Staff member
Admin
***You must have a reservation in order to join this event***

Trip duration 10 days
GPX File:
temporary download link

Trail Boss (your trip leader): Ron @ronaldre-697

Meeting Location
February 16th 9:30 am @ parking lot California Supermarket Casa De Cambio, 45 E 6th St, Calexico, CA 92231
California Supermarket Casa De Cambio

Currency Exchange
On this street there will be many currency exchange houses. It is highly recommended exchanging US dollars to pesos to pay for tacos and beach access camps, etc. We recommend that a single person exchange $300-400 USD to Pesos. You should be able to use debit/credit cards at most gas stations.

Documents
  • US Passport
  • Driver's license
  • Mexican Auto insurance policy -- required to drive your vehicle into Mexico. https://www.bajabound.com/
  • Tourist Card (FMM) is also required for short term travel through Mexico. https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa
    • The FMM can be purchased at the border. It's usually a 15-20 minute process to obtain as long as all of your other paperwork is in order (passport, Mexican auto insurance)

Firearms
Leave all firearms at home. There is no second amendment in Mexico, and US citizens are not permitted to bring firearms across the border.

If you carry your firearm(s) in your vehicle when camping/overlanding, we recommend doing a quick check to ensure all firearms and ammunition have been removed from your vehicle. Last thing you want is an extended delay at the border!

Pets
Bring the latest vaccination card and rabies certificate. Proof of ownership is also recommended.
There are many dogs running freely in most Mexican cities/towns/pueblos. We recommend keeping your dog in your vehicle when in town.

Fuel & Gear
When in Baja MUST carry at least an extra 5 gallons of fuel. Plan on traveling 200 plus miles between fuel stops. You can use your debit/CC at most gas stations. If you have a diesel (like I do), you may want to carry extra fuel as some gas stations may not have ultra-low sulphur diesel. More info on diesel in Baja can be found HERE.

Medical Info / Emergency Contact
Please print a copy of pertinent medical info and emergency contact info (at least two persons) on a card/piece of paper, and have this attached to your visor.

Comms: GMRS channel 5
Firewood: Can be purchased in Baja and once we get out to the desert segment #3 There will be an opportunity to gather some firewood.
Water Toys: Bring all water toys. Paddleboards, kayaks, floaties, snorkels, fishing gear,etc.
Medication: As a precaution, bring medicine for diarrhea and upset stomach. And of course, bring plenty of sunscreen!

Itinerary
This is the proposed itinerary, which you can use when submitting your FMM application. This is currently a work in progress, and it's possible we may modify the itinerary depending on the dynamics of the group and the event.

Day 1 / Feb 16
Total Miles: 233 miles
Camp: Playa Punta Final

Cross the border through Mexicali, drive 125 miles south on highway 5 to San Felipe Malecón for lunch and fuel. There will be all kinds of seafood restaurants ( fish and birria tacos) to choose from. Once lunch is over and gas tanks are full, continue on highway 5 for 108 miles south to the first Camp Playa Punta Final.
Cruising along the Gulf side of baja turquoise waters is amazing.

Day 2 / Feb 17
Total Miles: 112 miles
Camp: Playa SoLA

Continue south on Highway 5 to Bahia de Los Angeles. In Bahia de los Angeles there is a good fish taco spot and a good seafood restaurant. Before heading out to camp, (Optional) If Bahia de LA doesn't have strong winds, Campo Archelon is a good campground. This is a paid camp. It has a cafe restaurant, palapas, running showers, and flushing toilets. Rigs can be parked right by the water. There is also Playa Gringa dispersed camping.

Day 3 / Feb 18
Total Miles: 80 miles
Camp: Puerto San Francisquito

Hit the dirt desert road and take the first part of segment #3 OTG route from Bahía de Los Angeles to Puerto San Francisquito. This is a remote private paid beach cove with showers and flushing toilets. Very remote and secluded. Great place with calm waters to paddleboard, kayak, great fishing from the rocks along the cove. With some luck fish for dinner. (optional) possibly spend another night at this place. It will need to be discussed.

Day 4 / Feb 19
Total Miles: 80 miles dirt, 135 paved. 215 total miles.
Camp: Playa Requeson

Continue on the dirt desert road segment #3 for 80 miles to highway 1. Air up before hitting the highway pavement also stop at a gas station before continuing east to Mulegé. There will be a quick stop at the Mulegé Brewing company to grab some IPA beers to go. If time permits, go up to the vista point next to the Misión Santa Rosalía de Mulegé, where the beauty of the entire Mulegé oasis can be appreciated from above. Good place to snap pictures and fly drones. From Mulegé drive to Playa Requeson to camp.

Day 5 / Feb 20
Continue to relax one more day in Playa Requeson. (recommended)

Day 6 / Feb 21
Total Miles: 89 miles
Camp: San Juanico, Scorpion Bay Cantina and Campground.

