overland

San Rafael Adventure Route questions

redrockr-8360

Trail Grom
I downloaded your gpx for the San Rafael Swell, UT adventure. I’m planning a three-four day overland tour of the Swell over Labor Day 2022. It looks awesome! But a a question. How rowdy a ride is this one? I’ll have at least one new guy in the group and I don’t want to lose him off the edge of a cliff or have him be *too* intimidated by rocky terrain. It seems like there are some pretty tight switchbacks in some areas, are these and Devil’s Racetrack readily mastered by a new off-roader? I appreciate any info you can provide.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
You will encounter some rockier/more technical terrain, and I would not attempt Devil's RaceTrack with a beginner. We've outlined trail ratings and the more technical sections in the route overview section, you can also try pinging these folks who added some trip reports for the SR Swell @Gvb40 @Todtan

OnX Technical Trail Ratings Explainer

Avg Trail Rating: 3
Peak Trail Rating: 5
Typical Terrain: Graded dirt roads and some moderately technical jeep trails with rocks, ruts, and washes (Eva Conover, Behind the Reef, Eagle Canyon, Devil's Racetrack (alternate route)).

Last edited: