overland

Gold Butte Adventure Route: Nov 18-22

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Event Info

Check out the interactive Google Map for the route (missing a couple tracks like Falling Man Trail and Whitney Pass Road)

We'll be doing a portion (as much as we can!) of the 380 mi Gold Butte Adventure Route. I expect we'll end up cutting things short and exiting north to the interstate (likely cutting back via Whitney Pass Road), somewhere between Mesquite and St George.
Gold Butte Adventure Route guide

Meeting Location: Meet at 9:30 am Saturday @ Starbucks parking lot in Henderson
835 E Lake Mead Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89015
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HWddnRt7Fs5xmuGf9

Event Ends: Wednesday morning, head home

Fees: We'll need to pay entrance fees ($25) to both Lake Mead NRA and Valley of Fire SP ($15).

Comms: GMRS channel 5: freq 462.6625

Ben's Contact Info: Cell: 415-305-4299
Ben's Zoleo (satellite communicator when out of cell range): 315-909-6500

Firewood: You never know what you'll get in the desert, but plan for cold nights as a precaution. Please bring firewood if you can. Opportunities to forage/gather firewood will likely be limited.

Terrain: Sandy washes, lots of dirt roads, and some rockier tracks. You can check out some of the terrain from fellow OTG members who explored gold butte earlier this year. Youtube Vid

Vehicle + Fuel Requirements:
  • 4x4 with 4-low gearing (no AWD vehicles)
  • Aftermarket off road tires (AT, MT, RT) and a full size spare
  • Aftermarket lift recommended, but not required
Recommended Gear: Days can be cool to warm, but expect cold, and even possibly sub-freezing temps at night. Dress accordingly!

Friday Night Camping: Some of us are planning to camp on I-15 near Mojave NP and hit the road super early to the meetup location. Location TBD.

Carry Extra Fuel: If you can, we recommend carrying an extra 5 gallons of fuel. Plan on traveling up to 225 miles between fuel stops.

Where Can I find Cheap Fuel?

Costco
3411 St Rose Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89052

==============================================================================

Itinerary
Take this with a grain of salt, but here's the plan:

Day 1
Total Mileage: 60-70 (about have is paved)
Camp: Buffington Pockets

Head out from the meeting spot and hit Bittersprings Byway. Some of the things we'll visit along the way:
  • Anniversary Narrows Slot Canyon hike (about 1-1.25 miles total)
  • Explore Colorock Quarry
  • Explore Buffington Pockets
  • Owl Dam at Buffington Pockets

Day 2
Total Mileage: 60-70 (40+ paved)
Camp: Fire Pit at Red Rock in Logandale trails (or vicinity)

The highlight of day 2 is Valley of Fire SP and the Logandale trail system just north of the park. VoF is pretty much all paved, while Logandale is all dirt.
  • Quick stop at the Beehives
  • Atlotl Rock + petroglyphs (short hike < .25mi)
  • Fire Wave + Pastel Canyon Hike (1.5-2mi mile hike)
  • Visit poverty flats + snowbird mesa??? (drive out to the badlands point)
  • Logandale pictographs (short hike < .25mi)

Day 3
Total Mileage: 70 (25+ paved)
Camp:Little Finland

We head into Gold Butte National Monument.
  • Refuel in Overton
  • Explore Whitney Pockets
  • Falling Man pictograph trail (1.25 mi)
  • Devil's Throat
  • Mud Wash Dunes??? (.5 miles)
  • Secure camp at Little Finland
  • Seven Keyholes Slot Canyon Hike (option to hit morning of day 4)

Day 4
Total Mileage: 60-100 (100% dirt, depends which trails we take to get back to Whitney Pockets and what we explore)
Camp: Whitney Pockets

We head into Gold Butte National Monument.
  • Visit Gold Butte town site
  • Tassi Ranch (probably won't make it this far)
  • Cut back across Whitney Pass road and backtrack to Interstate 15 (come out near Mesquite)

Day 5
Burn Gold Butte Road (wide graded dirt road) to Interstate 15 and head home!

Last edited:

JHunter

Staff member
Can't wait! Thanks for all the helpful info Ben!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
For folks coming from Norcal, what do you think about trying to camp somewhere near/around Mojave NP? We could use last year's camp off of Rasor Road west of Baker: 35.127526, -116.154100

I'm planning to hit the road by 1pm, so hopefully I'll be down there before 10pm, but will likely depend on how fast I make my way through Bay Area traffic.

This puts us out approx 130 miles from the meetup location at Northshore Road Overlook, which google says will be 2-2.5 hour drive on a Saturday Morning. We have to loop north up to Las Vegas to avoid the $25 fee station for Lake Mead NRA (hwy 564). If anyone knows any other options further east, I'm totally open to it. Was looking at returning to Cima Road, but it's currently closed.

