overland

Question about the Wild Rivers Discovery trail mileage

seldredg

Trail Grom
The overland site lists the Wild Rivers Discovery trail as 231 miles. Is that route from the beginning to end of the route shown on the map, which I assume to be the GPS route. I'm planning that trip in July on a motorcycle, so the accuracy of the mileage estimate is important to me. My range should be 260+ miles, possibly up to 300 at the slower speeds I'm expecting. I'll need to get from the closest gas at the north end around to the closest gas to the south end.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
The mileage is always an approximation of the main route from beginning to end, but real world mileage may vary slightly since we're dealing with GPX files. Your best bet would be make a short sidetrip to Gold Beach to refuel. It shouldn't be more than a 60 minute detour from the main route. Basically, just take Agness Road (Road 33) west once you reach the Rogue River.

1624908451143.png

seldredg

Trail Grom
Thanks. That option should ensure I can make it. Is that 60 mile detour one way or two? (Actually, never mind, I can check it on a map.) And thanks for clarifying about the mileage. I assumed it was taken from a vehicle.

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@seldredg Hit us with some pix and a trip report after you do the route! We've been getting quite a bit of interest in this one. The Steelhead Adv Trail to the south is another great route, which is a bit more rugged in terms of elevation gain.

seldredg

Trail Grom
I will. I expect to be starting it next Tuesday, 7/13, running from north to south.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Rad! Keep a watch on the trip reports section. I'm going to be posting some photos from our trip to Smith River NRA from last month.