overland

***New Member Introductions***

2point5Seconds

Trail Grom
Hello everyone!

I am Ray and I live in Yuba City.

FB_IMG_1579580609973.jpg

I've been exploring the back roads for a few years now in Northern California and Nevada. Usually in a day trip. But haven't planned an overlanding trip yet where I'm out for a few days. One trail I want to plan my first Overlanding trip is on the Henness Pass Road.

I've been building up my 2019 for the last couple of years. Seems like every time I go out in the back roads, I learn something new and find that I need to add to my "take with me" list when I go out.

Recently drove Old Dale Road in Joshua Tree. That was a pretty nice drive. Definitely worth checking out. This picture was taken near Giant Rock in Joshua Tree.

20210528_194548_resized.jpg

Hope to learn from everyone on here and check out some new adventures!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Welcome Ray @2point5Seconds . Living in Yuba City, you're literally at the doorstep of so many great places to explore! For folks just getting into overlanding, I almost always recommend checking out the extensive network of Backcountry Discovery Trails (BDTs) in CA. You've got the Tahoe, Plumas and Lassen BDTs all within a 1-2 hour drive of you. Poker Flat in the Plumas BDT would be a nice little test for your rig (one of the few 'technical" trails in the BDT system). BTW, what's your handle mean?

2point5Seconds

Trail Grom
Welcome Ray @2point5Seconds . Living in Yuba City, you're literally at the doorstep of so many great places to explore! For folks just getting into overlanding, I almost always recommend checking out the extensive network of Backcountry Discovery Trails (BDTs) in CA. You've got the Tahoe, Plumas and Lassen BDTs all within a 1-2 hour drive of you. Poker Flat in the Plumas BDT would be a nice little test for your rig (one of the few 'technical" trails in the BDT system). BTW, what's your handle mean?
Hello sir!

Yes, my in laws live up in the mountains, so they have introduced me to some trails throughout the years. I may get in some fishing or a hike in if I plan ahead. :)

Thank you, sir! I will check out the BDTs. I usually looking online or look on Google maps to find a day trip. A good day trip from here is up to Bowman lake. It's off highway 20 and I-80. It's a lake in the middle of nowhere, and the trail to get in is pretty narrow. But a nice lake. I used to have All Trails app, but I moved to Gaia GPS which seems to be better. It helped me when I went down to Joshua Tree and drove on Old Dale Road.

My handle comes from my training. I teach Combative Knife/Hand to Hand. My instructor is retired Special Forces. When we train, we believe that we have 2.5 seconds to disarm the person or the chances of survival decreases. So, you engage the person, or try running. Seems funny to run, but a lot of knife instructors mention that first.

Take care!

Bumpyadventures

Trail Grom
20201025_092537.jpg
Like you, I'm just trying to create lasting memories. My family is hooked on 4WD adventure. My co-navigators are my kids. I'm only just getting started (with them). My gear has been acquired little by little over the years. Some of my gear is over 20 years old. I would love to network with others. We are in Cottonwood, CA. Our primary weapon of choice is a modified Suburban Z71 with 6" lift on 35s. Our other weapon for wheeling are Jeep Wrangler YJ(s) because they are super light. Those are even more modified but obviously doesn't have the seating capacity to fit a family of 7. One day we will travel with multiple rigs. Next time we go to the Mojave Road we will flat tow the "Super Jeep", but for now, we use the 'Burb. We use our rigs. I don't care about paint. Pinstriping is character. We always carry spare parts and tools. We break, fix, repeat. I'll be seeing you out there on the trails! 20201025_092537.jpgIMG_3658.jpgIMG_3357.jpgIMG_3363.jpgIMG_3392.jpgIMG_0092.jpgIMG_0228.jpgIMG_0359.jpgIMG_3397.jpgIMG_3583.jpgIMG_3708.jpgIMG_3555.jpgIMG_3628.jpg

