overland

Sedona Backcountry Trail - May 17 - 23

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
***You must have a reservation in order to join this event***

May 17 - May23
Trip duration: 7 days/6 nights (275 miles)
GPX File:
download link

Meeting Location
10am at Black Potion Coffee & Crystals
841 AZ-179, Sedona, AZ 86336

Please make sure you arrive with a full tank of fuel and all of the necessities required for the duration of the trip.

Documents/Fees

n/a

Firearms
This is a family friendly event. We ask that you leave your firearm at home or keep it stowed away in your vehicle at all times. It is your responsiblity to be informed of any local regs pertaining to firearms.

Pets
Well behaved dogs are allowed.

Gear & Fuel
We'll be traveling around 275 miles. Unless you have a long range auxiliary tank, we recommend that everyone carry at least 5 gallons of extra fuel depending on your fuel tank size and range when driving off road. There's an opportunity to refuel in Kachina on day 2.

Bring appropriate hiking/outdoor gear. We'll be at elevation, so we could see some swings in the temperature. Daytime temps are likely to be 65-80F, but larger variations are possible. Be prepared for cooler night time temps, potentially down to freezing if we get some cold weather.

Medical Info / Emergency Contact
Please print a copy of pertinent medical info and emergency contact info (at least two persons) on a card/piece of paper, and have this attached to your visor.

Comms: GMRS channel 15, freq 462.550
Firewood: please bring firewood if you can!

Itinerary

>> Please note, we will be stopping throughout the trip for various video shots, including drone shots. I try to minimize delay time, but I purposefully made this a longer trip to ensure appropriate time to film.

Day 1 | Climb into the high country
Camp: dispersed camping near Kachina Villeage

Mileage: 30-40
Day 1 we'll climb up into the Sedona Highlands, taking in the incredible views along the way. This should be a relatively easy day.
  • Stop and maybe climb up the Merry Go round rock (DP1)
  • Schneebly Hill Overlook

Day 2 | Head to the rim/Sedona overlook
Camp: somewhere along the rim ideally, near edge of the world

Mileage: 40 mi
Day 2 we'll be hitting the rim that separates the Sedona highlands from the red rock basin below.
  • Refuel for anyone without long range auxiliary tanks
  • Visit Fernow Cabin (only if it's vacant)
  • East Buzzard Point
  • East Pocket Lookout Tower
  • Visit edge of the world

Day 3 | Continue along the rim
Camp: Bunker Hill area or Secret Mountain trailhead

Mileage: 30-40 mi
Day 3 we'll continue exploring along the rim taking in the views.
  • Rattlesnake Mesa
  • Turkey Butte Lookout
  • Bunker Hill
  • Hike the Secret Mountain trail to Secret Mountain Vista (2.5 - 3mi round trip)

Day 4 | Continue along the rim
Camp: Lake Pocket or Sycamore Point
Mileage: 60-65
Day 4: We'll continue for our final day exploring along the rim
  • Hike to Sycamore Falls (.5 mi)
  • Visit Sunflower Flat wildlife area
  • Whitehorse Lake (lunch?)
  • Sycamore Point
  • Lake Pocket Viewpoint

Day 5 | Onto Jerome Ghost Town
Camp: Camp near Robber's Roost
Mileage: 80
Day 5: We'll begin our descent down into the red rock basin.
  • Perkinsville Bridge
  • Jerome ghost town (quick visit, not doing the paid tour)
  • Tuzigoot Ancient Pueblo
  • Hike to Robber's Roost Hideout Cave ( < .5 mi)

Day 6 | Explore the rugged trails of Red Rock country and the Sedona Basin
Camp: Schneebly Hill or Robber's roost area. tbd

Mileage: 30 mile to the end of trail + additional mileage to get to camp (approx 10 to schneebly or Robber's Roost)
Day 5: Explore the rugged trails of the Sedona Basin and various heritage sites.
  • Visit Honanki Heritage Site
  • Visit Palatki Heritage Site
  • Hike to Fay Canyon arch (1.5 mi, if we have time!)
  • Dry Creek Vista
  • Cry Creek Road (moderate trail)
  • Visit Seven Sacred Pools (if we have time)
  • If we wrap up early, opportunities to explore trails like Broken Arrow

Day 7 | Drive Home
Camp: n/a

Last edited:

rlamisha-7859

Trail Grom
For those of us joining you any camping recommendations for the 16-17?

Also I notice the rendezvous is in Sedona and then up to near Katchina Any chance of meeting at the gas station waypoint off Katchina Blvd and Hwy 17 in Katchina Village as I will likely be camping near there or at a motel in Flagstaff as it is much less expensive then motels near Sedona.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
For those of us joining you any camping recommendations for the 16-17?

Also I notice the rendezvous is in Sedona and then up to near Katchina Any chance of meeting at the gas station waypoint off Katchina Blvd and Hwy 17 in Katchina Village as I will likely be camping near there or at a motel in Flagstaff as it is much less expensive then motels near Sedona.

Dispersed camping is largely prohibited in the lowlands around Sedona, but you should be able to find a spot if you make the drive up Schneebly hill, which is the first leg of our route. There's also some spots over the the Robber's Roost hideout cave.

Jigs Rig

Trail Grom
Hi Ben…so sorry for the last minute cancel but we got some unexpected news today on my wife’s 6 month check up and she’ll need to have a few more tests over the next week. Sorry for the short notice be safe out there. Sean

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey folks, we’re going to push the meetup time to 10am. We’ve got a few folks on the Mogolllon Trip (myself included) who need to resupply before we hit the trail.