Make one last push west to the pacific side before starting to head back towards the US border. Leave Playa Requeson south and turn west on the Federal Highway 1 and take OTG route segment # 4 towards the pacific side through the mountain. On the way there will be multiple towns with a lot to explore. Optional detour 22 (44 both ways) miles to San Miguel de Comundú. After La Purisima, there will be an 18 miles dirt road and two water crossings to get to San Juanico Scorpion Bay Cantina and Campground. Final south destination.

Day 7 / Feb 22
Total Miles: 105 miles
Camp:
Option #1 Paraiso Misional (350$ pesos) $18 per night

https://www.instagram.com/paraisomi...eb_button_share_sheet&igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Option #2 Camping and Ecotours Los Patetes. Also paid camp.

Leave San Juanico Scorpion Bay and drive north through the desert to the town of San Ignacio near highway 1.

San Ignacio is a town full of color and history. The typical Mexican pueblo with a Time Square surrounded by shops and restaurants. Main attraction is the Misión de San Ignacio Kadakaamán. Good place to snap a picture with the rigs.

Day 8 / Feb 23
Total Miles: 236 paved miles
Camp: Cataviña, Cactus Wonderland.

Leave San Ignacio, take highway 1 north and make a big push towards the border to the town of Cataviña, a Dr Suess like landscape in El Valle de Los Cirios. This area is littered with campgrounds with amazing rock formations and cactuses to explore. The Painted Caves (Petroglyph) are also close to the campgrounds. Amazing sunsets too.

Day 9 / Feb 24
Total Miles: 200+
Camp: tbd
Drive from Cataviña back to San Felipe via paved highways. The group may camp in the vicinity of San Felipe or potentially head further north to camp at the southern end of Laguna Salada.

Day 10 / Feb 25
Total Miles:
Camp: camp near the border and head home in the morning.

Recommended Packing List
This does not include your normal camping items such as sleeping bags, fridge, etc.
  • Sunscreen
  • Medicine for diarrhea/stomach/intestinal issues
  • Plenty of wag bags (we won't bury human waste in high traffic areas)
  • At least 3 days supply of water (1.5 gal per person / day)
  • Extra cooking fuel (propane/butane)
  • First aid kit
  • Flip flops
  • Hiking shoes
  • Sunglasses
  • Warm Jacket/clothes (yes we expect mild-warmer temps, but it can occasionally get cold (sub-freezing), especially in the mountains)
  • rain jacket/poncho
  • A good hat
  • Swim trunks / shorts
  • Beach towel
  • Plenty of water
  • Dry ice (for anyone using a cooler, you're going to need it!)

Last edited:

LCHeritage

Trail Grom
Hello, I’m on the waitlist - I’ll wait to buy the Mexican insurance until I’m confirmed on the trip list. Sound good?
Thanks!

camtnbiker

Staff member
In the FMM visa page which Point of Entry will we be using?
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 8.06.58 PM.png

Grey4R

Trail Grom
I recommend to get the FMM at the border. Even if done online you will still have to get it stamped at the border immigration office. If you get it online don't forget to bring the printed copy of the FMM and the receipt, otherwise they will not accept it and they will charge you again.

Last edited:

ronaldre-697

Trail Grom
I recommend to get the FMM at the border. Even if done online you will still have to get it stamped at the border immigration office. If you get it online don't forget to bring the printed copy of the FMM and the receipt, otherwise they will not accept it and they will charge you again.
The way you are suggesting is the way I have done it.

Keith_PDX

Trail Grom
If anyone has a change of heart and can't attend, send me a note. We missed the reservations and the wait list is also sold out.

kereams at the old yahoo dot com

Cheers!
Keith

camtnbiker

Staff member
Where are people travelling from? Where do you all plan on staying Thursday night?

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
If anyone has a change of heart and can't attend, send me a note. We missed the reservations and the wait list is also sold out.

kereams at the old yahoo dot com

Cheers!
Keith

That may be a possibility! Everyone who is on the waiting list so far has said they can't make it on short notice. I'll shoot you an email later today in case the rest of the WL is exhausted and no takers.

Keith_PDX

Trail Grom
That may be a possibility! Everyone who is on the waiting list so far has said they can't make it on short notice. I'll shoot you an email later today in case the rest of the WL is exhausted and no takers.
I replied to your email. Thanks for reaching out! Look forward to chatting.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Just added some quick updates to the original thread regarding the FMM (can be easily purchased at the border as long as your paperwork is in order).

Keith_PDX

Trail Grom
Do you guys have any recent local information/data from others currently in Baja? Looks like the recent flooding and storms could potentially impact routes? San Diego looks tragic. I know after Hilary some of the off road tour operators found their routes in Baja impassable..

ronaldre-697

Trail Grom
Hi Everybody,

I am Ronald and will be leading the Baja trip. As the clock is running down and the time is almost here. I am looking forward to meeting you all on what should be an epic Baja Overlanding trip. I will be leaving from San Francisco on Thursday the 15th between 5:00 - 6:00 am. If anybody has any questions or needs information please let me know. The trip route GPX file should be posted in the next couple of days. Otherwise I will see you all on Friday the 16th at the meet spot.

Thanks,

Ronald Rengifo.