple of iterations working on the question of “what set-up is going to work best for us”. Our vehicle is a 2019 G550 (aka Gwagen). On longer trips we will pull a Patriot X-1, which we got a couple of months ago. On shorter trips, or depending on the location we go with a smaller ‘kit’ using only the Gwagen, tent, etc. Because it’s close (and beautiful) we spend time in the San Juan Mts of northern New Mexico and southwest Colorado. In July we will be doing a longer tour around Crested Butte (wildflower season) and will likely incorporate part of the OTG Rio Grande route on the way there. In September we’re planning to do the Rimrocker Trail and in November the White Rim Trail as well a noodle around in Utah before and after the White Rim.
View attachment 117

It's nice to see a Gwagen out in the bush! I'm not sure anyone in my neck of the woods uses them for anything more than making ski trips up to Tahoe, which is a shame, since they're such exquisitely designed and built vehicles!

Swlands

Trail Grom
Hi folks - Stephen Williams based in Oakland. I retired this year and plan to explore the wilderness areas anywhere I can get. I am new to overlanding, having been raised in New Zealand doing a lot of backpacking, then spending several years working for the New Zealand Forest Service doing survey work as a botanist in the 70's. Wilderness is essential for my health, and while I expect to travel a lot solo - my wife died 2012, daughter is all grown up and lives in NZ, and frankly I really like exploring on my own - I do recognize the limits of going alone. I have turned back a couple times already where if I had backup I probably would have pressed on. So stay posted.

Obligatory rig photo taken on the road to Usal beach on my very first overnighting trip at the start of April. Since then I have been to Mojave, stopped at Alabama Hills, Anza Borrego, spent a week in Baja, a few days in Lassen and crawled up the Mendocino Forest. Then did the OTG trip to Lost Coast. I came home after visiting Fern Canyon (was crowded, but no issues) then dropping from hwy 299 to hwy 36 and spending the night off hwy 36, just got home a couple hours ago.

Give me some time to sort out some pics and I will post some trip reports.

Note the number plate will change to swlands whenever CA DMV get around to shipping it. The moniker was from my business Stephen Williams Landcscaping, and is my email at sbcglobal.net and gmail. And I am Swlands at Overland Bound. It serves as my handle, may as well apply it to the rig.

swlands4R_50.jpg

Humpzilla

Trail Grom
What's up everyone!

My name is Jeff, and I'm from Seattle. I've been visiting OTG off and on for the past year or so, and I've gotta say....I LOVE the idea behind this site and the way the routes are created.

Last year, some friends and I did the first 2/3rds of the 'Siskiyou Safari' route and had an absolute blast on it. I've included a few pics from that trip below. This year, I'm planning to run the Cascadia Skyline route in June (I'll update here with a trip report once completed), and in July / August we'll be spending some time on the White Rim Trail (gonna be hot, I know), the Rimrocker Trail and some of the Alpine Loop in CO. It's gonna be a good summer!

My rig of choice is a 2000 LX470 with a quarter million miles on it (still drives like new .... even the AHC works flawlessly). Included the obligatory pic of it below as well.

Last thing to note is that I'm SUPER pumped to see some WA routes starting to pop up (Olympic Traverse soon?). Hopefully there will be more coming!

UPDATE: All my image files are too large to upload evidently.... :(

Mutt Wagon

Weekend Warrior
Hello
My name is Kelley. Born and raised in California. Spent my pre teen years in Alturas, and did a good deal of hunting and fishing there. I reside in Campbell in the South Bay Area. I drive a 97 Land Cruiser and tow a (butchered to be honest) M416 trailer with a trailer top tent on it. I’m sometimes accompanied by my wife of 23 years, and hopefully as often my dog Luna. I‘ve been though DV a couple of times, and have done the Mecca trip to Moab, all with said trailer. I hope to be able to get on the trail soon!

