overland

Trail Run: Death Valley| Nov 20 - 24

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@nckwltn @All-Terrain Family

Proposed route has been posted to the original thread. This is an aggressive proposal, especially for a larger group traveling with kids. I wholly expect that we'll need to make some modifications, perhaps skipping things like Artist's Pallet, Twenty Mule Canyon, and Racetrack Playa. Consider this a guide, but certainly not written in stone!!

All-Terrain Family

Trail Grom
The route seems ambitious.

For reference, we did Beatty to Titus to Ubehebe to Racetrack in one day and it was a long day. We stopped at Leadville, Ubehebe and along the road to Racetrack.

The ambitious part is doing southern park and northern park in the same trip. But then most of that first day is paved, but the kids are going to want to spend time at the Star Wars Canyon and Badwater. If we keep it to a few stops it would be OK and the road transfers wouldn't be bad.

Day 2 would be good if we can avoid going all the way into Beatty. IF we can manage the fuel consumption.

Day 3: My kids love sand and will want to spend a few hours on the dune. Homestake would be a good camp for day 3. Night on the playa is REALLY COOL. But it may be wet.

Day 4: I'm not familiar with the loop through hidden valley. If that's a slow road then maybe back down Lippencott would be better and then we can decide on Cerro Gordo or a quick exit.

I've done Steele and Lippencott the opposite directions from proposed and am keen to do them the other way.

The challenge will be getting the families up early given the short days...

-M

All-Terrain Family

Trail Grom
The route seems ambitious.

For reference, we did Beatty to Titus to Ubehebe to Racetrack in one day and it was a long day. We stopped at Leadville, Ubehebe and along the road to Racetrack.

The ambitious part is doing southern park and northern park in the same trip. But then most of that first day is paved, but the kids are going to want to spend time at the Star Wars Canyon and Badwater. If we keep it to a few stops it would be OK and the road transfers wouldn't be bad.

Day 2 would be good if we can avoid going all the way into Beatty. IF we can manage the fuel consumption.

Day 3: My kids love sand and will want to spend a few hours on the dune. Homestake would be a good camp for day 3. Night on the playa is REALLY COOL. But it may be wet.

Day 4: I'm not familiar with the loop through hidden valley. If that's a slow road then maybe back down Lippencott would be better and then we can decide on Cerro Gordo or a quick exit.

I've done Steele and Lippencott the opposite directions from proposed and am keen to do them the other way.

The challenge will be getting the families up early given the short days...

-M
It's still a lot. Another option that allows for more time out of the vehicles:

Beatty - Titus - Ubehebe - Eureka - CAMP
Dunes - Dececkera - Steele - Marble Bath - Saline - CAMP
Saline Valley - Grapevine - Hunter Mountain - Teakettle - Homestake CAMP
Lippencott - Cerro Gordo - HOME

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom
Meeting Location: tbd - possibly around lone pine

Start Time: Meet at 10a, we'll be heading out at 10:30am sharp!!

Recommend Vehicle:
4x4 w/ 2" lift and AT or MT tires (sprinters not recommended on this route)

Route + GPX: Death Valley Adv Route, will post the kml + gpx files soon

Recommended Gear: We recommend carrying 5 gal of extra fuel if your vehicle is equipped. If you can carry 10, even better as not everyone's rigs may be equipped to carry extra fuel and we're going to need it once we depart Titus Canyon. Be prepared for a wide range of temps. Can be subfreezing at night and 80+ during the day.

Food + Water: There is limited access to food and water along the route. We recommend that you carry sufficient water and food for the entire 5 day adventure.

Communications: GMRS Channel 15>> 462.550

More info coming real soon! Stay tuned!

If you're interested in this event, please RSVP at: https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/events-1/black-rock-desert-family-adventure

Proposed Itinerary
Gaia Link: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/R26mVzGPDRy5ervt771ZiXoz
Total Mileage: 450 mi, but strong likelihood we'll end up skipping some sections to save mileage.
Longest Stop Between Fuel: Beatty to Panamint Springs (approx 250 miles, but could be closer 200 depending if we cut out the Racetrack Playa)

Day 1 | 180 - 190 miles
- 95% pavement
- Starwars Canyon
- Badwater Basin
- Artists Pallette
- Twenty Mule Cannon (time bearing)
- Keane Wonder Mine (time bearing)
- Camp Chrloride City & Cliffs

Day 2 | 125 miles
- 67% pavement, 33% dirt
- Beatty (gas) >> Next gas is approx 250 miles @ Panamint Springs
- Ryholite Ghost town
- Titus Canyon
- Eureka Dunes Camp

Day 3 | 60 miles
- 100% dirt
- No opportunity for gas
- Steele Pass
- Saline Valley Hotsprings
- The Bat Signal
- Camp

Day 4 | 30 - 70 depending if we go to the Racetrack Playa
- opportunity to bail out Hwy 190
- 100% dirt
- Racetrack Playa
- Lippincott Pass
- Cerro Gordo Ghosttown
- camp location tbd
Great adventure. See you there.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I plan to pull the kids out of school that day. I don't like to drive at rush hour, especially on a Friday afternoon. We'll probably leave around noon or just before, depending on whether we start at Trona Pinnacles or somewhere else.

