overland

Tahoe Backcountry Discovery Trail - Reverse Trip

dennis_c-3802

Trail Grom
I am looking to do the Tahoe Backcountry Discovery Trail in late August and would appreciate any up to date information people might have on this route. Also thinking of doing it in reverse, driving up to Donner Lake area to start the trip going to French Meadows Reservoir First. Last off if someone has done this recently, which area on the route did you spend or want to spend the most time in and why?

Any help or updates would be much appreciated.

Dennis

casioqv

Trail Grom
I am planning to do the Tahoe trail in reverse direction next week, in my lifted diesel Touareg, I will let you know how it goes.

Snow pack information suggests the Meadow Lake area, which is the highest elevation part of the route, likely has snow still. So I am planning to merge parts of the main and alternate routes to bypass the entire northeastern loop. This means either (1) heading west from Bowman Lake to Scotchman Creek Falls, or (2) heading north just after Bowman Lake, directly towards Keystone Gap. If anyone reccomends one of these over the other please let me know!

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
If you're into the gold rush era history, I'd consider the alternative track that goes through Washington, Malakoff Diggins, etc. Really cool over there, but there's a tun of mining history at that end of the track. Be prepared for some pinstriping around the loop section out to BigValley Bluff Overlook-- but awesome views at the viewpoint!

casioqv

Trail Grom
Thanks! Which of the two ways back to Camptonville would you consider more quiet, remote, and/or scenic? I am interested in the mining history, but was thinking to avoid that route because of the comment in the trail description about how Washington is a popular spot for partying and OHVs.

dennis_c-3802

Trail Grom
I am planning to do the Tahoe trail in reverse direction next week, in my lifted diesel Touareg, I will let you know how it goes.

Snow pack information suggests the Meadow Lake area, which is the highest elevation part of the route, likely has snow still. So I am planning to merge parts of the main and alternate routes to bypass the entire northeastern loop. This means either (1) heading west from Bowman Lake to Scotchman Creek Falls, or (2) heading north just after Bowman Lake, directly towards Keystone Gap. If anyone reccomends one of these over the other please let me know!
Thanks,

Hope you have an amazing trip and looking forward to any info you have about the trip after you get back.

dennis_c-3802

Trail Grom
If you're into the gold rush era history, I'd consider the alternative track that goes through Washington, Malakoff Diggins, etc. Really cool over there, but there's a tun of mining history at that end of the track. Be prepared for some pinstriping around the loop section out to BigValley Bluff Overlook-- but awesome views at the viewpoint!
Ben,

Sounds like your familiar with the area. Like I mentioned in the original post, I will be going up there in late August. Will be with three other people (four rigs) and looking for some relaxing camping and hopefully fishing. Any suggestions on where to focus the time? We will also want to see the gold mining towns along the way but trip is more for camping and fishing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dennis

OTG Ben

OTG Principal Explorer
Staff member
Admin
Ben,

Sounds like your familiar with the area. Like I mentioned in the original post, I will be going up there in late August. Will be with three other people (four rigs) and looking for some relaxing camping and hopefully fishing. Any suggestions on where to focus the time? We will also want to see the gold mining towns along the way but trip is more for camping and fishing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dennis

For gold mining history, the lost sierra 4x4 trail is a much better route. However, there is a decent amount of gold rush and mining history along the Tahoe BDT near the official beginning (starting at Camptonville). You'll find a wealth of history at locations like Malakoff Diggings SP, Washington, and Henness Pass Road. Once you climb up Henness pass to higher elevation, you're largely outside of the realm where gold prospecting happened, which tended to be at lower elevations, and not in granite slab country.

casioqv

Trail Grom
Update on my trip: Unfortunately, our built overlanding vehicle was in need of repairs, so we ended up with a free dealer loaner- a brand new VW Atlas, which has very limited offroad ability. It's more or less a tough looking 3-row minivan, although it does have excellent traction control and hill descent control.

We ended up just going straight from HWY 20 to Bowman Campground at Bowman lake, and spending the entire week at one site. We had an incredible time, and will be back to explore the entire trail when we have our more capable vehicle back.

We found one part of Bowman Lake road - the steep switchback as it climbs the grade just to the northwest of the dam, to have very deep holes that I wouldn't recommend people attempting with stock lower ground clearance vehicles like Sprinters or Subarus. It would be *possible* in such vehicles if you are very skilled, have good traction control that will let you climb a grade on two wheels, and don't mind risking some damage. We actually made it past the worst obstacle but decided to turn back anyways, and got into the lake through the more northern Meadow Lake road, which was in much better condition.