overland

Engineer Pass and Imogene Pass Difficulty

kevinkem-3607

Trail Grom
It's been a while but I've done most of the trails in the Ouray, Silverton, Telluride area. The only trail I think I haven't done is Black Bear Pass. When I look at ratings for Engineer Pass and Imogene Pass I keep seeing reviews that say it's difficult and you need a pretty aggressive vehicle to do them. I've done those and more in a stock 97 Ford Explorer. Unless the roads have gotten much worse in the last twenty years, I can't believe they are that hard. I was in the area about 12 years ago and even did Poughkeepsie Gulch in a lightly built up YJ Wrangler. The other trails were a piece of cake.

So I'm heading there in a couple days and I'm taking a 2 door JL Wrangler that is completely stock. I'd like some input from someone that has done Imogene and Engineer Pass lately and knows if these are doable in stock Wrangler. Thanks!

TroyR

Trail Grom
You should be fine. It's been a year since we've done those particular trails but they were not technically challenging. Like most trails in the San Juans it's all about the views. As long as you don't mind shelf roads your Jeep should be plenty capable. You wouldn't have any problems on Black Bear either.

Mineral Creek is a bit more difficult than it used to be but still very doable in a stock JL.

kevinkem-3607

Trail Grom
We just got back from our trip to Colorado. It was spectacular of course. We drove Corkscrew Gulch over to Animas Forks and then up to Engineer Pass and back to Animas Forks. From there we went back to Ouray via Silverton. We also visited the Red Mountain Mining District a couple days later. It did rain every day in the afternoon as expected. Since we were camped at the Amphitheater Campground at Ouray, we hiked the Chief Ouray Train and the Parameter Trail. Both will provide plenty of exercise!

I did make a video of the trip if you'd like to see it. It's at

Cheers,
Kevin

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWjuM422tr9Ur4UyPQIjGDQ

TroyR

Trail Grom
We just got back from our trip to Colorado. It was spectacular of course. We drove Corkscrew Gulch over to Animas Forks and then up to Engineer Pass and back to Animas Forks. From there we went back to Ouray via Silverton. We also visited the Red Mountain Mining District a couple days later. It did rain every day in the afternoon as expected. Since we were camped at the Amphitheater Campground at Ouray, we hiked the Chief Ouray Train and the Parameter Trail. Both will provide plenty of exercise!

I did make a video of the trip if you'd like to see it. It's at

Cheers,
Kevin

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWjuM422tr9Ur4UyPQIjGDQ
Nicely done!