overland

San Rafael Swell and Onion Creek

Just spent 8 days in Utah. Four of which consisted of getting there and back. Wish I lived there. Anyhow! Spent some time on the Wedge as usual.. Wedge #2 always seems to be free whenever we go there.. The
EFT side of the Wedge overlook is now a “no camping” zone. Don’t know why. Might have something to do with every square inch of real estate on the very edge was taken by a multitude of campers last time I was there 2 years ago.
Still decent camping by turning right at the outhouse.
Then we went across 70 to the south side and checked out Swazeys cabin, the Lone Warrior and then dropped down into a canyon facing 70.
What a view. Wound our way around trails back to Temple Mtn rd and went as far as chute canyon but turned around because further on it’s says 50” clearance and the Sprinter doesn’t qualify.
We ten boogied down to Upper Onion Creek campground and luckily got the last available spot but it was blowing like stink and dust clouds ensued. Nevertheless we got through it and woke to a beautiful sunny morning.
Onion Creek trail. It’s nice, scenic, very easy but over with very quickly, so we continued on through Fisher Valley to the top of a hill and then.
We looked at a very daunting downhill stretch that gave me second thoughts, not for long though and I launched the Sprinter over the edge.
Any 4x4 with crawl control would have done easily but the Sprinter doesn’t have crawl control. It actually was not as bad as I thought it was going to be however both Matt Harland and I doubted if we would be able to get back up it without winching if we had to turn around.
So ahead we went on Hideout rd. Not terrible, but slow going with Little Rock ledges. We made it to the intersection of the road going to Moab and Gateway Co in the other direction. It was just before lunchtime so we chose to go to Gateway. Just up the road we came across a dog standing in the middle of the road wearing a gps collar and two other collars. He looked like he was starving with his ribs sticking out, so I got out and started giving him some of Trixie’s (our dog) food. He ate about a pound of it and I tried coaxing him into the Van but he was having none of it. We went up and down the road a mile or so but there were no cars and no houses so I decide to drive toward Gateway and as soon as I got cell service I’d call the nearest Ranger station. We got about two miles up the road and along come a quad with two guys in Camo, a dog crate with deer horns on top,so I flagged them down and asked if they had lost a dog. “Maybe” came the brilliant answer. I said “That dog sure was hungry” He said “Nah, there built that way”. Another brilliant observation. At that I just drove off. I’m certain that dog belonged to that guy.
Gateway was a bust. No resto, just a service station with burritos you microwave. Can’t win ‘em all.. Back toward Moab and spent the night boondocked at 8,000 ft on the LaSal.
Breakfast in Moab, night at Hickison Petroglyphs CG and now I’m home in San Anselmo
Oh yeah I almost forgot. One day before our trip the refrigerator stopped running so we ended up doing the trip with an ice chest.. Memories of the past and all I despised about ice chests.
I’m always pleasantly surprised at what the Sprinter is capable of doing.

Attachments

• 40DB4A10-2B5C-4C66-B8B3-52EBBC5E92D5.jpeg
    40DB4A10-2B5C-4C66-B8B3-52EBBC5E92D5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • C407C8ED-EABF-4A9F-8739-D35A41366F98.jpeg
    C407C8ED-EABF-4A9F-8739-D35A41366F98.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • F33BFDD1-B3E9-45AE-94BD-56138E7BEA49.jpeg
    F33BFDD1-B3E9-45AE-94BD-56138E7BEA49.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2376E673-466B-4034-BC72-BAB08378A874.jpeg
    2376E673-466B-4034-BC72-BAB08378A874.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 4

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Been thinking we need a san rafael swell adventure badge. ;)