***You must have a reservation in order to join this event***

March 20 - 24
Trip duration: 5 days/4 nights
GPX File:
Link to GPX

Meeting Location
March 20 9am, SeaQuake Brewing
400 Front St, Crescent City, CA

Please make sure you arrive with a full tank of fuel and all of the necessities required for the duration of the trip.

Documents/Fees
There will be fees related to camping.

Camping
You must have a reservation at Gold Bluffs Beach Campground for the night of March 20th. Reservations can be made at ReserveCalifornia.com . We'll also be staying at AW Way County Park (cash fee) and I'll need to figure out an option for a final night staying along the Mendocino Coast. But plan on bringing $40 cash for AW Way (recommend bring denominations of $5 as they have strange pricing).

Firearms
This is a family friendly event. We ask that you leave your firearm at home or keep it stowed away in your vehicle at all times. Please make sure you read up on CA State Parks and Redwood NP policy regarding firearms.

Pets
Well behaved dogs are allowed. Your dog will likely need to remain on a short leash (6') while in certain CA State Parks and Redwood NP, including campgrounds. Dogs are also not permitted on many of the trails we'll be visiting. I plan on leaving my pup in the car for hikes where dogs aren't permitted.

Gear & Fuel
Bring appropriate hiking/outdoor gear. This should include a rain jacket + rain pants, waterproof hiking boots, and a heavier jacket in case we hit colder temps.
If you've got a chainsaw, please bring one as we may encounter deadfall along some of the dirt backroads. I'll be bringing my 18"electric Ego chainsaw.

We'll have a few opportunities to refuel along the way, but I always recommend carrying an extra 5 gallons just in case.

Medical Info / Emergency Contact
Please print a copy of pertinent medical info and emergency contact info (at least two persons) on a card/piece of paper, and have this attached to your visor.

Comms: GMRS channel 15, freq 462.550
Firewood: please bring firewood if you can!

Itinerary

Day 1 | Smith River, Klamath River

Camp:Gold Bluffs Beach
Mileage: 100 miles (75%pavement)
Day 1 will be comprised almost entirely of paved roads.
  • Howland Hill Drive
  • Grove of Titans (1.5 mi hike, no dogs)
  • Forks of Smith (quick 5 min hike)
  • Klamath Rivermouth Viewpoint
  • Drive Newton Drury Scenic Parkway
  • Gold Bluffs Beach
Day 2 | Redwood NP & State Parks
Camp: Lacks Creek BLM dispersed camping
Mileage: 65

Day 2 will also be majority of pavement. We'll hit some dirt near Schoolhouse Peak all the way to Lacks Creek Campground.
  • Hike Fern Canyon (1 mile hike, no dogs-- bring water proof boots, too much water we'll skip Fern creek).
  • Visit Elk Prairie
    Visit Redwood NP Visitor Center (optional, we can see if the group wants to visit)
  • Hike Lady Bird Grove (1.25 miles, no dogs)
  • Visit Schoolhouse Peak (quick 5 min walk)
Day 3 | Kneeland & Mattole Road
Camp: AW Way County Park
Mileage: 150
Refuel in Rio Dell

We'll visit the incredibly scenic backroads of the Kneeland area and Mattole Road along the lost coast. Some of the paved roads around Kneeland are in very poor condition with lots of potholes. The first leg of day 3 is very windy and we'll likely be progressing slower than expected. We've got a lot of mileage to cover, so we may nix some of the planned activities within the itinerary.
  • Visit North Fork Timber Mill
  • Visit the Mad River
  • Kneeland area
  • Drive Mattole Road
  • Visit Mattole Beach
  • Visit Prosper Ridge viewpoint (if open)
  • Visit the truck-in-a-tree
Day 4 | Humboldt Redwoods, SoHum and Mendocino Coast
Camp: tbd, somewhere along the Mendocino Coast
Mileage: 160+

This is another big drive day, we should be moving at a decent clip. We'll drive through the incredibly scenic Mattole River Valley and through Bull Creek Flat Redwoods before jumping on the dirt backroads of southern Humboldt before eventually making our way to the coast.
  • Hike Bull Creek Flat redwoods (1 mi, no dogs)
  • Visit the Eel River + Dyerville Trestle
  • Drive Sherwood Road (we may skip and hit Hwy 20 if we're pressed for time)
  • Visit Noyo Harbor
  • Visit the village of Mendocino
  • Visit Big River Beach

Day 5 | Head home
Drive home.

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey folks, I'm going to be driving up from the Bay Area on Tuesday afternoon. I'll likely stay at Big Lagoon County Park about 1:10 south of Crescent City, but nee to make sure that Last Chance Grade (hwy 101 just south of Crescent City) doesn't have any traffic control (in the past, there were delays of up to 90 minutes). You're welcome to join assuming there aren't issues with Lance Chance Grade.

