overland

Owyhee Canyonlands - South to North?

mailfora-8410

Trail Grom
Looking to spend 7-8 days in the Owyhees this spring. Curious if anyone has run through there from south to north (starting around Basque, heading east to Three Forks Dome/Hot Springs --> up to Jordan Valley --> up through the more popular part of the canyonlands to Leslie Gulch, Three Fingers, Succor Creek, etc.).

One, I'm interested to know if you can even get across the Owyhee River anywhere in the south, either via bridge or river crossing (is this feasible in late May?). Or will I need to go up to Rome and then come down the east side of the river in order to get to the Three Forks Hot Spring?

What else is worth exploring south of Jordan Valley?

Driving a lifted 2016 Land Cruiser, have an aux fuel tank, rescue gear, experience off roading. Pull a MOAB Fort XL trailer, though hoping to pick 2-3 spots to basecamp and then head out of for swimming/hot springs/hiking day trips. Any recommendations for base camp spots between Three Forks and Succor Creek are welcome! Thanks in advance, happy travels gang!

- AndyIMG_1031.jpeg

Luinil

Weekend Warrior
We were on the east side of the Owyhee las September. Beautiful place. To my knowledge the southern most place to cross the Owyhee in May is the bridge at Rome Station. The river is usually high and flowing fast making fording the river impossible until late summer or early fall.

There are several hiking trails on the road into Leslie Gulch as well as a ranch you can explore. Jordan Craters is on the way into Three Forks. There are several dead end side roads that come off of Three Forks Road that lead to canyon overlooks. They look like good camping spots. It could be fairly cold at night in May. The drop into Three Forks is steep and rocky in spots. Hope you have a good trip.

mailfora-8410

Trail Grom

Shanduar

Trail Grom
Crossing the Owyhee River might be tricky in late May. I'd check for bridge conditions or consider the Rome route. South of Jordan Valley, Juniper Gulch and Juniper Mountain are worth exploring. For base camps, check out spots around Three Forks or Succor Creek.