overland

Recommendation for mod shop in Silicon Valley?

Brian.Whitaker

Trail Grom
Ben -- congrats on starting a business here; I hope your subscriber base continues to grow!

OTG folks -- I've got a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee ("WK2") diesel, which I've just started to work on. Gobi rack is on order; 50AH LiFePO4 aux battery is in (under drivers seat); Yaesu FT8900 FM transceiver is installed cleanly (antenna mounted over the front left fender); stock-sized TA-KO2s on order. I'm doing my own tow hooks, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for what might be custom under-carriage protection and overlanding-style front and rear bumpers. Does anyone have a shop they like in the Santa Clara Valley (aka Silicon Valley)?

Many thanks!

Brian

Pphylo

Trail Grom
Heard good things about Arabia's in Campbell back when I belonged to a jeep club. Never used them myself though.

2point5Seconds

Trail Grom
This is late, but if you don't mind the drive to Sacramento, Stellar Built is good. They mod all kinds of vehicles. I've seen someone in SoCal mention them. I've had them do my cab mount chop on my Tundra and I always call them for questions or 2nd opinions.

I installed my skid plates, rock alider, and front bumpers with lights myself. First time doing anyone of that. So it wasn't too bad. May save you money.

Brian.Whitaker

Trail Grom
This is late, but if you don't mind the drive to Sacramento, Stellar Built is good. They mod all kinds of vehicles. I've seen someone in SoCal mention them. I've had them do my cab mount chop on my Tundra and I always call them for questions or 2nd opinions.

I installed my skid plates, rock alider, and front bumpers with lights myself. First time doing anyone of that. So it wasn't too bad. May save you money.
Thanks, and not too late. I’ve got the skid plates and Gobi rack/ladder and ham radio all done but bumpers and rails are next. I might drive out if I can’t find someone here.

Mutt Wagon

Weekend Warrior
Please update if you find a shop. I’ve a buddy with a GC and I’d love to give him a name of someplace that has proven work.

Brian.Whitaker

Trail Grom
@Mutt Wagon -- work here has been slow. I got my Gobi rack and ladder installed on my own, and I paid the dealer to install all the factory under-carriage protection. I have boxes of rock slider bars and a few more protection plates from Chief which I think I will pick away at as well. The bit that I am not sure I want to tackle on my own is a hidden winch, and front and rear steel bumpers. For that, I have heard mixed reviews for 4 Wheel Parts so need to look around more.

2point5Seconds

Trail Grom
Brian, just need a couple of friends and some beverages. It'll be good. I did my front bumper and hidden winch with no experience. Will be doing my rear bumper when it comes in. Just take your time. Will be fine.

2point5Seconds

Trail Grom
Also I just went back to Stellar Built in Sacramento to install extended brake lines. They were pretty quick. Had to get it because the two rear center brake lines were just hanging there and not bolted to the rear differential anymore.

Brian.Whitaker

Trail Grom
Did my first 4x4 trip with my sister (nicely prepared Wrangler), to the Mammoth Lakes area. Started in nearby Glass mountains then the area north of Mammoth. Undercarriage protection was helpful; need a lift kit. No damage to bumpers. GMRS worked OK but unimpressive - I think sister needs to work on her antenna. Convinced 2m or 10m would carry better out there. We needed to be within a few miles or so for decent comms - I expected more than 5miles simplex.

Brian AG6WR E3F4A713-200E-4B5C-969C-7D0CA12070F7.jpeg

Brian.Whitaker

Trail Grom
Did my first 4x4 trip with my sister (nicely prepared Wrangler), to the Mammoth Lakes area. Started in nearby Glass mountains then the area north of Mammoth. Undercarriage protection was helpful; need a lift kit. No damage to bumpers. GMRS worked OK but unimpressive - I think sister needs to work on her antenna. Convinced 2m or 10m would carry better out there. We needed to be within a few miles or so for decent comms - I expected more than 5miles simplex.

Brian AG6WR View attachment 878

Rfeustel

Trail Grom
If you're willing to drive, I've had great experiences with Extreme Motorsports in Brentwood, and Cali Fabrication near SAC.