overland

Gold Butte Adventure Route

My wife and I just went to Gold Butte National Monument at the end of April. We didn't do the Valley of Fire portion of the adventure route on this trip. We actually did that back in February. Our route differed slightly. We started out at Riverside and drove south to G.B.N.M. We spent two nights at Little Finland. The second day, we drove the main loop counter-clockwise. We stopped and Lime Canyon and hiked about a 1.5 miles down the canyon. The next stop was The Gold Butte townsite. We also drove the loop down to the Crystal Radio Mine. That area was actually much better that I expected we really enjoyed it. Next we headed back to Little Finland to our campsite. On the way, we did the obligatory stop at the Devils Throat. Personally, they could fill in that hole. The next day we headed to Whitney Pocket and set up camp by the little CCC cave across the road from the CCC dam. We went out to the see the petroglyphs that afternoon. Both my wife and our dog that is was too hot. It was about 88 degrees. The next morning we headed out over Whitney Pass and on to the Black Rock Mountain trail. We came out at I-15 south of Saint George.

It was a great trip and plan to return. I want to do some more hiking next time and spend more time at the petroglyphs.

Here is my video on youtube ...

Kevin