overland

Mendocino NF Trail Run: Dec 1-3 2023

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
OTG member Jonathan B. will be leading a group to explore the Mendocino NF, rain, snow, or shine! The Mendocino BDT will form the foundation of the route, but expect to break off and explore the surrounding areas, like the headwaters of the Eel River in the game reserve.

Meet up:
9 am (group leaves promptly at 9:30)
Chevron in Upper Lake, CA
775 CA-20, Upper Lake, CA 95485

Vehicle Requirements:
Stock 4x4 or AWD vehicle with all terrain tires

Prep:
Come prepared to spend two nights off the grid. Expect cold temps at night (can get below freezing) and brisk temps during the day (40s-50s). Expecte to travel 50-8- miles (primarily off road) each day. Please bring firewood if you have space!

Join us on the trail?
If you can't make it to the meetup location on Friday, but would like to join the group, please be sure to post a reply in the event thread and arrangements can be made to meet somewhere on the trail.

Jkbeachum

Trail Grom
To anyone joining the group on Saturday, we'll be meeting up at the airstrip by Pillsbury Lake, you can google "oak flat campground" it's adjacent the airfield. We'll be meeting there at 10:30am Saturday and heading out the M1 at 11.

Jelfonzo

Trail Grom
New guy here! Anyone planning to bring kids? My 11 year old is asking :) likely join up sat or late Fri (oak flat camp?)

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
To anyone joining the group on Saturday, we'll be meeting up at the airstrip by Pillsbury Lake, you can google "oak flat campground" it's adjacent the airfield. We'll be meeting there at 10:30am Saturday and heading out the M1 at 11.
Do you have a GPX file to share with the group? Also saw @Jelfonzo was asking about meeting up potentially on Friday night-- any ideas on camp for that night? I do know there's a group of most families staying out at Bear Creek Campground (sounds like the equestrian open camping area) that'll be looking for Xmas trees over the weekend.

Jkbeachum

Trail Grom
New guy here! Anyone planning to bring kids? My 11 year old is asking :) likely join up sat or late Fri (oak flat camp?)
Kids are welcome, there may be a few others. Camp location depends on availability, I have a few dispersed locations in mind, all close to the pillsburry lake area. GMRS CH15 if trying to locate the group Friday evening, otherwise I'd suggest camping at Oak Flat, that is my backup location as well.

Jkbeachum

Trail Grom
Do you have a GPX file to share with the group? Also saw @Jelfonzo was asking about meeting up potentially on Friday night-- any ideas on camp for that night? I do know there's a group of most families staying out at Bear Creek Campground (sounds like the equestrian open camping area) that'll be looking for Xmas trees over the weekend.
Mendocino BDT would suffice, we'll be taking some side roads depending on weather but that GPX file is close enough.