overland

Owyhee Discovery Trail - June 3, 2023

I was able to drive the entire route during the first week of June and had a blast. This was my first time using an OTG route and it won't be the last...very grateful for the time and energy that went into this site! Below is some information that may help anyone planning a trip in the near future.

Some info regarding the route for planning purposes (starting from the Owyhee Dam side). As you leave the main road just past Indian Creek Campground the trail is slightly overgrown and you should expect some minor pinstriping. The overgrowth only lasts for a few hundred yards -- specifically where some trees are pulling water from a small creek in a few spots -- and ends as you start to climb. The guide states the road is "wide graded dirt," but I found it to be pretty rocky though not technical...just expect some slow miles for planning purposes. All other aspects of the trail match the guide.

Now for some general information. The area was still very green, but some grass is already getting pretty crispy near Three Fingers Gulch and the surrounding area. Roads were is decent shape, but there are some good size ruts in areas that collected water with multiple standing pools throughout the trail (especially the last section from Jordan Valley toward the Pillars of Rome). I had great weather so didn't need to contend with mud for the most part, but some pools would be a bit challenging for a Subaru/Sprinter assuming they haven't dried up already. With the exception of Succor Creek (a good amount of people on Friday, but it was still easy to find a camping spot) and Leslie Gulch (packed with at least 100 people on the Saturday I passed through) I only saw a handful of vehicles in the more remote areas.

All the best,

John

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1531.jpeg
    IMG_1531.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1462.jpeg
    IMG_1462.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1245.jpeg
    IMG_1245.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

mailfora-8410

Trail Grom
Curious to know, OP or Ben or anyone else experienced in this area, is there any advantage or rationale running it north to south? Anyone been down toward Three Forks Hot Springs? I was picturing adding that on, either to start or finish.