Bumpyadventures

Trail Grom
Here are the Jeeps. My 14-year old is learning to drive on our property. Also, we have a Chevy 3500 4x4 mainly for hauling. One that is not shown is our Ford Expedition. I don't trust taking Fords offroad. I tell my wife not to let it get too close to the Suburban air intake. Not responsible if it gets stuck in my air filter. Ha-ha. Gotta poke fun to the Ford people out there. 😉

Attachments

• 20210523_120001.jpg
    20210523_120001.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20210404_133714.jpg
    20210404_133714.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 180891140_481624993171614_8343665767861452188_n.jpg
    180891140_481624993171614_8343665767861452188_n.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 216411488_523129482354498_1880343429511165105_n.jpg
    216411488_523129482354498_1880343429511165105_n.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 1

Bumpyadventures

Trail Grom
View attachment 321
Like you, I'm just trying to create lasting memories. My family is hooked on 4WD adventure. My co-navigators are my kids. I'm only just getting started (with them). My gear has been acquired little by little over the years. Some of my gear is over 20 years old. I would love to network with others. We are in Cottonwood, CA. Our primary weapon of choice is a modified Suburban Z71 with 6" lift on 35s. Our other weapon for wheeling are Jeep Wrangler YJ(s) because they are super light. Those are even more modified but obviously doesn't have the seating capacity to fit a family of 7. One day we will travel with multiple rigs. Next time we go to the Mojave Road we will flat tow the "Super Jeep", but for now, we use the 'Burb. We use our rigs. I don't care about paint. Pinstriping is character. We always carry spare parts and tools. We break, fix, repeat. I'll be seeing you out there on the trails! View attachment 321View attachment 322View attachment 323View attachment 324View attachment 325View attachment 326View attachment 327View attachment 328View attachment 329View attachment 330View attachment 331View attachment 332View attachment 333
Forgot to give my name: Jim.

I bought a GoPro Hero 9 and I'm intend to share all our family offroad adventures. I'll be posting the videos on my 'Bumpy Adventures' YouTube channel (hence the name). New email is bumpyadventures@gmail.com.

Before I go out again, I have to smog and currently awaiting my new catalytic converters. Meanwhile, I'm looking into a rooftop tent, new roof rack and more lights. Axle upgrades are in store for the future. If anyone knows of cool trails kids would love, like river or creek crossings, please email me. I can't wait to get back out there!

AzJeeper

Trail Grom
Hello everyone! My name is Marty and I am in the Phoenix,AZ area. I am new to overlanding but have had the itch to get into it ever since I bought my first Jeep 2 years ago. My rig is a 2012 JKU Rubicon with a 2" lift and I currently run 33" BFG KO2's. (Tire replacement is coming soon)

My plan is two fold. First part is to build up my OL gear collection a little at time, I have the basics now. I need to figure out carrying extra fuel primarily and a couple of other minor items. I won't know for sure everything I need until I need it I've surmised. Second part is to get out on shorter runs, get comfortable and add gear as I go. I am looking into setting up those shorter run with the offroad group I belong to.

I have been looking for a website like this for a little while now and stumbled across it this morning, I am glad I did. I shared it with a few people who also like it.

I am looking forward to getting out and about little by little and learning the ropes.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hello everyone! My name is Marty and I am in the Phoenix,AZ area. I am new to overlanding but have had the itch to get into it ever since I bought my first Jeep 2 years ago. My rig is a 2012 JKU Rubicon with a 2" lift and I currently run 33" BFG KO2's. (Tire replacement is coming soon)

My plan is two fold. First part is to build up my OL gear collection a little at time, I have the basics now. I need to figure out carrying extra fuel primarily and a couple of other minor items. I won't know for sure everything I need until I need it I've surmised. Second part is to get out on shorter runs, get comfortable and add gear as I go. I am looking into setting up those shorter run with the offroad group I belong to.

I have been looking for a website like this for a little while now and stumbled across it this morning, I am glad I did. I shared it with a few people who also like it.

I am looking forward to getting out and about little by little and learning the ropes.

