overland

Expedicion Baja: Feb 16-25 2024

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey @ronaldre-697

Given the size of the group, I think you recommended that folks try to get their FMM in advance of visiting the border, right? While it sounds like it's a quick process, the group is around 8 rigs (+ passengers), so the quicker you guys can get through the border, the faster you'll be heading to the beaches of Baja ;)

ronaldre-697

Trail Grom
Hey @ronaldre-697

Given the size of the group, I think you recommended that folks try to get their FMM in advance of visiting the border, right? While it sounds like it's a quick process, the group is around 8 rigs (+ passengers), so the quicker you guys can get through the border, the faster you'll be heading to the beaches of Baja ;)
Absolutely. That way we can just drive through quickly and get on with our first day drive.

ronaldre-697

Trail Grom
Absolutely. That way we can just drive through quickly and get on with our first day drive.
Sorry, I want to clarify and correct my statement. Even if people get their online FMM, we do have to stop at the border to get it stamped to be valid. So, regardless, we do have to stop at the border and deal with it. This information comes from Baja Bound representative Angela, with whom I spoke.

Last edited:

Jkbeachum

Trail Grom
Is anyone going to try to bring over any food items or crossing with a empty cooler

ronaldre-697

Trail Grom
Is anyone going to try to bring over any food items or crossing with a empty cooler
Jonathan, going into Mexico, we never had a problem bringing food. I normally bring my cooler full of food, meats, vegetables, drinks, beers, etc. But we should avoid bringing fruits, vegetables, and other similar foods back into the USA. The border agent will ask if you are bringing foods like that. If you are, they will have you go through another area where they will check more thoroughly, which will make the border crossing take longer.

camtnbiker

Staff member
Dean and I will be leaving the Bay Area Thursday Feb 15th about 7.30 AM. We look forward to meeting everybody.

Tscotr_g-4301

Trail Grom
Hola everyone - I'm a solo, leaving Santa Cruz Thursday sometime or another, spending a crash & dash night out in the dirt around Ocotillo SVRA off Hwy78, then see ya Friday morning. Scot.

Jkbeachum

Trail Grom
Hola everyone - I'm a solo, leaving Santa Cruz Thursday sometime or another, spending a crash & dash night out in the dirt around Ocotillo SVRA off Hwy78, then see ya Friday morning. Scot.
I might join you, haven't decided if I'm staying the night with family in Mission Viejo, longer morning drive

Tscotr_g-4301

Trail Grom
I might join you, haven't decided if I'm staying the night with family in Mission Viejo, longer morning drive
Same here, I have family / friends in SoCal, too long to drive Friday and I prefer dirt to driveway. I'll commit to being around Hidden Valley Campground, puts us about an hour out of Calexico, anyone welcome to join for the night.

camtnbiker

Staff member
I just finished the FMM process on line. For some reason I could not get English and my Spanish is non existent. U will also need an account on the INM ( Mexican immigration site) to pay for the FMM. It was 717 pesos. Best of Luck, it was quite frustrating doing this in Spanish.

ronaldre-697

Trail Grom
Everybody,

The GPX file will be uploaded soon. I want to give everybody a heads-up about gas. If your rig has special fuel requirements like premium-only gas, diesel, or ultra-low Sulphur diesel. Please check all the gas stations along the proposed route to make sure you are able to refuel. Also, we will do a radio call every time a gas station is coming up for people to top off their gas tanks. As a back up just in case bring fuel octane boosters.

Never pass an opportunity to top off your gas tank.

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Crazy week over here between my wife and my son's birthday. I'm helping Ron with the GPX file and it'll be posted tomorrow before any Super Bowl libations.

Grey4R

Trail Grom
Mexico laws prohibit the imports of meats (pork and chicken), nuts and seeds, flour, some cheese and dairy products (even refrigerated) and any kinds of fruits. It’s just for their own agricultural protection. Last trip in December the border officer asked us to discard the beef steaks also. It really depends on luck and what you declared. There is a Costco in Mexicali where you can get almost anything you get in US … at lower prices 😉

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom
Mexico laws prohibit the imports of meats (pork and chicken), nuts and seeds, flour, some cheese and dairy products (even refrigerated) and any kinds of fruits. It’s just for their own agricultural protection. Last trip in December the border officer asked us to discard the beef steaks also. It really depends on luck and what you declared. There is a Costco in Mexicali where you can get almost anything you get in US … at lower prices 😉
Then, are you suggesting crossing with an empty cooler?