So I just found out Thomas' school has minimum days the entire week ending on Nov 19, which maens we should be on the highway by 1:30pm, possibly earlier. I'm expecting some holiday traffic, but it's a helluva lot better than leaving at 4pm!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
It's still a lot. Another option that allows for more time out of the vehicles:

Beatty - Titus - Ubehebe - Eureka - CAMP
Dunes - Dececkera - Steele - Marble Bath - Saline - CAMP
Saline Valley - Grapevine - Hunter Mountain - Teakettle - Homestake CAMP
Lippencott - Cerro Gordo - HOME

I'm 100% expecting we will need to modify (shorten) the track, but there's a lot of options to do that. Biggest challenge is the gas situation after going thru Titus Canyon. With the shortened days and daylight disappearing by around 4:30pm, we'll shoot to be on the trail by 9:30am every day.

DPurdy85

Staff member
Meeting Location: tbd - possibly around lone pine

Start Time: Meet at 10a, we'll be heading out at 10:30am sharp!!

Recommend Vehicle:
4x4 w/ 2" lift and AT or MT tires (sprinters not recommended on this route)

Route + GPX: Death Valley Adv Route, will post the kml + gpx files soon

Recommended Gear: We recommend carrying 5 gal of extra fuel if your vehicle is equipped. If you can carry 10, even better as not everyone's rigs may be equipped to carry extra fuel and we're going to need it once we depart Titus Canyon. Be prepared for a wide range of temps. Can be subfreezing at night and 80+ during the day.

Food + Water: There is limited access to food and water along the route. We recommend that you carry sufficient water and food for the entire 5 day adventure.

Communications: GMRS Channel 15>> 462.550

More info coming real soon! Stay tuned!

If you're interested in this event, please RSVP at: https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/events-1/black-rock-desert-family-adventure

Proposed Itinerary
Gaia Link: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/R26mVzGPDRy5ervt771ZiXoz
Total Mileage: 450 mi, but strong likelihood we'll end up skipping some sections to save mileage.
Longest Stop Between Fuel: Beatty to Panamint Springs (approx 250 miles, but could be closer 200 depending if we cut out the Racetrack Playa)

Day 1 | 180 - 190 miles
- 95% pavement
- Starwars Canyon
- Badwater Basin
- Artists Pallette
- Twenty Mule Cannon (time bearing)
- Keane Wonder Mine (time bearing)
- Camp Chrloride City & Cliffs

Day 2 | 125 miles
- 67% pavement, 33% dirt
- Beatty (gas) >> Next gas is approx 250 miles @ Panamint Springs
- Ryholite Ghost town
- Titus Canyon
- Eureka Dunes Camp

Day 3 | 60 miles
- 100% dirt
- No opportunity for gas
- Steele Pass
- Saline Valley Hotsprings
- The Bat Signal
- Camp

Day 4 | 30 - 70 depending if we go to the Racetrack Playa
- opportunity to bail out Hwy 190
- 100% dirt
- Racetrack Playa
- Lippincott Pass
- Cerro Gordo Ghosttown
- camp location tbd

If we ask, we can camp at Cerro Gordo. Just don’t fly a drone on the property lol. We can also ask for tours. Cerro Gordo is very high elevation too. Will probably be super cold as an fyi.

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom
I'm 100% expecting we will need to modify (shorten) the track, but there's a lot of options to do that. Biggest challenge is the gas situation after going thru Titus Canyon. With the shortened days and daylight disappearing by around 4:30pm, we'll shoot to be on the trail by 9:30am every day.
I could get the kids out of school early too. Let me know if we could drive together.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
Just seeing the thread updates now (email alerts were going to spam :confused:)... I think we are also going to come up and camp near the starting area on Friday night to avoid a SUPER early start on Saturday. Would be great to link up with others who are doing the same.

Miles on day 1 feels pretty high, but likely possible with pavement. My thoughts would be to pass on things that we drive through/by, and spend more time in places where we are out and walking/exploring (similar idea for other parts of the adventure)

Racetrack/Lippincott:
A year ago, I ran with a group of 6 vehicles that left Racetrack around 10ish, went down Lippincott, stopped at the springs for lunch, and didn't make it to the dunes before dark hit us. I anticipate a trip up or down Lippincott to take a good bit of time with a large group with various off-road experience levels.

