overland

AWD Transit vs 4x4 Sprinter

bikemerchant

Trail Grom
Many of the routes are listed as passable with a 4x4 Sprinter. Given Sprinters don't have a 2 speed transfer case with low range, does that mean they're also passable with an AWD Transit?

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Many of the routes are listed as passable with a 4x4 Sprinter. Given Sprinters don't have a 2 speed transfer case with low range, does that mean they're also passable with an AWD Transit?

Hey @bikemerchant
We simply deferred to the Sprinter 4x4, because it became the most popular 4WD platform for adventure vans over the last 5+ years. I'd pay more attention to the peak technical rating of a particular route. We've some expert drivers when it comes to sprinters that can work wonders with them, but probably far out of the comfort zone of the average, or even above average driver. Generally speaking, we don't recommend sprinters when things go beyond a peak rating of 4.

You can see the complete 10 point rating system here:
https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/trail-rating-system

bikemerchant

Trail Grom
That's what I figured. There's trails that I would be concerned about taking a Jeep with a RTT on, let along a high roof van. I'm assuming vehicles like Subarus should be held to 4 or under also?