overland

Trail Run: Death Valley| Nov 20 - 24

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
For those camping Friday night, I'm planning on camping nearer to Lone Pine so that meeting up on Olancha is a shorter Saturday morning drive.

Don't know yet where I'll camp exactly. I would like to think Alabama Hills, but it will probably be busy, and I'll be coming in after dark for sure. So finding a spot might be challenging.

IMHO, the Pinnacles are a fair bit out of the way if you're coming through Tehachapi from the bay area. If you're coming down 395 from the north, you'll pretty much pass through Olancha to get to the Pinnacles.

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
Not sure about Pinnacles for fires, DVNP does allow fires, but only in pre established camp areas with existing fire rings. I'm thinking that most of our nightly stops will be in those types of places.

I don't think any area would be a problem for your trailer, assuming you aren't pulling it with a Camry :cool:
Although ... it would be fun to see him pull it with a Camry. Just sayin ....:ninja:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I have never been to this part of the state for recreation. Would It be difficult pulling an M416 trailer through?
I am traveling hwy 50 to the 88/89then down 395 probably about 7 to 8 hrs drive time. Trina Pinnacles for Friday night camp? Can we have camp fires?

Hey Sean,

I plan to be hitting the highway around 1:30 and will probably go out through either 580 or hwy 4 and then jump onto the 5. I'll be meeting Daniel along the way since he lives in livermore.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
Does anyone on the trip plan on using an inReach? If so, DM me and lets share our inreach addresses so that we can communicate directly between inReach devices if needed.

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
I have one but I don't know how to forward my address. I will read up on it and get back to your request in a day or two.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
For Friday night camping with an Olancha meetup spot, I'm planning on camping at Tuttle Creek, it's right near Alabama Hills, it does cost $8, but I'm thinking that I won't have to drive around looking for a place. I'm also reading that Alabama Hills has closed some of the camping areas and converted those to day-use only.

Tuttle Creek to Olancha = 25miles

CAchief

Weekend Warrior
I have never been to this part of the state for recreation. Would It be difficult pulling an M416 trailer through?
I am traveling hwy 50 to the 88/89then down 395 probably about 7 to 8 hrs drive time. Trina Pinnacles for Friday night camp? Can we have camp fires?
I have not run Steele Pass or Lippincott, but this video will give you an idea of the Steele Pass obstacles the way we're going.

You'll see an FJ pulling a trailer as well.

6 min mark

Sean Bonick

Weekend Warrior
bonsolair@inreach
For Friday night camping with an Olancha meetup spot, I'm planning on camping at Tuttle Creek, it's right near Alabama Hills, it does cost $8, but I'm thinking that I won't have to drive around looking for a place. I'm also reading that Alabama Hills has closed some of the camping areas and converted those to day-use only.

Tuttle Creek to Olancha = 25miles
Looks great

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
I have not run Steele Pass or Lippincott, but this video will give you an idea of the Steele Pass obstacles the way we're going.

You'll see an FJ pulling a trailer as well.

6 min mark

6 min mark looks like Dedeckera Canyon. Steele pass would be right around the same time that they were at the Marble Bath. The canyon is probably more challenging than the pass... But it gives a good idea of the obstacles.

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
We're coming from the Bay Area through Mojave, so I think we will try out camping luck on Friday night at Fossil Falls Campground. It looks to be a BLM campground on the east side of Hwy 395 about halfway between Indian Wells and Olancha. Tuttle Creek looked good as well, but its on the wrong side of Olancha for our direction of travel. If anybody wants to join us, we're in "Goldie Locks", our 2002 gold-colored F250 with a Four Wheel Camper on the back. I haven't seen any phone numbers being exchanged, but mine is (415) 331-3858. We will also have our Soleo satellite communicator on but should have plenty of cell reception on Friday. -- Andreas

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
we're in "Goldie Locks", our 2002 gold-colored F250 with a Four Wheel Camper on the back.
Do you have a lift? Also are you the same width as an F150?

Dedeckera canyon will be a tight fit for a full sized truck. A full size truck can make it, but it's pretty tight for an F150.

I'm going all the way to lone pine for easy breakfast in the am :)

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
Do you have a lift? Also are you the same width as an F150?

Dedeckera canyon will be a tight fit for a full sized truck. A full size truck can make it, but it's pretty tight for an F150.

I'm going all the way to lone pine for easy breakfast in the am :)
We have 4+ inches of lift on 35's with sliders. We are similar in size to the F150, with almost identical width.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
We have 4+ inches of lift on 35's with sliders. We are similar in size to the F150, with almost identical width.
Sweet, it'll be a tight fit, but you'll be fine (probably :)). Stock F150 with no lift ends up having JUST a little bit of breakover angle issues.

Last edited:

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
Sweet, it'll be a tight fit, but you'll be fine (probably :)). Stock F150 with no lift ends up having JUST a little bit of breakover angle issues.
I agree that it's a tight canyon. I watched a couple of videos where Ford Sportsmobile vans were going through, and they seemed to make it. I also think UP would be easier than coming down.

rckjnke

Trail Grom
man, super jealous....its trips like this that really make we wish I did not have a Sprinter van...