overland

Looking for Intel on Lassen BDT for mid July

Flying_with_Falcor

Trail Grom
Each summer my kids and I take an epic back country trip. This year we get TWO. We already went to the Black Rock Desert which was fantastic and wild.
Next on the radar is the Lassen BDT around July 18th.

I KNOW a lot can change in a few weeks for the current snow conditions. Especially with higher temperatures, the snow is rapidly melting and trails that were blocked last week are new manageable.

Does anyone have any good intel on the this area and route? I can see Lassen NP is still blocked in the middle due to snow, I can monitor that online.

I have download the route (which is always extremely helpful) - but I am curious if there are good campsite recommendations if we started north. I am planning on camping outside Lassen for a day or two so we can access the park by day and then wilderness camp at night. Any recommendations on just outside the park sites would be ideal.

Thanks again all and good luck out there!
Tony

Flying_with_Falcor

Trail Grom
I did a little more research and wanted to give a shout out to @OTG Ben for his article on Gaia overlays. I use these all the time, but had not selected the snow depth one. This helped clear up the confusion if there was snow and making sure I skirt all the previous wildfire areas.

Big thanks! Looking forward to an epic trip.

Attachments

• Lassen BCDT With Overlays.jpg
    Lassen BCDT With Overlays.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I did a little more research and wanted to give a shout out to @OTG Ben for his article on Gaia overlays. I use these all the time, but had not selected the snow depth one. This helped clear up the confusion if there was snow and making sure I skirt all the previous wildfire areas.

Big thanks! Looking forward to an epic trip.

The snowdepth layer is great for a general approximation. I just stumped across the Fresh Sat layer, which combined with the snow depth layer really takes the accuracy on running into a snowdrift to a previously unseen level!

Flying_with_Falcor

Trail Grom
That's cool! I got a little confused because those big puffy clouds on the sat map also look like snow! I was wondering why some low elevations looked completely buried LOL.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
That's cool! I got a little confused because those big puffy clouds on the sat map also look like snow! I was wondering why some low elevations looked completely buried LOL.

Please provide a trip report if you ended up doing the Lassen BDT. I may try to get up there at the end of summer, but the truck is currently in the shop for some serious work :/