overland

Gold Butte Adventure Route: Nov 18-22

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
I am down. Let me know.
Likewise! Also Roberto, I believe hwy 120 is closed between Benton Crossing and Mono mills. There is the CCT OTG seg1 route that traverses that direction through Inyo NF but could be inaccessible due to snow drifts. I might be in the area this weekend and can report back. I also know of some killer camp spots along that route that I can share. Unfortunately, I have to work until the Friday afternoon of our trip so I cannot join you earlier and will join the norcal group camping Friday night.

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_184617_921.jpg
    IMG_20211116_184617_921.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Mad_Science

Trail Grom
I just saw an email from OTG that there are a couple spots left on this trip? But also see the first post saying it's full...so...dunno?

I'd love to join if possible. The requested info:

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Excursion on 35" MTs with rear locker, winch, etc.

Who: Myself, wife, 2 kids (11&13), plus dog

From where: Leaving from Bay Area on Friday (might try to join that other NorCal crew) or do something crazy like leave at midnight to get to Henderson in the morning.

If not no worries.
--Tim

1699559864309.png

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Tim @Mad_Science ,

Yes, we still have room and would be awesome to have some new faces join us. We've got quite the crew that goes out every November, all really good folks! Let me know if you have any questions about the trip. I'll be sending the gpx file out to everyone over the weekend.

cedillor-3976

Trail Grom
Likewise! Also Roberto, I believe hwy 120 is closed between Benton Crossing and Mono mills. There is the CCT OTG seg1 route that traverses that direction through Inyo NF but could be inaccessible due to snow drifts. I might be in the area this weekend and can report back. I also know of some killer camp spots along that route that I can share. Unfortunately, I have to work until the Friday afternoon of our trip so I cannot join you earlier and will join the norcal group camping Friday night.
Hi Mike. I just saw hwy 120 is closed for the rest of the season (it wasn’t last week). What a bummer. Please let me know how does it look and figure out if it is worth the extra driving.

Mad_Science

Trail Grom
My current plan for Friday is to leave the Bay Area (Fremont) maybe hopefully kinda ahead of traffic by 4:00 and head to Owl Canyon CG just outside Barstow.

It's nothing special, but there's water and toilets and it's 2.5 hours from there to the meetup in Henderson.

Reality of Friday is we probably won't beat traffic and will get into Owl Canyon at like 1am or something. If you're there apologies in advance for the diesel exhaust noise.

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
My current plan for Friday is to leave the Bay Area (Fremont) maybe hopefully kinda ahead of traffic by 4:00 and head to Owl Canyon CG just outside Barstow.

It's nothing special, but there's water and toilets and it's 2.5 hours from there to the meetup in Henderson.

Reality of Friday is we probably won't beat traffic and will get into Owl Canyon at like 1am or something. If you're there apologies in advance for the diesel exhaust noise.

Afton Canyon Campground sounds similar spot. Might not be quite as far off the freeway. https://maps.app.goo.gl/mRu9x67h3yBTSy3k6

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@Mad_Science @nckwltn

Not sure Afton would be ideal, given that it's next to a heavily used rail line that runs all through the night. I did find another location that's only a few miles down the interstate, less than 1 mi off the interstate, and tons of room for dispersed camping. This location right off of Basin Road-- any thoughts? I've highlighted some potential areas for camp that should shield us from highway noise.

35.095414, -116.266936

1699907659704.png

nckwltn

Weekend Warrior
@Mad_Science @nckwltn

Not sure Afton would be ideal, given that it's next to a heavily used rail line that runs all through the night. I did find another location that's only a few miles down the interstate, less than 1 mi off the interstate, and tons of room for dispersed camping. This location right off of Basin Road-- any thoughts? I've highlighted some potential areas for camp that should shield us from highway noise.

35.095414, -116.266936

Good point about the trail (although, I don't recall it waking me up... I lived in a train town in high school, so I might be more immune to train sounds while sleeping :)

Afton is also like $5-10 per night...

BBE_YOTA

Trail Grom
I put in some extra hours this week at work and will be departing the Sacramento area around noon tomorrow (Friday). This will allow us to travel a bit further if desired and avoid local traffic. Saw this place...

About an hour from the meeting location and has several spots and in a joshua tree landscape (though who cares when it gets dark at 4:30). However, I do like the fact that the rasor rd spot is tried and true having been there a couple times without issue but is 2 hrs from the meetup.

joeray

Trail Grom
Ben, did you create an album on Google Photos for this trip? I'd love to see all the pics! -- Joe

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Ben, did you create an album on Google Photos for this trip? I'd love to see all the pics! -- Joe

I'll post them in the near future in the trip reports section of the forum and on our FB group page. The photos you definitely want to see are from @JHunter