overland

Shasta-Trinity Backcountry Discovery Trail (California)

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Please post trail status for the Shasta-Trinity BDT here.

Include the Following for all Status Updates

Date:
Current Status:
Additional Details:

Example of a Trail Update for a Route

Date:
4/25/2021

Current Status: Open with some issues

Additional Details: Recent rains have caused the river levels to rise substantially. Buffalo River is approximately 3' deep. Lifted vehicles with larger tires (33" +) may find it difficult and/or dangerous to cross Buffalo River. There's another crossing that's about 30" deep 1/2 mile north of the main crossing. We recommend checking water levels first, but this is typically the alternative crossing point. Aside from water levels, the rest of the trail is running fantastic!

maxbotev

Trail Grom
Date: 5/21/2022
Current status: could not reach Tamarack Lake

Details:
This weekend I tried to reach Tamarack Lake from Lake Siskiyou area, was following your route. Everything went well till I reached location marked red on a map, it’s actually a pretty nice camp site (lots of trash though). But there was no trail that goes to the lake from there (blue trail). And no fork that is shown on the map, trail just goes north and becomes really narrow. So I was able to reach location marked blue and decided to turn around and go back to the camp because it was already almost sunset. Next morning hiked on foot around the camp and saw no signs of other trails except for one that was blocked by two big boulders.

Question: is there really a trail that I missed? What is the best route to Tamarack Lake?
282277534_10225971297925762_4055894698587877688_n.jpg282624788_10225971297725757_3166627460411942594_n.jpg

maxbotev

Trail Grom
Update: Ok, I think I found the problem. Now when I have internet access I checked the Google Maps and appears that Gaia Maps were not accurate. The trail to the lake is there but it’s 1/4 mile off from Gaia maps. I tried this trail on my first attempt but it’s blocked by two large boulders right in the middle of the road. I wish I took a picture but it looks like there were no safe bypass.283330456_10225971665854960_9003448511036961609_n.jpg

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Max,

Bummer you had navigating the track to Tamarack-- which is next level! I've been up there twice in the last 3 years, and both times my gpx signal tracked right along the route. In all likelihood, it's possible that your smart phone/table may not have been showing the correct location on the map.

One thing I did notice, is that the actual trail doesn't line up perfectly with Gaia's default map layer:

1653368342610.png

But when I use the USFS 2016 layer, it lines up perfectly:

1653368381382.png

maxbotev

Trail Grom
Hey Max,

Bummer you had navigating the track to Tamarack-- which is next level! I've been up there twice in the last 3 years, and both times my gpx signal tracked right along the route. In all likelihood, it's possible that your smart phone/table may not have been showing the correct location on the map.

One thing I did notice, is that the actual trail doesn't line up perfectly with Gaia's default map layer:

But when I use the USFS 2016 layer, it lines up perfectly:
Yep, now I realize that I used incorrect layer. But as I mentioned before the "right" trail was blocked with two large boulders :(

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Yep, now I realize that I used incorrect layer. But as I mentioned before the "right" trail was blocked with two large boulders :(

Hmmm, that seems odd. Been seeing some folks posting pix of Tamarack on FB lately. When you say boulders, as in heavy machinery moved them there to block the trail? The road up to tamarack is rather rocky, so it's possible some larger rocks rolled off the hillside onto the trail.

jr2000ph-197

Trail Grom
Hmmm, that seems odd. Been seeing some folks posting pix of Tamarack on FB lately. When you say boulders, as in heavy machinery moved them there to block the trail? The road up to tamarack is rather rocky, so it's possible some larger rocks rolled off the hillside onto the trail.
I was there last weekend. Camped saturday night. These boulders looked liked they were placed there. Somebody made a bypass thru the bushes to the left side of the two bloulders. So i just followed it. I remembered i hiked a little bit after setting up camp to check on the other trails. I did remember seeing another trail blocked by two boulders again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-171133_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-171133_Gallery.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I was there last weekend. Camped saturday night. These boulders looked liked they were placed there. Somebody made a bypass thru the bushes to the left side of the two bloulders. So i just followed it. I remembered i hiked a little bit after setting up camp to check on the other trails. I did remember seeing another trail blocked by two boulders again.

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully someone will winch these out of the way. There is a way to come in from I-5. If you look at the USFS 2016 layer in gaia, you can see how the roads connect, and then use the public tracks layer to see which one folks are using to access the lake from the east. However-- it have a feeling the eastern access point is probably a bit more technical, as the network around Tamarack is popular with the modified jeep crowd.

sixoverl-7035

Trail Grom
Just completed our recent 5.5 week adventure where we jumped on and off various routes.

On our way through a section of the Shasta-Trinity BDT we encountered a complete washout at DP12 Mud Creek. Trail is completely gone. snow melt obliterated the area and the current creek edges were about 10-20 feet deep with fast flowing muddy water. Completely impassible

Washout coordinates (41.33510, -122.11152)

sixoverl-7035

Trail Grom
Also found cones blocking off our northward route at 41.40513, -122.08196. Rerouted, not knowing reason for cones and rejoined trail at 41.43043, -122.07435.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Just completed our recent 5.5 week adventure where we jumped on and off various routes.

On our way through a section of the Shasta-Trinity BDT we encountered a complete washout at DP12 Mud Creek. Trail is completely gone. snow melt obliterated the area and the current creek edges were about 10-20 feet deep with fast flowing muddy water. Completely impassible

Washout coordinates (41.33510, -122.11152)

Bummer about mud creek. Hopefully you guys got a nice photo op of Mt Shasta behind you! Can't wait to hear more about your adventure!!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Is there an alternate crossing anyone recommends?

The section from the town of Mt Shasta to mud creek is mostly in the trees, so you don't really get the view of Mt Shasta until you reach Mud Creek. My recommendation would be to bypass the section from Mt Shasta town to Mud Creek altogether. You can take the highway to Pilgrim Creek Rd then jump on Widow Springs Road which will connect you back to the route. Even though Mud Creek is impassable, it has one of the best views of Shasta, so it's still worth doing a quick out and back.

jr2000ph-197

Trail Grom
The section from the town of Mt Shasta to mud creek is mostly in the trees, so you don't really get the view of Mt Shasta until you reach Mud Creek. My recommendation would be to bypass the section from Mt Shasta town to Mud Creek altogether. You can take the highway to Pilgrim Creek Rd then jump on Widow Springs Road which will connect you back to the route. Even though Mud Creek is impassable, it has one of the best views of Shasta, so it's still worth doing a quick out and back.
I had no trouble passing thru mud creek last year. I did it around last week of May. A little challenging but i was able to make it up with rear lockers engaged.

Attachments

• 20220522_151414.jpg
    20220522_151414.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220522_151410.jpg
    20220522_151410.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 13

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by @Flying_with_Falcor

Hey everyone!

Back from the Shasta BDT and Lassen BDT and I wanted to share that the road crossing mud creek on the Shasta BDT is completely washed out.

Not like ... yeah I could maybe cross it washed out. But completely gone with two 15 foot deep ravines. Absolutely nothing is crossing this. So enjoy the area, but this path is closed for the foreseeable future.