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
For folks coming from Norcal, what do you think about trying to camp somewhere near/around Mojave NP? We could use last year's camp off of Rasor Road west of Baker: 35.127526, -116.154100

I'm planning to hit the road by 1pm, so hopefully I'll be down there before 10pm, but will likely depend on how fast I make my way through Bay Area traffic.

This puts us out approx 130 miles from the meetup location at Northshore Road Overlook, which google says will be 2-2.5 hour drive on a Saturday Morning. We have to loop north up to Las Vegas to avoid the $25 fee station for Lake Mead NRA (hwy 564). If anyone knows any other options further east, I'm totally open to it. Was looking at returning to Cima Road, but it's currently closed.
This sounds great, we should be leaving the Sacramento area around 3pm. I believe Andreas stayed near Cima road the last time we did (or tried to do) an informal OTG meet-up. The famous snow in the desert photo/trip. I think is was at the place we had lunch on the last full day of the EMHT trip. I also believe the road is closed. Last time we were on Cima, biologist were out conducting veg surveys in preparation for some massive road construction. I will do some digging but I'm good with the same rasor road spot. Also, I have a NP pass that I think will get our rig through the NRA pass station.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
We are likely to get a hotel in the Vegas area for the night, but I did look on iOverlander and there do appear to be some spots not too far off the freeway nearer toward Vegas that might work.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
This sounds great, we should be leaving the Sacramento area around 3pm. I believe Andreas stayed near Cima road the last time we did (or tried to do) an informal OTG meet-up. The famous snow in the desert photo/trip. I think is was at the place we had lunch on the last full day of the EMHT trip. I also believe the road is closed. Last time we were on Cima, biologist were out conducting veg surveys in preparation for some massive road construction. I will do some digging but I'm good with the same rasor road spot. Also, I have a NP pass that I think will get our rig through the NRA pass station.

Correct, Cima road is closed again, which is why I was looking at Rasor Road as it's easy to find, tons of places to camp, and already familiar with the area. This will likely end up being camp for Friday night. It's also a bit further west, so you can hopefully roll into camp 30-45 minutes "earlier". Of course, means we'll need to hit the road early to make it to the meet up location in LV.

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
We'll be there with the whole family, dog included. We're bringing the new rig, too. I don't think I'll have the new suspension installed (or even received) by trip time, but we'll muddle through. We haven't decided whether we can get out Friday and be at the meetup on Saturday morning or whether we're leaving the Bay Area Saturday morning and meet you late on Saturday night somewhere. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again!

schultzp-8939

Weekend Warrior
By the way, when we rolled through the area in July, Terrible Ivan's Fuel stop just outside Las Vegas (on the Vegas-bound side) had incredibly good fuel prices. Even diesel! I was tempted to fill every coffee cup we had just to take advantage of it.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
We'll be there with the whole family, dog included. We're bringing the new rig, too. I don't think I'll have the new suspension installed (or even received) by trip time...

We are going to be in our new rig as well, and similarly we won't be fully setup and will be in a ground tent (unless a FWC falls from the sky and lands in the back of my truck during the next few days)

Run what you brung!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
By the way, when we rolled through the area in July, Terrible Ivan's Fuel stop just outside Las Vegas (on the Vegas-bound side) had incredibly good fuel prices. Even diesel! I was tempted to fill every coffee cup we had just to take advantage of it.
Well I think I know where I'll be topping off all 52 gallons of my tank!! Thanks for the info.

Rolandooltg

Trail Grom
Sorry Ben. Can’t make it this time. I hope you all have a great trip. 😥😥😥.
Rolando and Maritza

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Check out the updated meeting location + itinerary.
Sorry Ben. Can’t make it this time. I hope you all have a great trip. 😥😥😥.
Rolando and Maritza

Any plans to head to Baja this fall/winter/spring

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom
Hi, Ben and all of you guys. All looks good to me for this run. I plan to leave Sacramento on Thursday morning and camp around Mono Lake. On Friday, I want to hit some trails from Mono Lake to Bishop through Inyo NF and continue to Las Vegas. If anyone wants to join, you are very welcome. The run can be from 60 to 90 miles, depending on where we decide to intersect HWY 6. From HWY 6 to Las Vegas, it is around 5 hours. There is a gas station at Mono Lake, Bishop, and HWY 6 on the way to Las Vegas.

See you soon, guys.

PS: This year is only me. No wife or kids.

Roberto

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 10.43.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-09 at 10.55.16 AM.png