Camp for Final Night
I'm looking at MacKerricher State Park about 10 min north of Fort Bragg or Jug Handle Creek Farm (HipCamp) about 5 min south of Fort Bragg. MacKerricher should be first come first serve, but I'm unclear which campgrounds are currently open for March. I'm currently waiting on a call back. It looks like we may be able to fit 2-3 vehicles per site, and cost looks like it's $45. Another option is Jug Handle Creek Farm, which is a private farmstead and actually quite nice (I've stayed there before). Spots are $55 / site but only fit 2 vehicles per site. We'd probably want to jump on this option ASAP if we don't want to stay at MacKerricher.

Last edited:

GoofingOffRoad

Trail Grom
I'm looking forward to meeting you all on the trail in a couple of weeks.

Out of interest - what are you all using for your GMRS setup? Radios and antennas?

GoofingOffRoad

Trail Grom
Camp for Final Night
I'm looking at MacKerricher State Park about 10 min north of Fort Bragg or Jug Handle Creek Farm (HipCamp) about 5 min south of Fort Bragg.

Ben - were you able to pick which camp site we are staying at for the last night - so we can book it?

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Ben - were you able to pick which camp site we are staying at for the last night - so we can book it?

I'm going to pick this up when I get back from the desert in a couple of weeks. Currently, it's not possilble to book sites at MacKerricher due to some water issues that are getting worked on, but first come first serve is still possible. I'll see where things sit (are online reservations back up for MacKerricher) when I get back at the end of February.

As for GMRS, a simple handheld is fine. You can pick up a Beofeng UV5-R on amazon for around $25. Just make sure you buy the unit specific to GMRS frequencies.

syedianrefugio

Trail Grom
Currently on a waitlist. When should we expect word if there’s a spot so we can make the appropriate reservation for night 1? Thanks!

Last edited:

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Hey folks, we're just a couple of weeks away from this event! If you can, please bring firewood and a chainsaw. I will be bringing both, but always good to have extra firepower (or firewood) in these situations. I plan on staying at Big Lagoon County Park campground on Tuesday night, and likely rolling in sometime in the evening.

Regarding the last night, it looks like MacKerricher may not be a solid bet. With a broken water main, they're online system remains down so it's first come first serve. The person I spoke with said the campground is around 80% full on weekends, and he didn't sound too confident we'd be able to get 3 sites arriving on a Saturday. I'm currently researching our other options and hoping to have this resolved by Monday. It may entail a nominal fee from everyone to cover the site(s) depending what we end up with.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
For our final night, I'm thinking we play it by ear. Jughandle Creek Farm had a really nice group camp, but unfortunately it's booked. I've got a number of spots in/around the Mendocino Fort Bragg that I'll be adding to the GPX file. Just bring extra cash, as we may end up at a developed campground. Potential options for the final night include:

• MacKerricher State Park (if enough sites for our group)
  • Navarro River Beach (south of Albion near where Hwy 128 intersects Hwy 1)
  • Jackson Demo Forest-- I know some of the county roads that go through JDSF. Shouldn't be hard finding a camp.
  • Hwy 1 near Caspar -- there's a dead end road that literally sits over the Ocean.
  • Camp near Little River airport -- there's some areas up by the airport we can use as a last resort.

John Casson

Trail Grom
Looking forward to the trip. I will bring firewood and a chainsaw. As for communication Adam and have CB radios.

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
@John Casson We always use GMRS on our trail runs given the ease of accessibility for folks and how common they are. I'll have an extra handheld unit with me as well since those CBs won't help out much if you want to communicate with the group ;)

adam.gen-4672

Trail Grom
I ordered a pair of Midland GMRS handhelds for @Jon Casson and I so we’ll be set on comms. I’ll also bring firewood. Looking forward to the trip!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
The link for the GPX file has been added to the original post. Anyone else interested in camping at Big Lagoon county park in Humboldt County on Tuesday night? I'm hoping to head north from Marin between 1-2 pm on Tuesday.

John Casson

Trail Grom
The link for the GPX file has been added to the original post. Anyone else interested in camping at Big Lagoon county park in Humboldt County on Tuesday night? I'm hoping to head north from Marin between 1-2 pm on Tuesday.
Ben,

Adam and I are going to link up this evening. Big Lagoon sounds good. I will confirm soon. We plan on. Heading out from Danville around 2:00 on Tuesday.

GoofingOffRoad

Trail Grom
I'm hitting the road now - see you folks tomorrow morning in Crescent City! Looking forward to hitting the trails with y'all...