Admin
***You must have a reservation in order to join this event***

Trip duration: 4 days/3 nights
GPX File:
temporary download link

Meeting Location
February 22 9am (depart by 9:30am), meet Joshua Tree NP Visitor Center
6554 Park Blvd, Joshua Tree, CA 92252

Please make sure you arrive with a full tank of fuel and all of the necessities required over the course of 4 days. We will not be stopping at stores along the way.

Documents/Fees
Passes are currently $30 per vehicle and provide access for 7 days.

Firearms
This is a family friendly event. We ask that you keep your firearm stowed away in your vehicle at all times. Please make sure you read up on the NPS' policy regarding firearms in JTNP.

Pets
Well behaved dogs are allowed. The current policy for pets in JTNP is as follows:

Pets are not allowed on hiking trails, in the backcountry, or in park buildings. Even if they are in a backpack or carried, they are still now allowed in these areas. Pets must remain within 100 feet (30.5 m) of roads, parking areas, and campgrounds. Pets must remain on a leash at all times.

Fuel & Gear
We won't be stopping to refuel given the relatively short length of this trip. We will be doing a number of short hikes (typically nothing longer than a couple of miles), so bring the appropriate clothing and footwear.

Medical Info / Emergency Contact
Please print a copy of pertinent medical info and emergency contact info (at least two persons) on a card/piece of paper, and have this attached to your visor.

Comms: GMRS channel 15, freq 462.550
Firewood: I'll be using the extra money to buy firewood, but if you can, please bring a bundle.

Itinerary

Day 1 | Explore JTNP

Camp: Sheep Pass Campground
Mileage: 50
Day 1 will be comprised almost entirely of paved roads.

• Hike Hidden Valley Loop - 0.9 mi
  • Hike to Barker Dam -0.7 mi
  • Visit Keys Viewpoint
  • Hike to Hall of Horrors slot canyon - 0.5 mi
  • Visit Skull Rock
  • Head to Sheep Pass Group Camp

Day 2 | Berdoo & Pinkham Canyons
Camp: Joshua Tree South BLM Camping area
Mileage: 70

We'll hit the dirt and head south on Geology Tour Road, Berdoo Canyon, and then Pinkham Canyon. Most of the day will be spent driving, unlike day 1.

• Geology Tour Road (download the brochure for Geology Tour Rd)
  • Berdoo Canyon
  • Camp Berdoo ruins
  • Pinkham Canyon
  • Visit Cottonwood Spring Oasis
  • Hike Mastodon Peak Loop (time permitting) - 2.4 mi
  • Head to Joshua Tree South BLM Campground

Day 3 | Old Dale Road
Camp: BLM land in the vicinity of Iron Age Mine
Mileage: 50

We'll continue north on Old Dale Road heading north to the old mines that are scattered around Old Dale Road, Brooklyn Mine Road, and Iron Age Road. We'll visit a number of mines along the way.

• North Star Mine
  • Mission Gold Mines
  • Rose of Peru Mine
  • Gold Standard Mine
  • Brooklyn Mine
  • Supply Mine (time permitting)

Day 4 | Head home
Optional: Visit Oasis of Mara on the way home. This is a short hike on a paved path in the town of Twentynine Palms.

Last edited:

DesertIslands

Trail Grom
Greetings! I’m looking forward to meeting and exploring together next month. Two questions:

1) I am well-equipped for the trip in terms of camping and recovery gear, but I don’t own a GMRS radio. Is there an entry-level GMRS handheld that anyone would recommend? Or would one be available to borrow?

2) On a full tank my vehicle’s range is about 275 miles, without factoring in inefficient 4WD and low-range driving. It looks like a full tank will be more than enough for this trip, but I wanted to ask if it'd make any sense to carry a jerry can, just to be safe.

Thanks, and looking forward.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hi @DesertIslands!