Attachments

• 81071BD1-E323-45D0-B6AC-FA67D0007C7E.jpeg
    81071BD1-E323-45D0-B6AC-FA67D0007C7E.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 7FB16422-B24B-411B-B3DF-B89AC35F45E6.jpeg
    7FB16422-B24B-411B-B3DF-B89AC35F45E6.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 612C91B6-4AB6-40D5-A86B-F9272C335FE4.jpeg
    612C91B6-4AB6-40D5-A86B-F9272C335FE4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 739C5F51-8A4D-40AC-BA1A-81B34447B77C.jpeg
    739C5F51-8A4D-40AC-BA1A-81B34447B77C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hello
My name is Kelley. Born and raised in California. Spent my pre teen years in Alturas, and did a good deal of hunting and fishing there. I reside in Campbell in the South Bay Area. I drive a 97 Land Cruiser and tow a (butchered to be honest) M416 trailer with a trailer top tent on it. I’m sometimes accompanied by my wife of 23 years, and hopefully as often my dog Luna. I‘ve been though DV a couple of times, and have done the Mecca trip to Moab, all with said trailer. I hope to be able to get on the trail soon!

Hey Kelley, welcome the the community. You ever make it out to the Modoc BDT or Medicine Lake during your time up at Alturas. Modoc would.be a great venue for a Trail Run!

Mutt Wagon

Weekend Warrior
I’ve been on some of it. 35 years ago. I can tell you that in the wrong time of year, my father managed to get his Land Rover 88 buried to the rockers there. I believe the Jeep that came to get him got stuck 3 times on the way back out! I intend to run the route if not in part, totally. I will say it’s advised not to do the challenge route until September or October, as the forest service lost a D6 Cat as it slid off the road and into the swamp while the operator was eating lunch. I’m told, whether there is truth to this, that Cat is still buried there.

JBG

Trail Grom
Hello from Kitsap County, Washington😊, my name is Jayson. My lovely wife and I are new to offroading, and backcountry exploring. She has a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL, and I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK.
We are looking forward to completing the Washington BDR this summer, might have to take it in sections, then again we might just give it a go all at once. The plan is to complete as many routes as we can and sleep out under the sky as much as time allows, lol. Aaaaaaaand drag the kids along the way, leaving their electronic devices behind.

genesis712

Trail Grom
What's up everyone!

My name is Jeff, and I'm from Seattle. I've been visiting OTG off and on for the past year or so, and I've gotta say....I LOVE the idea behind this site and the way the routes are created.

Last year, some friends and I did the first 2/3rds of the 'Siskiyou Safari' route and had an absolute blast on it. I've included a few pics from that trip below. This year, I'm planning to run the Cascadia Skyline route in June (I'll update here with a trip report once completed), and in July / August we'll be spending some time on the White Rim Trail (gonna be hot, I know), the Rimrocker Trail and some of the Alpine Loop in CO. It's gonna be a good summer!

My rig of choice is a 2000 LX470 with a quarter million miles on it (still drives like new .... even the AHC works flawlessly). Included the obligatory pic of it below as well.

Last thing to note is that I'm SUPER pumped to see some WA routes starting to pop up (Olympic Traverse soon?). Hopefully there will be more coming!

UPDATE: All my image files are too large to upload evidently.... :(
Hi Jeff! I am your neighbor in Portland! Did you get the chance to do the Cascadia route? I was thinking about the same route but was wondering about the closures from the fire last year.

genesis712

Trail Grom
Hello from Kitsap County, Washington😊, my name is Jayson. My lovely wife and I are new to offroading, and backcountry exploring. She has a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL, and I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK.
We are looking forward to completing the Washington BDR this summer, might have to take it in sections, then again we might just give it a go all at once. The plan is to complete as many routes as we can and sleep out under the sky as much as time allows, lol. Aaaaaaaand drag the kids along the way, leaving their electronic devices behind.
Hi Jayson! My wife and I are planning the BDR too..would be lovely to go with company (if you dont mind! When were you guys planning on the route? I was thinking of running a couple of sections to get a feel for it during a weekend..
Karthik

Pphylo

Trail Grom
Hello All, my name's Phill. My wife LeeAnn and I enjoy getting out into the backcountry away from the crowds. You may see us wading in a river, or sitting in a drift boat, with fly rod in hand. I drive a ZR2 that has been a little modified. If we're base camping, I drag a modified M101 CDN military trailer so I can bring way more stuff than I really need.

I'll post a belated Mojave Road report soon. Oh, and we're looking forward to joining others on the Shasta Shakedown.

Just wanted to say Hi and Happy Fathers day to those of you dads out there.