overland

Looking for collaborators: Lassen BDT / Trail Run / dates tbd

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
We have multiple folks who've expressed interest in leading a group along the Lassen BDT. If you're interested in collaborating with a fellow group member, please reply below with your availability, and any other info you'd like to provide.

We recommend running this event June - October, but be sure to check on snowpack if earlier in the year.

Last edited:

joeray

Trail Grom
Let's discuss the possibilities here. I'd like to do the Lassen BDT this summer. My plan is to drive the route south to north. From there, I'm planning to burn some pavement north to drive the Modoc BDT, exploring the Warner Mtns and ending at Goose Lake on the OR/CA border. I'm in Bend, so I'll drive home from there. The timing is going to have to be late enough to avoid the snow. I do not want to crash the trip due to snow. I expect a detour into Mt Shasta for fuel and food before starting the Modoc BDT. If my understanding is correct, both of these routes were developed by the FS back in the day. For those with limited time, you could bail out at the end of the Lassen segment and call it a day. Or join me for the other half. I don't believe either route has any technical terrain, so vehicles of all skill levels could probably join up. Me, I drive an early bronco and have two dogs tagging along. I also pitch a tent every night. Being single and retired, I prefer to travel mid week to avoid the weekend crowds, but I understand that other members might still be working and have limited time off. I would leave the actual dates (days of the week) to those people, since I can go any time. Chime in here if you are interested in co-hosting a trip with me!

This was from the Black Rock Desert last October.

black rock 23.jpg

Hangin' with the Jeeps at the High Rock Hilton. I'm on the right. We all had a great time!

IMG_9873.jpg

Last edited:

Ed Heston

Trail Grom
I would be interested in co-hosting this event with you. Like you I am retired as well, times are flexible. IMG_1167.jpeg

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys--

glad to see some action with this particular route, which I did this past October. If you're flexible on dates, I'd recommend doing this earlier in the season given the possibility of wildfire danger that definitely spikes come mid-summer. Honestly, Modoc and the warners may pose more of an issue with snow. I'd say in the next 3-4 weeks, we should have a good gauge of when the trails will be snow free. Lassen can be done by a stock 4x4 or event a sprinter 4x4. There are some bumpier parts near Black Rock, but nothing that is remotely technical. Modoc can be muddy, especially around fairchild swamp earlier in the season. Modoc and the Warners are on my short list of to dos. Everyone that I've spoken with that's done Modoc absolutely loves it.

If you end up doing Lassen, these are my camping recommendations:

- soldier meadows -- great camping area to start your adventure that's not far from the official start
- Black Rock campground-- if you can't find a site with enough room for the group, there are 3 larger dispersed spots up the mountain in this area --> 40.20791, -121.74452
- Brokeoff Meadows (absolutely spectacularly, especially if you can visit right after the snow has melted). If no availability at Brokeoff, the next canyon up (Blue Lake Canyon). As you drive deeper into the canyon there are a number of wide open areas great for groups to camp.
- Burney Mountain Area. This spot had protection from the winds and it was easy enough to go for a short walk out into the Lava fields with fantastic views of Burney Mountains --> 40.77494, -121.60818

Last edited:

joeray

Trail Grom
Wow, sorry guys for not getting back to you sooner! I missed the notification from OTG that someone replied to the thread. And Ben, thanks for your input. Hopefully, I was planning on starting the trip after the Mount Shasta Roundup, since I'd already be down that direction from Bend. The snow would probably recede equally well in both areas. I've been watching the snow map on Gaia.

Ed, love you rig! Thanks for reaching out, I think we could put together a great trip. I'll do my best to stay tuned to the channel. -- Joe

Last edited:

Ed Heston

Trail Grom
Wow, sorry guys for not getting back to you sooner! I never got a notification from OTG that someone replied to the thread. And Ben, thanks for your input. Hopefully, I was planning on starting the trip after the Mount Shasta Roundup, since I'd already be down that direction from Bend. The snow would probably recede equally well in both areas. I've been watching the snow map on Gaia.

Ed, love you rig! Thanks for reaching out, I think we could put together a great trip. I'll do my best to stay tuned to the channel. -- Joe
Joe, I think we should come up with hard dates so Ben can get it posted. I was tentatively planning on doing the Plumas BDT June 23-29, nothing in stone. Other than I’m wide open.

Shanduar

Trail Grom
I'm definitely up for teaming up on the Lassen BDT. I'm pretty flexible with my availability, but I lean towards late summer or early fall when the weather's more predictable.

joeray

Trail Grom
Joe, I think we should come up with hard dates so Ben can get it posted. I was tentatively planning on doing the Plumas BDT June 23-29, nothing in stone. Other than I’m wide open.
My preference is still to coordinate this with the Mount Shasta Roundup, but Ben has not set a date for that yet.

Ed Heston

Trail Grom
My preference is still to coordinate this with the Mount Shasta Roundup, but Ben has not set a date for that yet.
That’s all good. I’m not familiar with the Mount Shasta Roundup. Is it an OTG event?

joeray

Trail Grom
Yes, technically they call it a base camp event. He indicates it'll be in June, but not when in June, or exactly where the location will be.

Ed Heston

Trail Grom
Yes, technically they call it a base camp event. He indicates it'll be in June, but not when in June, or exactly where the location will be.
Well! I may meet you there. Thanks for the clarification.

joeray

Trail Grom
I'm definitely up for teaming up on the Lassen BDT. I'm pretty flexible with my availability, but I lean towards late summer or early fall when the weather's more predictable.
Welcome to the conversation! We'll see how the dates work out, but I'm not sure late summer would be a good idea. Northern California (or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest) is getting super fire prone these days, and the smoke is not something that any one would consider good weather. Stay tuned, we welcome your input. -- Joe