overland

Trail Run: Death Valley| Nov 20 - 24

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
man, super jealous....its trips like this that really make we wish I did not have a Sprinter van...
The good thing is, there are trips and roads for every type of rig. Even though I have the Four Wheel Camper, I envy you the interior space of your van. With our family of four, sleeping space always feels cramped for me. I think we may have to upgrade to one of those 6-wheel-drive behemoths that ride on a 10-ton truck chassis ....

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
Q: Has anyone reached out to Cerro Gordo about a visit/tour?

Found this info on: https://cerrogordomines.com/ (scroll way down to find it)

Tours are available by reservation and can be guided or self-guided.

Adults: $10 donation
Children: (5-12), FREE

There is no camping or overnight stays allowed.

Looks like we might be coming through there Tuesday, yes? I don't mind sending email asking for permission to tour the buildings, but didn't want to reach out if someone already has.

All-Terrain Family

Trail Grom
Just found out my wife bought tickets to the polar express training Virginia city the 19th, so we won't be able to leave until the 20th so we'll probably catch up on day 2 outside of Beatty at Titus. On the plus side, I think I can get out of having to go on the polar express train ride cause I'll have to pack for the trip.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Just found out my wife bought tickets to the polar express training Virginia city the 19th, so we won't be able to leave until the 20th so we'll probably catch up on day 2 outside of Beatty at Titus. On the plus side, I think I can get out of having to go on the polar express train ride cause I'll have to pack for the trip.

I have a SpotX if you want to communicate that way-- or I'm sure someone inthe group will have a garmin inreach if you have one. Let us know!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin

Looks like we might be coming through there Tuesday, yes? I don't mind sending email asking for permission to tour the buildings, but didn't want to reach out if someone already has.

I have not, if you want to reach out I say go for it!!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
We're coming from the Bay Area through Mojave, so I think we will try out camping luck on Friday night at Fossil Falls Campground. It looks to be a BLM campground on the east side of Hwy 395 about halfway between Indian Wells and Olancha. Tuttle Creek looked good as well, but its on the wrong side of Olancha for our direction of travel. If anybody wants to join us, we're in "Goldie Locks", our 2002 gold-colored F250 with a Four Wheel Camper on the back. I haven't seen any phone numbers being exchanged, but mine is (415) 331-3858. We will also have our Soleo satellite communicator on but should have plenty of cell reception on Friday. -- Andreas

Hey Andreas,

Are you still planning on staying at Fossil Falls? I've never stayed there, but it's a lot closer to the meetup than Trona Pinnacles, and it's a shorter drive too! I'm thinking this may be a better option for Daniel and I, who are both leaving the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday.

All-Terrain Family

Trail Grom
I have a SpotX if you want to communicate that way-- or I'm sure someone inthe group will have a garmin inreach if you have one. Let us know!
I don't have either of those. We could probably meet at your night one camp.

I have GMRS and Ham radio.

-M

All-Terrain Family

Trail Grom
Hey Andreas,

Are you still planning on staying at Fossil Falls? I've never stayed there, but it's a lot closer to the meetup than Trona Pinnacles, and it's a shorter drive too! I'm thinking this may be a better option for Daniel and I, who are both leaving the Bay Area early afternoon on Friday.
Fossil Falls is a good place to camp. And there's a cool hike there with a fun cave:

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
Hey Andreas,

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, we're just going to pull into Fossil Falls campground and see what we find. We're going to make it in daylight hours --- I like to see where I camp. We'll probably leave late morning -- 10-11am -- since my wife is taking the day off, and I'm pulling the kids out of school altogether. Should arrive by 4pm or so, depending on how long we doddle at lunch.

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom

In case
I sent a message to the contact form on the Cerro Gordo website. Will report back what response I get.
in case you are doing a headcount we are 2 adults and 2 kids 8 and 12. Thanks

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@All-Terrain Family I posted my SpotX # to the original post. Feel free to shoot me a message on Saturday and I'll let you know where we are. I'm thinking it's more likely at this point we'll camp at Hole in the Wall, which has plenty of room for a large group and will cut down on our drive time by a good 1.5 - 2 yours on Saturday (instead of going to Chloride City).

All-Terrain Family

Trail Grom
@All-Terrain Family I posted my SpotX # to the original post. Feel free to shoot me a message on Saturday and I'll let you know where we are. I'm thinking it's more likely at this point we'll camp at Hole in the Wall, which has plenty of room for a large group and will cut down on our drive time by a good 1.5 - 2 yours on Saturday (instead of going to Chloride City).
Ok. More than likely we'll meet up on the route Sunday.

Is spot just like a regular txt message then? Sorry, I have no clue how those things work.

-M

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
I am sorry to report, but may not be able to make the trip, as we just bought a Northstar pop up for the beast and I don't think l will be ready to go.
I will let you know of my progress early next week.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Ok. More than likely we'll meet up on the route Sunday.

Is spot just like a regular txt message then? Sorry, I have no clue how those things work.

-M

Yup! Just shoot me a text and I can reply to you and even send our coordinates as well.

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
I'm assuming we'll all need a pass for entry into DVNP:

By the way, if any of you have 4th Graders, they are eligible for a free National Parks Pass. We plan to get ours at Death Valley NP. They're good all year (for the school year and slightly beyond) for your entire family for entry into any national park. It's a perk for being a 4th Grader.

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
I am sorry to report, but may not be able to make the trip, as we just bought a Northstar pop up for the beast and I don't think l will be ready to go.
I will let you know of my progress early next week.