I like the idea of camping at Cerro Gordo (we would have to secure permission as suggested). I know my kids are super excited to go there in person. We've been watching the YT videos for a while now. The range from Beatty to the next fuel stop will be a push for me, I'll plan on having 10 gallons to get me through everything.

For consideration:
One alternate idea for day 3 or 4 (wherever it lands), we skip lippincott & racetrack. Get up to Cerro Gordo earlier and go check out the Salt Tram transfer station. This should end up saving time, miles, and still provide out-of-car exploration opportunity. This would put us at 192 miles from Beatty to Cerro Gordo (not counting a Salt Tram out and back to Cerro Gordo). Hitting up the Salt Tram isn't the same as going to the Racetrack Playa, but it might be a strong substitute location to visit/explore.

1636481544337.png

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey all,

I'll still be attending, but we've had some family stuff come up and unfortunately my 6yo Thomas won't be able to make it. I love DV, but was really hoping he'd get tag along and connect with all of the other kids on the trip. Next time!

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
Hello campers, I was wondering where there would be camping for a Friday night as I plan on leaving from Lincoln, Ca. @05:00 any help would be greatly appreciated.

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
I'm not sure where we plan to stop for fuel, but I will need diesel when we do. I carry nearly 60 gallons, and have a range of over 500 miles in 4 wheel low (with some reserve). If anyone knows if diesel is likely to be available at our stops, please let me know, otherwise I will plan accordingly.
-- Andreas

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey folks, Daniel @DPurdy85 and I should be rolling out of the Bay Area early afternoon. We're still figuring out logistics, but we'll most likely camp at Trona Pinnacles as it shouldn't be difficult finding a campsite out that way. It's about 1.5 hours from Trona to the meetup location, and to be on the safe side we'll likely roll out a bit early-- circa 8am.

SMALL REMINDER
We recommend carrying a minimum of 5 gallons (10 would be better) of extra fuel for the days 3-4 (no refueling options once we depart Titus Canyon).

CAchief

Weekend Warrior
Looks like a great route @OTG Ben, thanks for creating the waypoints for us in Gaia to get a visual.

Our family was in DV this past February and we did a similar route @All-Terrain Family mentioned: Echo Canyon-Beatty-Titus Canyon-Ubehebe-Racetrack-Hidden Valley/Hunter mountain. I'm so happy the proposed route skips the Ubehebe-Racetrack 30 mile washboard road! Never going that way again!

Our family is most excited to see the Eureka dunes. Cerro Gordo is high on our list as the wife and I began watching the YT videos recently; what a cool place!

We'll be departing San Luis Obispo area when I get off work around 4 and stay the night in Tehachapi (hotel) to avoid a very long Saturday drive. Excited to meet you all, and bummed Thomas can't make it .. Guess we'll just need to do another down the road!

-Ryan

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
but we'll most likely camp at Trona Pinnacles as it shouldn't be difficult finding a caIt's about 1.5 hours from Trona to the meetup location
@OTG Ben , Confirming you are camping at the pinnacles Friday night? It seems like it's a fair bit out of the way to get to the meetup spot noted in the first post if your coming from the bay area.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
I'm not sure where we plan to stop for fuel, but I will need diesel when we do. I carry nearly 60 gallons, and have a range of over 500 miles in 4 wheel low (with some reserve). If anyone knows if diesel is likely to be available at our stops, please let me know, otherwise I will plan accordingly.
-- Andreas
Lone pine will have diesel. As will Beatty NV... But it might be hard to come by other places. But 500 miles of range should be plenty of you leave those fuel stops topped off. Probably better to top off on NV fuel with lower taxes.

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
I have never been to this part of the state for recreation. Would It be difficult pulling an M416 trailer through?
I am traveling hwy 50 to the 88/89then down 395 probably about 7 to 8 hrs drive time. Trina Pinnacles for Friday night camp? Can we have camp fires?

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
I have never been to this part of the state for recreation. Would It be difficult pulling an M416 trailer through?
I am traveling hwy 50 to the 88/89then down 395 probably about 7 to 8 hrs drive time. Trina Pinnacles for Friday night camp? Can we have camp fires?

Not sure about Pinnacles for fires, DVNP does allow fires, but only in pre established camp areas with existing fire rings. I'm thinking that most of our nightly stops will be in those types of places.

I don't think any area would be a problem for your trailer, assuming you aren't pulling it with a Camry :cool: