overland

Recent content by Brian.Whitaker

1. B

Recommendation for mod shop in Silicon Valley?

I found Rob at SWAT customs in Fremont - his shop will do my lift and lights. If goes well I’ll have him do bumper and winch.
  2. B

Did my first 4x4 trip with my sister (nicely prepared Wrangler), to the Mammoth Lakes area. Started in nearby Glass mountains then the area north of Mammoth. Undercarriage protection was helpful; need a lift kit. No damage to bumpers. GMRS worked OK but unimpressive - I think sister needs to...
  3. B

@Mutt Wagon -- work here has been slow. I got my Gobi rack and ladder installed on my own, and I paid the dealer to install all the factory under-carriage protection. I have boxes of rock slider bars and a few more protection plates from Chief which I think I will pick away at as well. The bit...
  4. B

Thanks, and not too late. I’ve got the skid plates and Gobi rack/ladder and ham radio all done but bumpers and rails are next. I might drive out if I can’t find someone here.
  5. B

Two-way radio comms -- GMRS and amateur (ham)

() bouncing signals off ionosphere for close contacts means frequencies like 2, 4 or 7MHz, and horizontal antennas longer than a trucker’s CB antenna if possible. In addition, you can’t run FM down there (well, blasphemous to do it); need SSB. () APRS is very convenient in a group and in...
  6. B

@offroadkid — GMRS license and decent equipment will solve many problems for overlanding and EmComm. 50W, repeaters, big antennas… amateur allows tremendous options, depending on your license class (experience, study). Start with a license, a Midland MXT400 or similar quality mobile rig, mag-top...
  7. B

I created a coverage map from the best (maybe only) amateur repeater with any coverage of the area. Looks like we could probably hit that repeater from up on a ridge, but hopeless, obviously, if on the western slope of any ridge. This suggests a sponsored site to host a GMRS repeater could...
  8. B

OTG folks -- Although I'm just getting into overlanding and appreciate the info shared here, I am an experienced radio operator and support EmComm for my community. As I didn't see many references to radio comms on the site so far, I figured I'd start a thread and try to strike up some...
  9. B

Ben -- congrats on starting a business here; I hope your subscriber base continues to grow! OTG folks -- I've got a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee ("WK2") diesel, which I've just started to work on. Gobi rack is on order; 50AH LiFePO4 aux battery is in (under drivers seat); Yaesu FT8900 FM...
  10. B

Lost Coast Trip Report June 14th-17th

CAchief -- thanks for spending the time to do the write-up! My g/f and I are planning a trip now for early April, using Ben's route as a guide. I'll be prepared to drive past Tolkan :)