Welcome Marty! One of our good friends just made the move to Prescott and is loving it. Hopefully he'll give us some local intel so we can continue developing more routes down in your neck of the woods :)

Ventura_hondo

Trail Grom
Hey Everyone I’m Andy

I’m born and raised in Southern California and I enjoy everything about the outdoors (fishing,hiking,camping,climbing,picking up trash,etc) I’ve been enjoying the outdoors for most of my life but kinda new to overlanding/off-roading as I started with my 4th Gen 4Runner but since have now gotten a 5th Gen Rnr and a JLU Rubi for the wifey.

I’ve been following Bens Overland Trail Guides channel on YouTube which brought me here. Hoping to learn from the more experienced Overlanders/Off-roaders so here I am.

Attachments

• B06BA8C7-2F07-4F46-BBBD-C048659D4558.jpeg
    B06BA8C7-2F07-4F46-BBBD-C048659D4558.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 39D9C620-E2AC-4D31-A1E1-A9851F2C4907.jpeg
    39D9C620-E2AC-4D31-A1E1-A9851F2C4907.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • C396DC43-19D3-4F1A-951E-B83127AE612C.jpeg
    C396DC43-19D3-4F1A-951E-B83127AE612C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Everyone I’m Andy

I’m born and raised in Southern California and I enjoy everything about the outdoors (fishing,hiking,camping,climbing,picking up trash,etc) I’ve been enjoying the outdoors for most of my life but kinda new to overlanding/off-roading as I started with my 4th Gen 4Runner but since have now gotten a 5th Gen Rnr and a JLU Rubi for the wifey.

I’ve been following Bens Overland Trail Guides channel on YouTube which brought me here. Hoping to learn from the more experienced Overlanders/Off-roaders so here I am.

glad you found us! And good to see that a divided house can still get along (Toyota vs Jeep)!!

Dirt Ferguson

Trail Grom
Hi Everyone,

My name is Dan and my wife, our dog and I live in Napa Valley. I drive a 97 LX450 with King remote resi 2.5 suspension, OME heavy springs all around, 35” ProComp rubber, an ARB front bumper w a Smittybuilt 12K winch, sliders and a bunch of other mods inside and out. This is not a crawling rig, per se, although I do like driving some technical trails from time to time. Mostly we like exploring back roads, camping near bodies of water and finding areas away from big crowds. That being said, I also love the Eastern Sierra and everything it has to offer, crowds or not.

Besides camping I am an avid backcountry skier, and mtn biker. Looking forward to contributing with the community here! And thanks @OTG Ben for the awesome podcast, I just listened to the CA Crest Trail ep and it got me really motivated to get out and plan an epic.

twomanyhobbiesrod

Trail Grom
Rod here, from River Falls WI. Somewhat east of most of you from what I can tell.

I drive a 1970 Bronco with a M416 trailer. Built both myself. The Bronco is a pretty much stock mix of early Bronco parts along with a bit of home fabrication. The trailer is more or less as it left the factory, with the addition of a removeable tent platform.

Other than some exploring and camping around Moab a few years ago, trips have been close to home. Northern MN, Upper MI, hoping to do some exploring in western Ontario when the pandemic cools off. My partner Debbie and I have been talking about maybe doing the Rimrocker trail next fall.

Great to meet you all!
IMG_1053.JPGIMG_2022.JPGIMG_2002.JPGthumbnail_IMG_0213.jpgIMG_2025.JPGIMG_2020.JPG

Chris Lujan

Trail Grom
Hello all, my name is Chris. My son and I enjoy off roading and looking for opportunities to get out even with our busy schedules (wife and daughter like that we like off roading...just not their thing). In the past we had a built 3rd gen 4runner which we enjoyed, after selling that we purchased and work on our 2005 Jeep TJ unlimited (LJ). Since we live in Davis we tend to head east toward Tahoe but we are certainly open to other locations. In fact, our first run with OTG was up in the Smith River area, it was awesome. Great to be a part of an awesome community of people, exploring this scenic area of our country. Hope to meet you all soon

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpeg
    IMG_2332.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2665.jpeg
    IMG_2665.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

ScottieG

Trail Grom
Hello, name is Scott and I'm in Red Bluff, CA. I spend time exploring and tent camping all through Lassen, Plumas and Mendocino National Forests. Mostly day trips by myself or camping with my girlfriend. I have an '18 Wrangler JL 4 door. Looking forward to meeting new people and finding new areas to explore.

