overland

Owyhee Canyonlands

My wife and I just got back from the Owyhee Canyonlands area. We didn't do the whole discovery route. It's just more driving than we are up to. Our first day of the trip we drove from Salt Lake City to Nampa ID and stayed at the Super8 Motel. They are friendly and allow dogs and the room served the purpose. The location however was awful. It's like being in the middle of a truck stop.

The next morning we headed to Owyhee. We headed straight for Sage Creek Trail just outside the Succor Creek State Natural Area. BTW, this trail and all of the others that we hiked, we discovered on Alltrails.com. We skipped the route north of there. Upon hiking into the Sage Creek I realized that this place was way cooler than I ever expected. After a couple hours of hiking, we headed to the Succor Creek campground and had lunch. We then hiked the Succor Creek Campground Trail. The trail takes you up to where you can look down into the canyon. It was amazing.

After our hike, we went in search of a place to camp. We found a spot just off the spur road that goes to Three Fingers Rock. We spent one night there. We passed on driving up to Three Fingers Rock. We packed up and continued on to Three Fingers Gulch. We hiked down from the river. Just as we got there a couple was just leaving. They were there to do base jumping. The hike down to the lake was a little difficult due to a dry fall which we had to go around. After the hike we continued on the route and camped just outside Leslie Gulch. The next day we hiked the Upper Leslie Gulch Trail and Juniper Creek Trail. Both were very cool. We also drove down to the lake to check it out.

We spent one more night in the same camp. When we arrived back at the camp, we found that a cattle roundup was going on. It provided plenty of entertainment for the evening.

The next morning we packed up and headed back to Salt Lake. I created a video travel log of our trip. Watching it makes me want to go back again.

Here is a link to the video on Youtube ...

Last edited: