overland

Baja Divide 4x4 Status?

ccpbac_y-8211

Trail Grom
Heading out for two weeks on Cinco De Mayo. Has anyone recently completed the Baja Divide in their 4x4 rig? I would love to gather some intel before departure.

Last edited:

fairbro_-1845

Trail Grom
I'm curious if anyone has completed this route recently? I'm being told by many on the Talk Baja Road Conditions group that it's not doable in a 4x4.

Luinil

Weekend Warrior
We have been on parts of the route as we explored the peninsula. From Bahia de LosAngles south back to MX1, Ciudad Constitution to San Evaristo and down to La Paz, plus Mission San Francisco de Borja to Bahia de LosAngles. Road conditions were good for Baja. No telling what they are like now.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
I'm curious if anyone has completed this route recently? I'm being told by many on the Talk Baja Road Conditions group that it's not doable in a 4x4.

The challenge with the Baja Divide track is that it's incredibly variable (from weather), especially when you consider most of if travels through very rural areas on dirt roads/trails. When you have a washout or other trail damage, it's often up to a local to bring out their heavy equipment to fix it. Most of it should be driveable, but I'd highly recommend carrying extra fuel in case you run into an issue and need to backtrack Gates and fences are also becoming more and more of an issue in Baja as the trail traffic picks up, so that could potentially turn you around as well.

Over 95% of the Baja Divide 4x4 track follows the Baja Divide, a well known and popular bikepacking route. If you're looking for updated conditions, that's the crowd you probably want to tap into-- but they may not give you the most accurate assessments of what is drivable in a 4x4.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Heading out for two weeks on Cinco De Mayo. Has anyone recently completed the Baja Divide in their 4x4 rig? I would love to gather some intel before departure.

It would be great to hear what your experience was, and which parts you travelled.

Thanks!!