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_215524237.jpg
    PXL_20210925_215524237.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2

thobert

Trail Grom
Hello all,

I'm Todd from Cupertino. I acquired my first 4x4 about a year ago, a Jeep JKU. I used to work on cars with my dad in the '70s and '80s and have really enjoyed getting back into it, having been focused on the build of my Jeep. I also used to be a backpacker, but these days 4x4 overland adventure seems like a better fit.

I love exploring the hwy 88, 4, and 108 corridor and am starting to also explore the eastern Sierra. Recently did a very cool run of Pardoe's jeep trail above Bear Valley Res. with Ben and others. Planning a trip in two weeks down to Prescott AZ to wheel with a friend followed by a run of the Mohave Road on the way back to the Bay Area.

Have yet to convince my wife, 14 yr old, and 11 year old to fully embrace the activity, but I'm still trying. :)

IMG_1535.jpegIMG_1785.jpeg

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Rod here, from River Falls WI. Somewhat east of most of you from what I can tell.

I drive a 1970 Bronco with a M416 trailer. Built both myself. The Bronco is a pretty much stock mix of early Bronco parts along with a bit of home fabrication. The trailer is more or less as it left the factory, with the addition of a removeable tent platform.

Other than some exploring and camping around Moab a few years ago, trips have been close to home. Northern MN, Upper MI, hoping to do some exploring in western Ontario when the pandemic cools off. My partner Debbie and I have been talking about maybe doing the Rimrocker trail next fall.

Great to meet you all!

Love your old school bronco! And while we have a lot of west coast folks on here, especially from California, we actually have a lot of members east of the Rockies as well. I think most of them are lurking though-- perhaps when they see more folks aren't from CA, OR, and AZ, they'll begin posting as well :)

The Nothing

Trail Grom
Ooh, nice to see forums over here! My name is Isaac and I'm in Portland, OR. Looks like there are quite a few of us around here. I drive a 2005 4Runner. I rather enjoy exploring Eastern Oregon where my daughter, Scout, and I try to spend much of the summer. My wife has only joined us once, and we took her on the Owyhee-Alvord route in late Summer 2020.
I also volunteer with ARA Stage Rally with the sweep crew. Basically I get to do "professional driver on a closed course" types of things chasing and recovering rally cars and providing medical attention if needed.
IMG_20200804_095651.jpg159763791_10222338853914261_791616231661740878_o.jpg
PXL_20210908_234606276.PORTRAIT-01.jpegIMG_20180718_180242.jpg

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Ooh, nice to see forums over here! My name is Isaac and I'm in Portland, OR. Looks like there are quite a few of us around here. I drive a 2005 4Runner. I rather enjoy exploring Eastern Oregon where my daughter, Scout, and I try to spend much of the summer. My wife has only joined us once, and we took her on the Owyhee-Alvord route in late Summer 2020.
I also volunteer with ARA Stage Rally with the sweep crew. Basically I get to do "professional driver on a closed course" types of things chasing and recovering rally cars and providing medical attention if needed.
View attachment 460View attachment 461
View attachment 462View attachment 463

Welcome Issac! We're probably going to make some changes to the Owyhee-Alvord Route--- slim it down to mostly the Alvord Desert and Steens Mountain Loop, and perhaps make it a free route since it's so frequently visited. Buuuuut, I've also done some preliminary research for a new/separate route that traverses the heart of the Owyhee Canyonlands. Chances are, you're probably familiar with a lot of the trails and POIs we've been zeroing in on (Pillars of Rome, Leslie Gulch, Three Finger Gulch, Succor Creek, Jordan Craters). If you've got any recommendations for must sees, shoot me a reply!