You can pick up a Beofeng handheld unit on Amazon for around $25. The old versions were jailbroken and worked across HAM, FRS and GMRS. I think the FAA cracked down on them, so you may need to buy a unit that's specific to GMRS. Just pay attention to the description. I may have an extra, but I'm not sure where it's at right now, so can't guarantee that.

I always recommend carrying extra fuel, even when you think you may not need it. Always better to be safe than stranded, especially in the desert!

Last edited:

rcelectron

Trail Grom
Greetings! I’m looking forward to meeting and exploring together next month. Two questions:

1) I am well-equipped for the trip in terms of camping and recovery gear, but I don’t own a GMRS radio. Is there an entry-level GMRS handheld that anyone would recommend? Or would one be available to borrow?

2) On a full tank my vehicle’s range is about 275 miles, without factoring in inefficient 4WD and low-range driving. It looks like a full tank will be more than enough for this trip, but I wanted to ask if it'd make any sense to carry a jerry can, just to be safe.

Thanks, and looking forward.
Pretty much any GMRS or FRS radio will work. GMRS and FRS radios are fully interoperable/work together. FRS doesn’t do repeaters (rarely an issue on the trail) and is lower power. Amazon has a number of GMRS-specific (type certified) radios. GMRS-specific is a better way than the ham radio oriented models that sometimes get recommended. GMRS-specific radios are legal and easier (come preprogrammed and all ready to use) option than the very well known UV-5r.

The Baofeng G11S or GM-15 Pro are good low cost options. They are 3W and 5W respectively, both charge by USB-C (very convenient).

joeray

Trail Grom
If you plan on doing more trail runs, get yourself a decent radio. I'd recommend the Wouxun KG-805G without hesitation. You can now get one on buytwowayradios.com for $80. including free shipping.

DesertIslands

Trail Grom
Thanks for the replies, @OTG Ben, @rcelectron, and @joeray. I appreciate the advice and will definitely pick up a radio for the trip. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Baofeng UV-5G Plus, just because it seems like the newest model in this product range. The Wouxun KG-805G looks solid as well, but would be pushing my budget for a starter—though I take the point about getting something that will be future-proof.

Thanks for the two cents about carrying a jerry can. Thought I was maybe overthinking that but you're right, better to be safe than sorry. 🏜️

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
GPX file coming by this weekend. We'll be using an updated GPX file (not the same one currently on the route's download page) for the trail run.

pete_coh-5689

Trail Grom
GPX file coming by this weekend. We'll be using an updated GPX file (not the same one currently on the route's download page) for the trail run.
So is the link to the GPX file on your first post what we are using? Or is there another file you will be posting?
-Pete

K ccart

Trail Grom
Hello all, I’m Keith and live in the OC (Orange County) looking forward to this adventure. Think I am set. My Jeep is in the shop today for routine service. I usually travel with my dog Kala, but she’ll be staying home on this one since she won’t be able to join us on the hikes.IMG_4235.jpeg

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 8

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hello all, I’m Keith and live in the OC (Orange County) looking forward to this adventure. Think I am set. My Jeep is in the shop today for routine service. I usually travel with my dog Kala, but she’ll be staying home on this one since she won’t be able to join us on the hikes.

I'll have my pup with me. As long as it's not super warm, she's pretty good about hanging out in the truck. She may not like it, but she tolerates it :geek:

By the way, if anyone is looking to get out a few days early, I'll be hitting Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument Monday-Wednesday.

syedianrefugio

Trail Grom
See you in Joshua Tree, Ben. I might skip out early from the Sonoran Desert Trail to make it to the meet up spot in time.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
See you in Joshua Tree, Ben. I might skip out early from the Sonoran Desert Trail to make it to the meet up spot in time.

I'll be joining you guys for the final night of camp along the sonoran route. And yes, I'll be packing up early to make it up to Joshua Tree.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Ian and I are in Indio right now. Should be at the meetup location right around 9.